Jaguar GR1, RAF Germany, early 1980's 1/72nd Hasegawa kit plus bits. Finished!

Mr T

This is my entry for this group build. I will be using the  Hasegawa GR1 kit, which I have had in the stash for some time. The PP Aeroparts stuff and Neomega ejection seat will hopefully add something to the kit. Decals will come from one of my old Modeldecal sheets, although I haven't decided on a squadron yet. Weapon load will be four 1,000 lb bombs with a centre line fuel tank., plus something on the outer wing pylons, possibly an ALQ pod and a Sidewinder,I have photos of 14 Sqn aircraft that show both. 

Jag 01

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Hurrah!, Work started on the Jaguar. Not much, but something tangible. The six parts that make up the two fuselage halves are together. I decided it was easier to put them together this way, as it reduces the chances of steps in the fuselage when it is finally assembled. The interior is painted and the etched brass from the PPAeroparts set have been added. The sear has been painted, but I forgot to include it in the photo. I have built one of the bombs to see how it went. No real problems. I deepened the grooves for the  etched bomb fins which helped a lot to create more surface area for the glue.

51899844314_eaf2233210_c_d.jpg

51899603083_3f79df0553_c_d.jpg

Since the photos were taken, I assembled the fuselage and trial fitted the wing. Looks good so far.

Edited by Mr T
Spelling
  • Like 6

I bought one of these a while back to replace my ageing Airfix kit, so I might enter it in the GB as well. Looks a nice simple kit and I will probably be building OOB. I will watch how yours goes with interest.

Pete

• Like 1

The basic kit is very nice and straightforward. I am adding extras from an aftermarketset that has been in the stash for nearly thirty years zand so ought to be used. 

• Like 1

The wing added and awaiting attention. There is going to be a small amount of filler required and, I want to have the main airframe sorted before adding things that will easily be knocked. Definitely a Jaguar, despite no fin.

51903474336_a4d47636bf_c_d.jpg

Am I correct in assuming the intake interiors are the same colour as the exterior? The photos etc. suggest they are, but checking with those who have had more intimate contact with the Jaguar than I ever would have.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Slow work on this at the moment as decorating the dining room (where my modelling corner in a desk lives). Only a few bits and pieces done as cannot really paint and so some white metal bits sorted. The fuselage and wing pylons and bomb beams have had way braces added, and the 1000 lb bombs have all had their PE fins added, some more than once. The airframe now has intakes and the ejector seat painted. More progress this week as another group build nears completion

51934974297_292a7694c8_c_d.jpg

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Col. said:

If nothing else those bombs are done out of the way and ready for when you can make further progress :) 

TBH, that's what I thought. Same with the pylons, there are a lot of little white metal sway brace fairings to add (22) and so good to get them out of the way. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

a fair bit done to the Jaguar in terms of bits sorted, but not very photogenic. All the stores have metal pins and holes to ensure that they will stay on the pylons and my word there were a lot of them. The airframe has had the last bits of fiddly etch and white metal added. The moulded on IFF aerials have been replaced with some very petit PE  parts that look very much better. Just finished putting some primer on various parts of the aircraft and so airframe paintwork soon. It will overall Grey and Green, and so one less camouflage colour to worry about. It is probably going to be a 31 Sqn aircraft, as I have a complete set of serials etc. off an old Modedecal sheet. After the CF18, you realise how small it is.

51989437267_7ac49c8ae9_c_d.jpg

51989437467_9e80af4cc2_c_d.jpg

• Like 7

Looking good. After your beginning with this I dug out my one if these & have just started, like you getting an F/A-18 out if the way. The fit promises to give a trouble free build. I hope. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, the fit hasn't given me any problems so far, it is a nice kit, even though it first came out nearly forty years ago. The extras from the Flightpath detail set does add something to the kit. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Painted up and photos show it ready for decals. The kit sheet is old and not in very good condition and so the markings will be a combination of kit, Modeldecal and stuff from the spares box. The kit decals have no 'No Step' decals for the wings that my Linewrights guide shows quite clearly. After feeling a bit bogged down with this kit, getting the decals on is a big step forward.

52029198466_fc784f3007_c_d.jpg

52029235883_a781df8954_c_d.jpg

Onwards and upwards, as they say.

• Like 6

The decals are all on, some with difficulty, and final assembly is underway. The pylons are on, and await their stores and the undercarriage is on, although doors and wheels are to be fitted.  The aircraft is one from 31 Sqn. This may be the last update, as hopefully only a couple of hours or so of work left on it. 

52038381550_31747093ab_c_d.jpg

• Like 10

• Mr T changed the title to Jaguar GR1, RAF Germany, early 1980's 1/72nd Hasegawa kit plus bits. Finished!

It turned out to be more than a couple of hours of work in the end, but the Jaguar is finished and in the Gallery. A nice slice of the eighties when I was free and single for a while, although relatively not so well off as a student nurse and newly qualified staff nurse.

• Like 1