Tamiya Honda RC211V 2002

slippers

Here's what I started with... 

DSC_0639.jpg

The kit was sealed when I bought it and upon inspection the decals looked pristine. I'm aware that older Tamiya decals have a want for self-combustion, but I'd managed well enough with older sets in the past so went on my way. 

Things stated to go wrong... 

SAM_0126.jpg

The decals just fell apart when any distortion was required. 

I was using water heated via a pad and Mr Hobby's Mark Setter. 

I tried to patch as best I could but, as you can see, that wasn't too good! 

I knew that the larger side decals would be a bigger problem so attempted to cut most of these away and paint but wasn't confident enough to take all of the red away.

SAM_0127.jpg

What I'm left with is an unmatched and ropey looking result (the colour match with the red looked good on test spoons, honest!) The white did crack at the angle so I resorted to melting the cracks. Well, you can clearly see the outcome of that! 

I resorted to buying replacement decals from a Chinese ebay seller (Global Toy) as these decals are next to impossible to find. 

They arrived today and are unusable as the quality and colour is abysmal. Always a good chance that this was going to be the case but I had to find out. 

So now I beseech the fine members of this forum to please help me finish this kit. If anyone can supply a scan of this decal sheet I would be most grateful and would reimburse you for your efforts. I see no other way to complete this so am at your mercy. Thanks for any help that you can offer. 🙂

I have now, too late, invested in Microsol Liquid Decal Film. Horse is now wild due to bolting so long ago! 

I also neglected to scan myself as was working from home until a couple of weeks ago and don't own a scanner (I know, I know; I should've found a way) . 

In the meantime, here's the current state of play... 

20220114_171345.jpg

20220114_171449.jpg

20220114_171542.jpg

20220114_171641.jpg

20220114_171740.jpg

20220114_171812.jpg

I do love an unfaired bike but it does really need to be completed so I live in hope that you chaps can help me. 

Cheers, 

Edited by slippers

2 hours ago, Mumbly said:

I have this in the pile of “waiting to be built”.  What do you need as I can scan my decals for you.

You absolute star! 

The entire main sheet would be preferable, please. 

Please just let me know what you'd like for your help. 

Edited by slippers

I have sent them on to the email listed, I hope they go through as I am not sure on the file size maximums.  If not, I can set it up on OneDrive or similar. 

No need for any money - if I wanted the cash, I would be selling the kit.

As a question, any ideas what the Repsol '02 211v is worth?

I have the very rare fork set 

The Top Studio Clutch

Studio 27 etch set

MFH Chain

Crazy Modeler resin brakes.

This kit is going for silly money on Ebay so with the extras it could pay next months gas bill (just). 

Thanks 

Tony

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Stef N. said:

It looks great without fairings but you're right that it does need to be completed, especially in the Repsol colouring. I wish Tamiya would re-release these kits. Good luck in your quest.👍

I think Tamiya have missed an opportunity not to reissue of all of the Rossi kits to mark his retirement.

That would be a huge list though.

16 minutes ago, Mumbly said:

As a question, any ideas what the Repsol '02 211v is worth?

I'm only up to date with Asian prices nowadays. It's always over $100 on the Japanese sites and auctions. All of the extras will certainly add a pretty penny to the total. 

I'd expect a few on here would be interested. 

15 minutes ago, Mumbly said:

I think Tamiya have missed an opportunity not to reissue of all of the Rossi kits to mark his retirement.

That would be a huge list though.

A few of the decal companies were releasing sheets last year but then the kits weren't available at a sensible price. Wasted opportunity as you say.

8 minutes ago, slippers said:

I'm only up to date with Asian prices nowadays. It's always over $100 on the Japanese sites and auctions. All of the extras will certainly add a pretty penny to the total. 

I'd expect a few on here would be interested. 

I'd expect well into three figures in price and I am too tight.😀

• slippers changed the title to Tamiya Honda RC211V 2002