Italeri F8E Crusader VX4

Eis9

I have recently purchased the Italeri kit of the F 8 crusader, and I would like to make the profile from boxes of the VX4 evaluation group, but I found only one photo of the subject, the armament is not clear what it consists of, it looks different from the one provided by the kit, does anyone have more information?

spacer.png

The one in the picture looks like a Sidewinder body, could be an inert round of some kind

In any case VX-4 was a test unit, so they could be seen with any kind of weapon related to the specific test activities carried out at that time, even some that did not enter service.

15 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Quello nella foto sembra un corpo di Sidewinder, potrebbe essere un giro inerte di qualche tipo

In ogni caso VX-4 era un'unità di prova, quindi potevano essere visti con qualsiasi tipo di arma legata alle specifiche attività di test svolte in quel momento, anche alcune che non entravano in servizio.

so without stabilizer fins?

• Like 1

On 06/02/2022 at 11:51, Selwyn said:

The nose is a strange shape. Could possibly be a radar guided AIM9C  Acquisition round?

Selwyn

Could well be, phot does not quite have the resolution to see 100%

On 2/5/2022 at 10:28 AM, Eis9 said:

I have recently purchased the Italeri kit of the F 8 crusader, and I would like to make the profile from boxes of the VX4 evaluation group, but I found only one photo of the subject, the armament is not clear what it consists of, it looks different from the one provided by the kit, does anyone have more information?

spacer.png

Hi All,

Seems everyone is on the right track as to what the missile body is. I would guess that this is the beginnings of the pre ACMI pods of the future. The missile body is either a AIM-9B or C body. The orange and black section is the location of the influence fuse and warhead section. The nose is white and the very tip an off white but when blown up in WIN10 photos can't tell if it's transparent or not. It's over part of the white section of the insignia.

In the spring of 1973 at Clark AFB Phillippines the 405th TFW started up first test or combat sage that it later was named. What came to Clark was a specially modified F-4E with the 559 mod. Which had the new slats and TISEO installed. Loaded were 4 AIM-7 missiles with an electronic package in place of the warhead. I don't recall the number but was linked to what the TISEO read and the equipment that was in the rear cockpit. So that being said, I would not be surprised that missile body is some type of sensing equipment.

I have in my stash 5 old ESCI 1/48th scale F-8 Crusaders. May try to make one up as the picture or not. Just a thought.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker