Sopwith Camel, Eduard 1/48, new tool - Hinchliffes "Donner-Wetter"

Sopwith Camel  

My first finished model of 2022 is the new tooled Sopwith Camel by Eduard in 1/48, from the Limited Edition Dual Combo boxing. I used also a lot of accessories and some parts are scratched from wood and metal.

The pilot was Walter George Raymond Hinchliffe, the commander of the C-Flight of the 10 Squadron of the RNAS.

A detailed build log can be found here:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=12717.0

And now have fun with the pictures!

uc?export=view&id=19hFkLdm-o-hnvNBtBoFY8

uc?export=view&id=1deJfKtcPwxqiQC6bpNIYj

uc?export=view&id=1QtmVAoaJw-zsV27MET_2k

uc?export=view&id=1dmJqzOPlm_7yC_R-L5Hx-

uc?export=view&id=1oeybpI4PuVlqN2RncXfDx

uc?export=view&id=1wN-_kTcnxNDHkUMGF6VF5

uc?export=view&id=1n_RMZY9GKPL7XLOUMRNGP

uc?export=view&id=1MZIgFbp2UzbWsme-tQXyu

uc?export=view&id=1Tl2p55a0DJ7U6mDsm8oBE

uc?export=view&id=1ft58F_cinfrHUihgc9O6_

uc?export=view&id=1UO0wWAtJrKChFW4SYaHTS

uc?export=view&id=1ZClkNGy3yWaB8V3qKtkWp

uc?export=view&id=1KcieARHRUxfUWPxWozFFn

uc?export=view&id=1d_yNuQMbxHO4KEZLGOqSo

uc?export=view&id=1pFSplXl_XA5XOpAxMs1Wv

If you liked my little Camel, then hit the keys! Criticism is also welcome, of course, as we want to improve.

Cheers,
Frank

• Like 61
  • Thanks 5

May be I should show also some details.

The seat (3D print by Eduard)

uc?export=view&id=1CtwsbThmuBwRBlIHRmucA

Some fuel connections in the cockpit

uc?export=view&id=1i_sqBmRz7hisu8CYigJ-9

uc?export=view&id=1nR9Ii5PN-yAuzPbdXrHvV

The Vickers are the Eduard Brassin:

uc?export=view&id=1UaHngB3FTbLxsp-AkeWrg

I wanted to try a Löök panel for a long time, now I had the chance.

uc?export=view&id=1wpqfhKs_esTH5zZhL6CVG

Wooden struts (I want to have a robust model for transportation).

uc?export=view&id=1hx0k_a6TvXusJHoXHSTMw

Bentley B.R.1, 3D print by Eduard
uc?export=view&id=1uaH6wM4DuLJ-mhauIlMVN

An more robust undercarriage, soldered from brass and wood ...

uc?export=view&id=1--B9vRH6AeoFPzKLMgoBg

with moveable half axles and suspension.

uc?export=view&id=1YSsyGsnM5L-_xEvxBTW25

Rotherham air pump, 3D print and PE by Eduard

uc?export=view&id=11k7gNJlG8KwC0sR40h7Qk

The terminals of the RAF wires of the rigging (no tirnbuckles!) are made by Gaspatch models.

uc?export=view&id=155qdWG9iEqZZEZNfIviHN

The little rigging spider is made from wood and metal:

uc?export=view&id=1IG445wh78dDYJsJAOPDko

Pitot tubes

uc?export=view&id=1PVfsskerhm4IGOS8mXxFU

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bigglesof266 said:

Curiosity begs. In what respect/s does the new tool vary from Eduard's previous 2003 iteration?

It differs in all aspects of modeling. The fit is perfect, fantastic engineering. Some parts click together and hold without glue. I love the new decals, a great amount of markings. For some parts slide moulds are used, e.g. cowlings in one piece with cooling slots. Lot's of options on the sprues, 4 engine types ...

Never build the old edition, but I heard it had some issues.

Cheers,

Frank

• Bughunter changed the title to Sopwith Camel, Eduard 1/48, new tool - Hinchliffes "Donner-Wetter"
39 minutes ago, Bughunter said:

It differs in all aspects of modeling. The fit is perfect, fantastic engineering. Some parts click together and hold without glue. I love the new decals, a great amount of markings. For some parts slide moulds are used, e.g. cowlings in one piece with cooling slots. Lot's of options on the sprues, 4 engine types ...

Never build the old edition, but I heard it had some issues.

Cheers,

Frank

Indeed. I've not built the new one, but have done the old'un and pawed the parts of the new one, and you'd think they were made by different companies. Apart from the much higher precision and accuracy, there is a wealth of useful alternative parts - 4 engines, for instance. The olser kit can still be made up into a good model, and I won't dispose of any of mine (or the Blue Max ones, for that matter) but when the time comes to buy a new one it will be one of these.

Very nice work, Frank.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much for your nice comments to all of you!

17 hours ago, Dogtail2 said:

Only nit-pick I have is the tube coming from the top of the fuel tank. I don't think that's correct, but I guess it's not visible on the finished model anyway.

Do you mean the copper tube inside the cockpit, on the right side?

As far as I know that is no fuel line, but the air for pressurize the tank. There are multiple sources of pressure: the manual air pump, the engine and the external Rotherham air pump. Due to the fact, that the external pump was used on upper struts or on landing gear the ways of the tube was different.

On the Windsock Datafile is a big drawing, which shows, that the pressured air entered the tank on top. In the internet I found only a small version, the fuel and air lines are shown in the upper left drawing:

da20cdae79123efa16a2e02b97b20c49--cutawa

Source: pinterest.com

My other source was a series of high resolution pictures of a Camel by James Fahey. Here is the picture, which shows the air line to the tank. All the pictures are matching the drawing above. There is the brass coupler: the line from the front comes from the engine, the line from down from the hand pump and the line from top from the external Rotherham air pump on the strut. The pressured air goes then to the tank.

spacer.png

But since Camel are produced by a lot of different manufactures there will be differences in such systems.

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 1

Hi Frank,

I was referring to the large tube fitted directly to the top of the tank, shown with the red arrow below. This to my knowledge did not exist.

The other small copper fuel/pressure line details in the cockpit are correct.

51864370450_360c8990c6_o.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ah, ok. I don't have a picture of that area.

If you look at the drawing in the upper post there is a connection from the fuel cap to the tank, but more at the back, because is has to go around the header tank on top.

It doesn't matter, the main thing is that the fuel filler cap is in the right place, that's all you can see from the outside.

11 minutes ago, Bughunter said:

It doesn't matter, the main thing is that the fuel filler cap is in the right place, that's all you can see from the outside.

The brass filler cap should be fitted directly to the tank, and therefore cannot be flush with the rear decking. All you see from outside is a hole in the decking, not the filler cap.  

26266680591_305ea793f5_h.jpg

28708138921_46d8108c5e_h.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I am proud to be able to announce that this model is now shown in the new Eduard-Info journal for April, see page 118/119.:coolio: But be warned, that is a HUGE PDF!
The high-resolution macro shots are merciless! I must mask more carefully ...
https://www.eduard.com/out/media/InfoEduard/archive/2022/info-eduard-2022-04en-app.pdf

That is my second model in this monthly journals :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 2