Does anyone have any helpful tips for centring a 0.69mm drill to drill out the muzzle of a 1/72 50mm gun barrel? 😓

(Might have to be a 0.50mm drill.)

Edited by echen

As it worked out it was a 0.3mm drill bit for the gun muzzle.

y4mbK7x52fA93BbTA9vVSEpzrLw-7og8BWye9TGy

y4m4YBDlsH3I90DhqGP86cCAux8VioR4cyUWDZj5

Edited by echen
Updated to better pix
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...

Various hatch covers and applique armour now added and a basecoat of AK753 RAL 7028 Dunkelgelb (Initial) NR17.

y4mgpCO74pTGAw7ycde3bDMRP7ZI1MeMc88lP_Qu

I tried to drill out the support frame for the mantlet armour and only succeeded in massacring the part.

y4mJXp-cHiNNmVDk9FcFVbN7Gi5OXBWUKRr9lbSu but I cut some small tabs of plastic sheet to add between the applique armour and the mantlet and, maybe, I've salvaged things a little.

It's not strictly accurate but it's not left empty as it might have been if I'd just left it as is.

Not sure what is next. I really want to see the tracks painted but I'm debating which will be easier. Getting the tracks done and then having to get tyre colour between the hub and the painted track or painting the tyres with only the hubs to cut up to and then painting the tracks with only the tyres to cut up to.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!

• Like 6

The downside of having a memory like a goldfish is that...um...well...er, never mind.

Before I put the basecoat on the Pz III I planned to correct the grab handles over the escape hatches with wire.

I noticed today that it hadn't happened and decided it ought to be done.

First I reduced the plastic ridges that pass for handles then I drilled the first hole.

Unfortunately it was far too big for the wire so I had to fill it and re-drill.

y4m23hgE44HdTKbgyy8UEYqDXVQuxQOUS9tKeThg So now its ready for some suitably bent wire that, hopefully, will look a bit better.

Might need a little more tidying before it gets painted again.

Also I came to a conclusion about painting the running gear. After trying to paint the tyres on my T80 BV between the painted rims and the painted tracks I will DEFINATELY paint the Pz. III tyres first and then the tracks.

Edited by echen
  • Like 2

Am building the same kit at the moment so am keen to learn from your struggles and innovative solutions. 

If you can get link and length tracks to look that good under the camera's cruel magnification, you must be doing something right.  Keep it up!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

you must be doing something right

Thanks @Seahawk. @Sgt.Squarehead has been a great source of information. I've managed  a T80BV and initiated my Tiger I Ausf E on the Tiger Super-thread where I've got 2 detachable track runs fitted round the sprocket, the idler and the middle row of wheels. There's certainly an element of "hit and miss" with these things but practice makes perfect, as they say.

There are some tips I've collected for these L&L tracks on page 1 of my Tiger II WIP if they're any help.

Grab handles now added ready for re-painting.

y4mo6osEokZHjdJJdGs0jTqWhJ8FvYavdRR0V7n4

I think they're a bit overscale but better than the plastic ridges they replace.

Edited by echen
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Bit disappointed with first stab at tyre painting on constructed track run.

y4mIyAyt6vIDJGInKg0DnvLR08XG8Y6sJvOKKiXk

y4mhhQyQZ1NwRgMJvyBKfWJBHEsFlHBp6-WK4UCS

I found it very fiddly to get the hairy stick to go where I wanted it to - and even trickier to get the paint to park where I wanted it.....

Looks like I'll need to re-do the dunkelgelb to tidy up the rims - which are not as pronounced as I'd hoped.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

They look super tricky to paint.

They are!

2 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

No chance my hand would be steady enough to even attempt. Masks??

How does one centre a mask on the uneven surface of a tiny wheel? 

I tried white-tac but couldn't get it to cover only the bits I wanted. Also I only use a hairy stick and I'm not sure a mask would work so well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

They look super tricky to paint.

I think, next time, I'll put the wheels together and pre-paint front and back leaving the rims clear. Tyres are much easier to paint if you can hold the brush and rotate the wheel.

The bare rims would then stick to the tracks and then could be touched in without needing to cut in to the dunkelgelb.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, echen said:

Looks like I'll need to re-do the dunkelgelb to tidy up the rims - which are not as pronounced as I'd hoped.

I think I would paint the entire thing black(or whatever you choose to paint the tire) and cut a wheel sized circle into a cardstock mask to paint the wheel. You could tack/tape the cardstock in place before shooting the paint. Edited to add- as long as the overspray is minimal, a pin wash will usually sharpen up the line between wheel and tire. 

Edited by xebec
  • Confused 1

AH-I see- I guess you are brush painting all of this. Do you have a hole punch close to the wheel diameter- maybe punch a mask from tape? I would definitely not be steady enough to paint those fixed tires with a brush....I admire you guys that can still work in that scale. 

Edited by xebec
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your comment @xebec. My hole punch is way too big.

I think that, if I can't tidy the tyres, they might get a bit muddy. I'm looking to build this as one of the Pz IIIs attached to Schwere Panzer Battalion 503 at Kursk in support of my Tiger I Ausf H. I understand that the ground got really churned up at Kursk for some reason.....

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Tracks and paint finally met.......

y4mWfnEyuKYLW6W2DsqfwztEfFgEBsUHnRqLP9x8

y4mTrydCfSmNMdGBvv0N-OEBFUEFxhm-RCH8LWID

Debating a little tidying on the road and return rollers or to leave as is and rely on weathering and/or mud.

At least a little progress.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Good job, coming along nicely, 

@FrancisGL Thank you for your kind comment. My Pz III is parked on my desk next to a couple of Tiger Is and a Jagdpanther, all 1/72. Even next to these it looks really small.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...