HMS Belfast 1/600 airfix kit with aftermarket accessories, PE and wooden deck.

metadyne

Here we go with the Famous Belfast, an old Airfix kit with new add on's to bring it up.

spacer.png

I'm building this for my brother in law who informed me over Christmas dinner just gone, that his and Mrs Metadyne's Uncle George was a Boswain on board Belfast on one of the Gunnery Directors. So, always keen for a model to stay in the family, he'll get this on his Birthday later summer 2022, in a glass case. So I'm throwing the kitchen sink at this, I have the pe set and wood deck for it.

spacer.png

Edited by metadyne
typo
  • Like 4

first Fubar with this kit, a kind of Ski sunday challenge at the bow deck.

spacer.png

simple solutions work the best, clamped it to a block of wood before applying hot water, then cold water.

spacer.png

pleased with that.

spacer.png

quick tape up just to check for fit and distortion.

spacer.png

• Like 6

so far so good, this looks set for a positive outcome.

spacer.png

and the stern deck fit is just as good. Now, do those wood decks go over the kit one's, or is there cutting to do?

spacer.png

• Like 8

it would appear that the deck is a thin veneer that simply covers the kit deck, It's always been one of those issues, the deck colour, so subtle and hard to get right, this may be an answer.

spacer.png

so, the procedure will be as follows, cut out and match the deck part to the kit part, sand down any raised deck detail on the kit part and spray paint the parts grey, apply the veneer part to the kit. I think.

spacer.png

• Like 10

16 hours ago, Boydie said:

I'll be following, I got the exact same extras you do for this kit. What year are you gonna present her in?

That is the important question isn't it, with a ship that has had such a long and distinguished career, especially one that had a refit in her first year after a mine nearly saw her on the bottom. The pe parts will guide me, though as Paul's Uncle was on her During the Normandy period,  I should research that time of her service. I think her bridge may need altering, have you got any ref material you could chuck up?

• Like 1

the first parts the propeller shafts, always best done before any upper works.

spacer.png

midships deck fit looking good, we have a positive start.

spacer.png 

such a sleek design, she's going to look great in a long thin glass case when she's done.

spacer.png

• Like 8

3 hours ago, metadyne said:

That is the important question isn't it, with a ship that has had such a long and distinguished career, especially one that had a refit in her first year after a mine nearly saw her on the bottom. The pe parts will guide me, though as Paul's Uncle was on her During the Normandy period,  I should research that time of her service. I think her bridge may need altering, have you got any ref material you could chuck up?

Something I've not looked into yet unfortunately. For mine I was thinking about the Battle of the North Cape.

• Like 1

I have been delving deeply into this excellent publication by Ross Watton. the artwork on the cover is very much like the artwork scheme on the Airfix box art.

spacer.png

spacer.png

this scheme was introduced to the ship after her major three year refit at Portland, she hit a mine in 39. Nearly sent her to the bottom. she lost her Walrus A/C by the time of D Day 6th of June, when Uncle George was getting ready to shell the beach. 

After wearing out her guns providing fire support, she had a refit in July 44, making her ready for operating in the British Pacific Fleet. including converting her A/C Hangers to crew accommodation, as her compliment was increased. Her Bridge was widened and enclosed in 1946 after the results of the Operation Crossroads Able and Baker atomic tests. These lessons showed she needed to have changes to make her more effective in a NBC environment.  The NBC bridge she has now as a museum ship moored on the Thames is not an option in the Airfix kit or the WEM pe set. This picture below, taken in the 1960's shows that wider bridge.

spacer.png 

• Like 5

So to make her as a D Day Belfast, I have to pretty much follow the kit and WEM instructions. Her colour scheme would have been beat up by 44, having been through the North Cape episode, and some Arctic Convoy duty. Her crew might have been tired by June 6 but would have been a tight little unit. Well practiced in their roles and proud to have been part of such a great ship. Here's her narrow Bridge from the Starboard side.

spacer.png

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Just seen this build, good start and glad to see you weren't tempted to modify her so she could launch Harriers from that deck ramp!

Gidday, I've seen a whiffed Belfast that could. 🙂 Hang on, no I think it was a HMS Tiger. Still, the possibility's there. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

The kit includes this very helpful photo of Belfast leaving Scapa flow heading for Normandy, I can copy that colour scheme onto the hull.

spacer.png

read that the seaplane wasn't used but the catapult wasn't removed until her July 44 to April 45 refit.

The PE set provides a replacement for the kit one that joins the main deck, I took that out separating the two halves.

spacer.png

the pe instructions for the catapult.

spacer.png

making a slow start on the colours, but much more to do to get it like the picture.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Hi,

Your build is turning out nicely, and I am watching intently to see how it turns out, and for any tips or recommendations on building the kit.  I have a copy of this kit and hope to make mine look more like the ship as she is now.  

Pat

• Like 1

well Pat the deck detail set is excellent, it fits on so easily.

spacer.png

Building the ship in her final form, as she appear on the Thames as a post war NBC protected Vessel, you'll need to visit and take a shed load of pictures of her.

the Yagi radar Aerials for the radar gun directors, need folding to shape.

spacer.png 

here's the Bridge with Yagi Aerials, PE bridge roof and lattice radar tower.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Hopefully it's not too late but the kit turrets are too shallow, they need to be made higher. Gluing a sheet of plastic card to the roof does the trick nicely. AOTS Belfast shows their proportions correctly.

TBH there's lots of other minor issues and the WEM PE isn't 100% right either, watch out for the rear superstructure ladders and check AOTS. But its a great fun build.

• Like 1