Hello everyone … So for my first Eduard MiG-21 I will be building this. UzrEU0M.jpg

TZ4uyCA.jpg

jRkTiB0.jpg

I wont be using the Marlin decals but plan on building a MiG-21R so will need the roundels and stencils. Here is the Eduard Reconnaissance pod. s2TJAny.jpg

And the obligatory sprue shots. 

GzJrcU9.jpg

CsQ4bo0.jpg

74Q4LGG.jpg

My goal is to do it in this scheme, I presume this was something adorning the Polish MiG-21’s in the later 1980’s or 1990’s. 

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8118541

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or thoughts. I will be adding the Banner created by @Mig EaterC8UoMoF.jpg

Dennis

• Like 12

I'm confused.

You discarding "Merlin" MF decals, in order to build R with a painting scheme of another MF?

R's were a bit different, and all painted silver (not NMF), some pods had a sharkmouths though.

-"Go to square 2, and start again" 😀

Zig

1 hour ago, zigster said:

I'm confused.

You discarding "Merlin" MF decals, in order to build R with a painting scheme of another MF?

R's were a bit different, and all painted silver (not NMF), some pods had a sharkmouths though.

-"Go to square 2, and start again" 😀

Zig

Hello Zigster … Yes other than the roundels I am not using these decals. Personally I dislike commemorative and display aircraft. I much prefer line aircraft. My apologies as I know the camouflage is not 100% correct for an “R” but will be doing it anyways. I already have an Silver PF from a previous build and don't want another one at the moment. My only fallback option would be another air force all together, and Im only interested in Arab or Cuban aircraft. I have Arab decals but not sure if any are an “R”. 

10 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Pretty good looking cockpit colour Dennis, especially as there were slight variations and then theres also weathering to take into account.

Sure I have seen pictures of Egyptian R's if you want me to have a look?

Sure would Craig, I can always use a fallback if my choice is going to upset people. Hopefully the Egyptian “R” wont have the giant orange panels on the aircraft. I like to have full camouflage. 

7 hours ago, franky boy said:

Nice colour match on the paint Dennis. Is it Tamiya?

James

Yes its a mix Ive come up with. MiG Interior Turquoise -  X-14 = 15 + X/XF-2 = 6 + XF-5 = 1 . Though not sure how much the XF-5 green effects the mix ? Anymore than one drop of the XF-5 and it becomes too green to be considered. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

On 2/17/2022 at 1:29 AM, zigster said:

Can you make an "R" from Eduard's MF?

As an airframe, forget the decals.

zig

I believe the only visual thing missing are the wing tip sensors ? Which shouldn't be too hard to scratch build ? The Pod is Eduard A/Market and resin. The photo’s I’ve seen of the Polish aircraft have full length spines just like an MF ? And Ive read that later marks of the R were made from MF’s. But even If I don't the Rules of the build stipulate WHIF’s (What if) are allowed. So why not just consider this build as a WHIF Recon bird. 

However if it bothers you I will ask you to show me a bird from Poland, Egypt, East Germany, Czechoslovakia, or Iraq. I have decals for all of those nations. I would be happy to change my build if another option becomes available ? All I want is a good looking camouflage scheme ? Preferably recon but not required. 

• Like 1

Great choice of kit Dennis! ;)

Cockpit colour looks pretty good. I found this photo which has a good Polish AF MF cockpit;

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/844152/6715-poland-air-force-mikoyan-gurevich-mig-21mf/

Personally I think the Polish camo scheme looks really cool, but your choice!

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I believe the only visual thing missing are the wing tip sensors ? Which shouldn't be too hard to scratch build ? The Pod is Eduard A/Market and resin. The photo’s I’ve seen of the Polish aircraft have full length spines just like an MF ? And Ive read that later marks of the R were made from MF’s. But even If I don't the Rules of the build stipulate WHIF’s (What if) are allowed. So why not just consider this build as a WHIF Recon bird. 

However if it bothers you I will ask you to show me bird from Poland, Egypt, East Germany, Czechoslovakia, or Iraq. I have decals for all of those nations. I would be happy to change my build if another option becomes available ? All I want is a good looking camouflage scheme ? Preferably recon but not required. 

