Yeti Airlines DHC-6 Twin Otter

Hello all. On this fine Forum there is a Group Build running which is concentrating on Classic Matchbox kits. It is quite a success as at the moment there are 9 pages of builds running, and it is certainly bringing out the nostalgia! My contribution was a Twin Otter (Matchbox ref PK-127) although it was a Revell re-issue. I like to do my Twin Otters in unusual markings, and this Yeti Airlines fits that bill. I got the transfers from Parkes682Decals (in the Manufacturer section on BM). I made a few modifications to the kit, left a few modifications off, and generally had fun. It was sprayed with Halfords Appliance White, but the green was brush-painted with Humbrol 101 mid green and 2 Emerald enamels, thinned with Colourcoats Naphtha Thinners. The gold was three coats of brush-painted Humbrol 16 Gold acrylic. I had a lot of fun, so why not pop over to the GB and have a go!

The build thread (aka catalogue of errors!) is here if you want to see what was done:

Any, here are some piccies:

DSCN8370

DSCN8371

DSCN8372 (2)

DSCN8374

DSCN8375

DSCN8376 (2)

DSCN8380

DSCN8381

Oh yes, I was also daft enough to make some 1/72 scale luggage - a rucksack and a travel bag based on kit I have taken there in the past!

That is it for now, thanks for looking,

Ray

• Like 29

Very fine result, Ray, gratulations! I see here motivation for continuing my Otter's build. Really nice to see your finished Otter. I appreciate scratched extras, especially doors with ladders and tiny, tiny handrails catched my eyes. And of course Karrimor 😉

PS. Good Mr. Santa Claus or Mr. Special Hobby or even Airfix, send us new, modern kit of Twin Otter, please, please , please. Of course, we are all here good girls and boys who love nostalgy and build these old models but to be honest we would love even more modern, easy to build and accurate new model.

Your sincerely

Michał.

PS.

And don't forget floats and skis.

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Looks Nice. I have Revell boxing waiting. I think I will make it in Kar-Air colors. Nice build Sir!

I had to google that, but what a lovely scheme that is - are there markings for it? Thanks for your comment!

2 hours ago, bertielissie said:

Stunning work. Love your striking colours.

Thanks, it took me about five years to pluck up the courage to do that one due to the masking required for the cheat lines! Glad I did now. Thanks for the comment too!

2 hours ago, socjo1 said:

Very fine result, Ray, gratulations! I see here motivation for continuing my Otter's build. Really nice to see your finished Otter. I appreciate scratched extras, especially doors with ladders and tiny, tiny handrails catched my eyes. And of course Karrimor 😉

PS. Good Mr. Santa Claus or Mr. Special Hobby or even Airfix, send us new, modern kit of Twin Otter, please, please , please. Of course, we are all here good girls and boys who love nostalgy and build these old models but to be honest we would love even more modern, easy to build and accurate new model.

Your sincerely

Michał.

PS.

And don't forget floats and skis.

Thanks for that Michal. I keep hoping and hoping someone would do a new kit, but then it probably would not have been £10 each (or £12 now the prices are going up). I am sure Airfix or Special Hobby would do a grand job on it! I am looking forward to seeing yours (and your son's) done.

2 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Lovely Twin Otter! Excellent work. You've done a fair amount of scratch building and those details bring the model into life. I like this a lot.

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks Antti, I did do a fair bit, but there was loads I didn't!

1 hour ago, foxhandybread said:

I have one of these on the bench as we speak and if it comes out a fraction as good as yours, I will be very pleased. Really nice work, particularly with the scratchbuilt doors and luggage, lovely detail. Very cool livery too. 👍

Thanks for that, hopefully you will show your when it is done, good luck with the build!

Cheers all!

Ray

• Like 1