Is there a kit of this Land Rover?

bootneck

My nursey daughter used to be in St John's Ambulance for many years, before she became too busy nursing, and these images show the Land Rover she used. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'd like to build a model of it at 1:35 scale for her.  I've seen similar vehicle kits but they mainly represent military versions in Iraq and Afghanistan etc., which probably had different wheels, windows and protective coverings.  Can anyone please advise me of a kit that would be nearest in shape to this one?

cheers,

Mike

That model ambulance is based on the standard LWB 5-door station wagon, which is not kitted in 1/35 in any material.  They're all 3-doors.  Italeri did a 5-door in 1/24 but it was a Series 3, not a Defender.

In 1/35 plastic your only start point is the Hobbyboss Defender hard-top van, although that is a later baseline Defender model.  In 1/76, Oxford Diecast do several Defender station wagons you might use.  Some like the Garda version even come with light bars you might be able to re-use.

spacer.png

There was a resin version available in 1/35 however it was made by a Japanese company as a very short run [yes I’ve got one ] but as Das says most of the stuff produced is three door but adding an extra door is no drama .again there are resin 110s available if you are prepared to search again I’ve several but as stated the easiest route would be the hobby boss kit back dated to a 110 with the scratch parts ..

8 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

In 1/35 plastic your only start point is the Hobbyboss Defender hard-top van, although that is a later baseline Defender model. 

spacer.png

Thanks DA,  I need to get some practice with working on vehicle kits and could have a go with one of those kits.  I have just checked, this Defender kit is still available in the shops, so I shall order a couple; one as an OOB and the other for some conversion practice. 

2 hours ago, viper-30 said:

There was a resin version available in 1/35 however it was made by a Japanese company as a very short run [yes I’ve got one ] but as Das says most of the stuff produced is three door but adding an extra door is no drama .again there are resin 110s available if you are prepared to search again I’ve several but as stated the easiest route would be the hobby boss kit back dated to a 110 with the scratch parts ..

Thanks for that info viper,  I do like resin but find it to be rather expensive for my budget, especially if buying in from abroad,  Whilst dabbling with the Tamiya SAS Land Rover, to convert to a series II SWB,  I had a go at 3D printing the rear panels. In the image below, the grey panels were drawn in Fusion360 and 3D printed on my Anycubic photon.

spacer.png

Similarly, if I can find some decent plans for a five door Defender, I could have a try at producing the extra doors and windows,   Would you know if the windows on the Italeri [6542] Land Rover Series III "Guardia Civil" kit match and fit the Hobbyboss kit?  If so, then I could also get that kit and use it as a template

spacer.png

Thanks to both for your help, on this and previous queries, you have been a great source for information with my new modelling venture :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Mike

Hi dcrfan,

that does look very close to what I am looking for but what an unusual scale.  It doesn't seem to fit with either 1:48 or 1:35 scales.  I think I shall concentrate on 1:35 and maybe do some conversion work.

Thanks for the links.

Mike

And who exactly though that mixing metric and Imperial to end up with 7mm to the foot was a good idea........................?  What was wrong with good old sensible and easily calculateable 1/4 inch to the foot 1/48??  Railway modellers..............

Hi Mike, 

Italeri's guardia civil vehicle has (apart from not being a Defender, of course) the problem of offering neither doors behind the b pillars nor windows that would be okay to just "paint a door round it"... I used it anyway to build the police Landy from Death in Paradise, discarded the window section and used clear sheet instead. 

• Thanks 1

Hello Johnny,  thanks for that info; every little helps.  Do you have any photos of yor Police landy?  That's another version I hadn't thought about....  :doh:  .....until now!

Cheers,

Mike

14 hours ago, bootneck said:

Oops,  crawling back into my not-knowing-very-much hideyhole

Yeah I suspect there are more 1/43 vehicle models/toys in the world than 35th or 48th

Edited by dcrfan

2 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

And who exactly though that mixing metric and Imperial to end up with 7mm to the foot was a good idea........................?  What was wrong with good old sensible and easily calculateable 1/4 inch to the foot 1/48??  Railway modellers..............

Sadly, lost in the mists of time. You are quite right that quarter inch makes more sense, but nothing about UK model railway scales makes much sense!

Ironically the Hobbyboss US Ranger RSOV is both the earlier and correct Defender model and has a 5-door floorpan.  But no doors and no upper bodywork, so not a lot of help. 

I don't think you can use anything from the Italeri S3 hardtop here.  The windows are different shapes and wind-down one-piece rather than sliding 2-piece.  Scribing and plastic card to the rescue......  Fortunately the roof here is fairly boxy with small-radius corners.  Thick card and sanding should work.  I made a 1/24 Range-Rover ambulance several decades ago from an Italeri kit, but that had a much more curved roof I had to heat-form from plastic card over a balsa former.

9 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

........... the Hobbyboss US Ranger RSOV is both the earlier and correct Defender model and has a 5-door floorpan.  But no doors and no upper bodywork, so not a lot of help.

I've mentioned this before, that I know very little about these vehicles; although I am trying my best to catch up on the subject.  It shouldn't come as any surprise that I am learning much from these little snippets. 

It seems that Hobbyboss is my friend for Defenders, whilst Italeri is there for Series III Land Rovers and Tamiya for Series II.  I do have a Silhouette/Cricut type of cutter, so cutting parts out of styrene sheet isn't a problem.  I may have to use the photo as a plan because I doubt if there is an actual set of plans for this.

Right,  off to search for a Hobbyboss US Ranger RSOV!  I have been selling off some of my aircraft and ship kits, just to be ready for requirements such as this.

Thanks, again.  :thumbsup:

Mike

If you can find out who built that ambulance they might have some drawings, assuming they're still in business. A lot of emergency vehicle builders have gone under.

I think that one was possibly built by MMB International. If so, they folded in about 2014. Or so their still-extant Facebook page says.

Edited by Das Abteilung
addition

On 06/02/2022 at 20:33, bootneck said:

Do you have any photos of yor Police landy?

Just to complete things, here are some pics (maybe to serve as inspiration for the next build ;) )

spacer.png

my attempt at recreating Bough (here in Germany, I knew him only from Johnny English)

spacer.png

hand painted markings...

spacer.png

6cd7b68e861b290f8860f445a88149f4.jpg

I obviously scratched those myself...

bffd4650e3e46174789955ef30107cfd.jpg

the flashlight bar was made with UV-hardening putty...

I hope you have fun!

• Like 1