The Begemot decal sheet I have included a Camo Soviet recon version used in Afghanistan. I'm doing it if I get around to that build but as our models will never sit on the same shelf that could be an option?

I know you mentioned some other users than the USSR but in case you have some old red stars lying around. 

The build thread has a scan of the decals and of the Camo pattern 

Edited by bianfuxia
  • Like 2

No, no, no, you got me wrong!

What I was trying to say, you're discarding MF fish scheme (can I get it 😉), to make R.

Fair enough if you got enough info to add / discard bits on Eduard kit.

Then you telling us, that you want to do it in those colours:

And this is just another MF ? WTF?

As far as I know, all PAF Mig's R's were in (boring) silver paint, not NMF.

that was dumped long time ago due to concerns about health issues with aluminum dust.

All those "Arabic" planes, you show, would be much more interesting in "visual thing"

Happy glueing!

zig

21 minutes ago, zigster said:

No, no, no, you got me wrong!

What I was trying to say, you're discarding MF fish scheme (can I get it 😉), to make R.

Fair enough if you got enough info to add / discard bits on Eduard kit.

Then you telling us, that you want to do it in those colours:

And this is just another MF ? WTF?

As far as I know, all PAF Mig's R's were in (boring) silver paint, not NMF.

that was dumped long time ago due to concerns about health issues with aluminum dust.

All those "Arabic" planes, you show, would be much more interesting in "visual thing"

Happy glueing!

zig

Oh if I mis-understood you, I am seriously sorry. I don't need the decals other than Roundels ? So can give them to you, if you want them. Let me know if its just the Polish “Fish” scheme you want ? Direct message me if you wish to talk more about it. 
       I do want to do an “R” just not in the Silver scheme. I know its not accurate and I will/can live with that. Im still looking at Egyptian A.F. RF’s and may attempt to fabricate the built in camera housing on their planes. If I can do that I will switch to that scheme. Im also considering doing it as the photo, mounting the Rocket launchers and either the AA missiles, tanks, or F.A.B. 250’s on the pylons ? I have time to sort this as I wont start till late this week coming or next week. 

Good morning everyone … Finally able to get a start on this. Not much kind you but the interior turquoise. 8HrpUo9.jpg

Close up shots. 

f7Y11XY.jpg

JS1Ixev.jpg

New color mix, from Tamiya paints. My research says the main visual reference other than some internals are the wingtip SPO-3 sensors. That and two T shaped antennas under neath the wing tips. But Ive seen those on non “R’s” so might not be related. They're in the kit so all good on them. 4T4WIzq.jpg

SPO-3 sensor: Front of the aircraft is this direction. ⬅️ So that the little antenna face rearward, and the little fillet is between the pod and the leading edge of the wing. Seen on the right side drawing. mWTJCxo.jpg

Now The 1/48 MiG-21R kit has these as part of the wings, I need to add them. I think these little bombs once modified should do the job. 6PfiLFk.jpg

Still researching to see if I can find anything else that needs to be added. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dansk said:

love the cockpit Dennis. You colour mix looks spot on for it too. nice work 👍

Thank you sir in case anyone was curious the mix is Tamiya MiG-21 cockpit Blue/Green #2 = X14 x 9 + XF-71 x 4 + XF2 x 7. Well I have to admit these things build up pretty quick. Im going to have to get a few more as Ive got several schemes and decal options. So tonight gets us to this point. 
9UvNdJD.jpg

jjsieQZ.jpg

gP8mBPn.jpg

7Nh99Ej.jpg

c3Scy3t.jpg

8vBCwLF.jpg

XcPIYbk.jpg

Not sure it needed it but flattened some fishing weights and glued them in just to be safe. 

uDNanUh.jpg

I may need to lighten this interior yellow green even more. It looks to green right now. And yes my subject seems to have this color in the wells. lPSS2vR.jpg

The only gap I had is on the belly, right at the wing/fuselage join. It was so fine I used index card cut to shape and C/A. Waited about 10-15 minutes and wet-sanded it down. A little bit of surfacer will take care of the rest. For a quick size comparison, here is a Cavalier P-51 Mustang. 

JEAhAYj.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 9