Stripping Metallic finish

Old John

I have little trouble stripping chrome off my models, the varnish underlay is a different story. This is often very uneven. anyone successfully chemically removed it.? 

DOT 4 Brake fluid? I've used it to strip all types of paint off car bodies, only once had a problem with it making some parts of the body slightly brittle - and that was probably because I forgot about it and left it soaking for over three months! 

Don't know if it will work on the varnish you mention as I've never had a problem with it, I just strip the chrome, prime and respray.

Keith

Hi Keith Thank you Strip & spray is my usual way,but I find on a some old 70s manufactured kits the varnish is pretty rough.The one at the moment is a 1 16th scale Rolls Royce Balloon car & it has lots of very small & fragile chromed parts which I want to do brass.Never used brake fluid ( well not for a model car) will give it a try on spare sprue & see. The chrome is off it is just the dodgy varnish I would still like to remove. Some you can scrape off, but i may just have to live with the others if brake fluid doesn't work well.

• Like 1

I can echo the DOT 4 brake fluid. Always worked for me.

It can make the plastic a bit brittle, juts leave it in long enough to remove the varnish.

Edited by Alan R
typo
  • Like 1