1:48 Eduard Spitfire Mk.I Battle of Britain

13 minutes ago, shortCummins said:

if I didn't write things like paint mixing ratios or the sequence of adding weathering effects down, I'd quickly forget them, now all I have to do is remember what colour was on what model and I've half a chance at getting the result(s) more or less in the ball park of what I'd intended, some times 😊

I know what you mean John, my memory can be shot at times LOL.

But the notes added does help others.

Keep up  the good work sir.

Simon.

Edited by Spookytooth
Additional text.
  • Like 1

51938761420_48b322aeb0.jpg

There was something I wasn’t happy with for the exhaust stains, I think it was the raw umber ink had made it too bright a brown? anyhow, first I remained the dark earth and green so that I could start them again.

Dark green was the first colour to be applied, unfortunately this over-sprayed the fuel tank decal.

51938715122_b21400e5f0_c.jpg

51940025379_9cb9c80333_c.jpg

The dark earth mix was used to cover the last of the exhaust stains.

51939785463_10c9e205b7_c.jpg

51938715107_1c9957dba6_c.jpg

My previous “dark” stain was a mix of green black and brown with added raw umber ink, this time I opted for a simple heavily diluted Tamiya XF-85 rubber black, this was more like thinner with a drop of paint added, built up in several coats.

51940581130_21a4ee940a_c.jpg

51940284614_9fedb62325_c.jpg

Once the darker stain had dried several light coats of equally heavily thinned XF-57 buff were used to build up the centre of the stain.

51938974692_f0dbdda4b9_c.jpg

51938974667_978af97ae6_c.jpg

I'm happier with the exhaust stains now, I think their too dark, I should have added less layers and made them more "transparent" but I'm in danger of really messing it up if I keep on trying to "improve" them so their as good as there going to get.

Next I’ll be bolting on the missing bits’n’bobs…

until next time

as always, any suggestions, criticisms or comments will be gratefully received.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 6

51938974647_5e8b8a070b.jpg

Before I add the final pieces I first gave the wholes airframe a coat of MRP-127 matt varnish.

The landing gear was attached…

51940780037_00c7d83792_c.jpg

…followed by the pitot tube…

51941768491_82235aed5c_c.jpg

…and the rudder actuator.

51942383990_3a7dd474e8_c.jpg

The exhaust pipes and fuel filler cap were fitted.

51941853788_0468735ff9_c.jpg

Masks were removed from the cockpit glass.

51942255199_2914a4b8d4_c.jpg

51940945727_4494754515_c.jpg

The morse-code light was glued in place.

51941934936_e6ae9348b5_c.jpg

Ariel mast attached after a hole for the wire was drilled into the base. Very early on I managed to break off the airier wire attachment on the rudder, so it was reattached, and then the Ariel wire, EZline, stretched between.

51942255169_467d968c9f_c.jpg

Finally the propellor was nailed in place.

51942549520_3b0e29167d_c.jpg

51942255139_813ef94f56_c.jpg

Here’s a couple of black and white versions…

51941934901_c0da50dc87_c.jpg

51942019843_854fb9bd56_c.jpg

Next I’ll be taking some photos for the RFI, when the weather allows…

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 10

15 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Looks absolutely wonderful John.

A welcome addition to any shelf.

Simon.

thanks Simon

its a really good kit and I can't really believe that its my first Battle of Britain Spitfire, the brown and green camo' is so iconic 

14 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Excellent!

The exhaust stains look much better and the weathering on the propeller blades looks very realistic to me. One point if I may, in the B&W photos the exhausts look a little shiny.

John

🇺🇦

thanks John

I'm still not 100% with the exhaust stains but I think their better than my first attempt. "in real life" the exhausts aren't shiny, they are a dull stained metal colour, having said that they are "brighter" than the rest of the aircraft.

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks lovely John, love the black and white pics.

Great work 

Chris

thanks Chris

it was John's idea to show her in black and white, it certainly makes her look more "realistic" as that's how we see aircraft from that era , apart from the odd "hand coloured" examples.

4 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Another lovely result, John. Have you any plans for what to build next?

James

thanks James

I've not made my mind up just yet, which is unusual for me normally I get an idea about what I want to do next towards the end of a build, I've not too many kits in my stash, at least that's what I tell my wife, so I'm currently thinking about either...

another Spitfire, I've got Eduard's "new" MkV that I fancy doing as a night fighter, but I think that building 3 Spitfires in a row would be a bit too much?

an Airfix Hurricane that I'm tempted to do "naked", just wood, fabric and aluminium,

Revell's Stearman Kaydet, another "naked" build,

an Eduard Hellcat, I really liked the group build, this one I'm tempted in stealing your red drone scheme and

a Revell/Hasagawa FGR2 Phantom I quite fancy the green and grey scheme although Xtradecal have a very nice aftermarket decal set that includes a raspberry ripple scheme, recently there have been some very nice examples in the RFI section, and the Colonial Navy scheme, as I can't decide which scheme I like best I think the Phantom will be further down my list

I'm sure I'll make my mind up in the next day or so

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 3

All good choices there, John. After your other naked builds, I'm quite looking forward to the Hurricane and the Kaydet (not that that should influence what you build, I'll be following the next project regardless)

James

Very nice, John.  I’m glad you reworked the exhaust stains and the that, with the rest of the finish combines to a really nice BoB Spitfire.

All of your choices for next build look interesting, but for what it’s worth my vote is for the naked Hurricane.  That would definitely be one to follow.

• Like 1

51941934886_20b582c43b.jpg

So I’ve come to the end of my Battle of Britain Spitfire MkI and I’ve really enjoyed it.

Eduard have excelled themselves with this kit, I’ve always liked their Spitfire’s but the “tweaks” they’ve made, such as allowing the exhausts to be added at the end of the build and both raised and recessed rivets make this even more of a joy to build, paint and weather.

I managed to get half an hour or so to take some photos and you can see the RFI photos here…

Here’s a sneak-peak

51956449876_a0bc8f229a_c.jpg

51956511138_4b05c2642c_c.jpg

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 6

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great to follow this build John, have enjoyed it. Been over and commented on the RFI.

What's next on the bench?

Chris

thanks Chris

I've decided on the "naked" Hurricane, I was very tempted to build a BoB version to sit alongside this Spitfire but I don't really fancy doing another camo' scheme just yet, so I'm in for lots and lots and lots of masking.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, shortCummins said:

thanks Chris

I've decided on the "naked" Hurricane, I was very tempted to build a BoB version to sit alongside this Spitfire but I don't really fancy doing another camo' scheme just yet, so I'm in for lots and lots and lots of masking.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Oooooo a naked Hurricane,  looking forward tobthat John.

Chris