Land Rover srs II Marine Blue - Vallejo Air similar?

bootneck

As the header states, I'd like to paint my srs II Land Rover kit in Marine Blue colour; however, I only have Vallejo paints,  Is there a matching Vallejo equivalent or very close match?

cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike. First thing that I did when you posted this Q was to open the catalogue and run an image search for Land Rover Marine Blue... and immediately realised that it wouldn't help me much! 😬 Between the variations in photos, new and old vehicles, and possibly series changes as well, I decided that your guess would be better than mine, especially as you know your Land Rovers. I saw several candidates, depending on all these factors, but none which I'm confident about.

So my only contribution is to give you a link to the catalogue in case you don't already have a copy and to give you a tip that most of the swatches (especially in the mid-tones) are darker and a little bit more saturated than the real paint. Looking at shop photos of the bottles, which will show up in image searches, can help. If in doubt, buy a light blue and/or white and maybe a sea green and/or dark blue along with your best guesstimate and then you can shift it if needed.

No easy answer, unfortunately. Best of luck.

Edited by Ade H

On 05/02/2022 at 17:20, bootneck said:

As the header states, I'd like to paint my srs II Land Rover kit in Marine Blue colour; however, I only have Vallejo paints,  Is there a matching equivalent or very close match?

cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I Land Rover marine blue colour code is 006. If you ask someone like Zero paints, they’ll mix the right colour for you airbrush ready. Links below:

Paintref

Zero paints

Hope this helps!

cheers,

Paul

Thanks guys but I think my question has been slightly misunderstood.  I was asking if there was an equivalant colour to Marine Blue in the Vallejo range of modelling paints.  I already mix up colours to match but, obviously, no two mixes come out exactly the same.  I cannot afford to keep changing brands, or go to bespoke producers, so I am hoping a fellow Vallejo user might know of a matching Vallejo number.

cheers,
Mike

Not by number, no. I mostly judge paints by eye, but that's partly because I'm so used to judging colours by eye every day. Have a look through the catalogue and you'll see a few possible candidates.

Hi Ade,

yes, I have those catalogues and, as you say, the printed paper isn't the same as actual.  I am making swatches of the colours and it is a very slow process; however, I may just be re-inventing the wheel here and someone may already have the information.

spacer.png

cheers,
Mike

• 2 years later...
Posted (edited)

Good afternoon @bootneck - I am planning to build an AK Land Rover series 2 soon, finished in classic Marine Blue so was wondering if you had found a decent Vallejo match?

thanks

Gareth 

Edited by gtulley

On 16/05/2024 at 14:16, gtulley said:

Good afternoon @bootneck - I am planning to build an AK Land Rover series 2 soon, finished in classic Marine Blue so was wondering if you had found a decent Vallejo match?

thanks

Gareth 

Hi Gareth,

as you can see by the lack of responses, I didn't get anywhere with the correct colour for Marine Blue.  I mixed up various blues to get the colour of the Landy in the image above; however, I cannot remember which colours I used.

cheers,
Mike