PK-39 Northrop F-5B KLu- FINISHED

Hello Folks

My second and last contribution to this Group Build, I have too many unfinished models glaring down at me from the shelf to commit to any more!

As a bored young half dutch boy, swinging on the gate in Oma & Opa's front garden whilst the adults chatted inside, I would often hear the roar of jets screaming over and catch a fleeting glimpse of them before they disappeared behind some buildings. As I was in Tilburg in the south, I have always assumed the they came from Gilze-Rijen, which was just down the road from there but it seems most jets were actually based in the North of the country. Given the size of Holland I guess the flight time from North to South wasn't that great!

Living in the suburbs of London I had never come across fast jets before, most impressive were the Starfighters which were VERY LOUD but I do remember the freedom fighters which I seem to remember were always in close pairs. So here we are. An F-5B, to be finished in KLu markings and filling another slot in the Matchbox GB roster. The contents of the box;

F5B box art F5B decals F5B parts F5B schemes

This will be very much done out of the box and I am not going to worry too much about model accuracy or paint colours. It is going to join my circuit on the ceiling so will never be examined by anyone other than me!

However I will fashion some aircrew as Matchbox didn't include any pigging pilots! In fact there is very little detail at all so this will definitely be a bish, bash bosh model.

So:

BISH!

BASH!!

BOSH!!!

God that was fun.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

That's the spirit, looks almost finished within the very first update. Matchbox kits were designed to be fun, so who wants to bog themselves down on one kit when there's so many more you can build if you bash them out this quickly?  

Once again a nice little childhood back story to go along with the build. This all adds to make each kit that bit more special. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Splosh follows Bosh.

Cockpit and Crew added and painted. They were promoted from an Airfix Tiger Moth Crew and handed a sprue goo bone dome and a flight suit each.

Front Seat is looking at me as if to say "Why Me?" Though to be fair he has a point, as I did chop his head off and glue it back on at a rakish angle!

Splosh

I had to to move the Rear Seat forwards as it was set way too far back by Matchbox. A bit of card was added to blank off any gap. Next step to mask and fit the canopy.

• Like 10

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @erniewise

When we last heard from you, it was all systems go, have you finished it?

cheers Pat

It's still waiting patiently for it's primer so nothing happening on this whilst I'm getting the stringbag to the same stage. The stringbag is still progressing but lot's of tiny steps that I haven't had a chance to document yet.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Paint has been applied!

20220512_170403

The dark green was applied as well. There was a little overspray onto the darke grey. No problem I thought I'll just touch in the grey. Oops used the wrong grey!

20220518_134116

We go again as they say. At least it gives me another opportunity to experience the pleasure of peeling off the copydex!

Cheers

Erik

• Like 7

The paint scheme on this is fighting me all the way. Paint the D Green over the D Grey and get overspray. Touch up the D Grey with wrong grey, touch up the D Grey with the right grey and get grey overspray!!

I think I will use a paint brush and stipple the D Green in!

20220523_104313

Cheers

Erik

• Like 3

I think that I have taken this as far as I want to now. Decals on with a satin varnish topcoat.

A bit of tidying up to do and then masking off the canopy. It's going to join the circuit on my ceiling and I think the finish for it will be adequate for that. Hopefully the next time this appears it will be in the Gallery.

20220530_114853

20220530_114905

Cheers

Erik

• Like 4

• erniewise changed the title to PK-39 Northrop F-5B KLu- FINISHED