PK-010 - BAC Strikemaster: Enzo's descent into madness Chapter 2

Strikemaster!

Has there ever been a more evocative aircraft name designed to part a young boy from his pocket money?  :lol: 

I built this kit as a callow youth when it was first released.  I chose the Saudi markings option.

My class at school had a kid who was very talented at art called John Botham (names have been changed slightly to protect the arrogant person). John was very talented indeed and would always let you know about it.  His models were excellent.  Sure, he made a big deal about it, but it was true!

We used to bring our completed models in to school and show them in art class.  We had a very progressive art department.  None of us could ever compete with John's efforts.  And he would always let us know it.

I built the Strikemaster and was very pleased with it.  Having displayed it in art class the teacher, Miss Derbyshire (name not changed as  respected her very highly), was very supportive with her comments.  John Botham reckoned that the painting was "not very good".  Everyone knows that it should be green and brown, not stupid sand and brown.

I knew I was correct.  From that point, I vowed that I would show Botham!  I started to learn artistic techniques.

Well, I'm here to thank Miss Derbyshire and John Botham.  Botham's disparaging comments drove me to improve my modelling skills.  Sure...  he had artistic talent.   I have no artistic talent whatsoever.   Everything I do is technique.  But that pursuit of technique has given me fifty years of pleasure!

Miss Derbyshire simply made me believe that I had no limits and that I should have confidence in myself.

• Like 16

So...  after that unapologetic nostalgic wallowing...   Let's look at the kit!

I originally built the Saudi version, but always wondered what if I had built the New Zealand version.  Butbutbut...   I really enjoyed building the Saudi version.    Oh well...  there is no alternative.  I mean, WWEMD?  :D

spacer.png

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Strikemaster!

Has there ever been a more evocative aircraft name designed to part a young boy from his pocket money?  :lol: 

I built this kit as a callow youth when it was first released.  I chose the Saudi markings option.

My class at school had a kid who was very talented at art called John Botham (names have been changed slightly to protect the arrogant person). John was very talented indeed and would always let you know about it.  His models were excellent.  Sure, he made a big deal about it, but it was true!

We used to bring our completed models in to school and show them in art class.  We had a very progressive art department.  None of us could ever compete with John's efforts.  And he would always let us know it.

I built the Strikemaster and was very pleased with it.  Having displayed it in art class the teacher, Miss Derbyshire (name not changed as  respected her very highly), was very supportive with her comments.  John Botham reckoned that the painting was "not very good".  Everyone knows that it should be green and brown, not stupid sand and brown.

I knew I was correct.  From that point, I vowed that I would show Botham!  I started to learn artistic techniques.

Well, I'm here to thank Miss Derbyshire and John Botham.  Botham's disparaging comments drove me to improve my modelling skills.  Sure...  he had artistic talent.   I have no artistic talent whatsoever.   Everything I do is technique.  But that pursuit of technique has given me fifty years of pleasure!

Miss Derbyshire simply made me believe that I had no limits and that I should have confidence in myself.

So reading between the lines your Art Teacher was crowned the 1973 Derbyshire County Beauty Queen and your antagonist was Ian Botham’s arrogant younger Brother “John”. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I had built the New Zealand version. 

Hi Enzo,

I built The RNZAF version back when I was a teen, still have it packed away

with my other models.

Be interested to see what you do with your build (what ever markings you choose :D)

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Let's look at the kits.

The original issue from 1972 featured the RNZAF version on the box art.  This shows the aircraft carrying SNEB pods but there are no pods in the kit.  :shrug:

This kit has been pre-loved.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The second kit is a 1982 reissue featuring the Saudi version on the box art.  The armamnet now reflects that included in the kit.  The plastic colours have also been changed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Although both kits have the same marking choices, the decal sheets were reprinted at some point.

spacer.png

The original 1972 issue is on the right.  It seems more refined than the later reprint.  However, if the decals do not behave themselves, I can alswys use replacements from Xtradecal.

• Like 15

Once again a cracking modelling back story from the never forgetful Enzo. I take you may have been pants at art, however you must have excelled at English with great stories like that. We've all got our 'John Botham's' in life and the 'John' I know is actually a current member on BM! I can honestly say, his kits are among the best I've seen anywhere and although at times he may come across as a little terse whilst commenting on my builds, its just the motivation you need to sometimes prove that little sh#t wrong! We look forward to seeing you build Matchbox's version of the Kiwi's Blunty and once again bettering your earlier Saudi result. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The ones I worked on (in a very hot place) were sand and brown with added oil leaks.

And that's the whole point.   Hot place Strikemasters were painted sand and brown (technically Light Stone and Dark Earth) despite what John Botham told everyone.

The "added oil leaks" comment is quite valid as well.  In my experience, British combat aircraft leak oil.  It's just a fact of life.  The worst was probably the first generation Harrier.  We used to say that a Harrier that is not leaking is a Harrier that is empty.  :lol:   

• Like 5

First job was to paint the cockpit bits...    There is also my usual over-application of ballast! :D

spacer.png

The kits go together quite quickly.  I have already masked the canopy on one.  The intake parts have been sprayed with white primer from a rattle can.

spacer.png

Both fuselages complete.   The intakes took a bit of work to fair in properly, but some very thick sprue goo helped.

spacer.png

I sprayed the cockpit areas matt black from a rattle can.  This serves to highlight any remaining gaps in the transparency joints and also makes the interior of the framing look as though it has been painted.  After that, the wings and tailplanes were added.   I used the very thick sprue goo as an adhesive which would fill any gaps.  Inevitably it will extrude from the joint so these areas were smoothed with a gentle application of MEK. 

spacer.png

• Like 12

Both models are now primed with my usual grey plastic car primer from a rattle can.

spacer.png

then we have the first colours sprayed on.  For the Saudi jet, it was Lifecolor UA-107.  I have used this before to represent Light Stone on WW2 tanks.   Let's see how it works for a 70s jet.

The Kiwi Strikemaster may be a bit more controversial.  The basic scheme is obviously the USAF SEA scheme.  However I believe that FS standard colors were only applied after a fleet upgrade in 1980.  Before that, ther were British Standard colours.  Accordingly, I have sprayed the NZ aircraft in Xtracrylix XA1002 Dark Earth.  Comments are encouraged. 

spacer.png

The Saudi jet has been masked with my usual technique of Blutak worms, masking tape squares and Copydex sealant.

spacer.png

And the sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1002 Dark Earth.

spacer.png

• Like 24

Work continues on the Kiwi jet.   Again I used my usual technique to mask the camouflage. 

spacer.png

Then I used British standard colours - mid Bronze Green and Dark Green - for the disruptive camouflage.

As you can see, it looks dreadful!  :puke:

spacer.png

It simply doesn't look right!  :fraidnot:  The contrast between the Dark Earth and Mid Bronze Green is all wrong.  :shrug:   So...   I kept the two greens and resprayed the brown with Lifecolor UA-015.   I'm a lot happier with the result, but it still needs the proportions adjusting.

spacer.png

• Like 14

I found when I did an Airfix one in the AUS/NZ GB last year that it paid to refer to photos for the camo schemes as there were variations between individual aircraft & it appeared a different pattern applied after repaints.

Steve.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 10:44 AM, Enzo Matrix said:

The Kiwi Strikemaster may be a bit more controversial.  The basic scheme is obviously the USAF SEA scheme.

Hi Enzo

Looking Good - Actually no controversy,

You're right in that the original camouflage colours were applied in the UK. I have seen them in person.

Later repaints were likely based on the US Fed Std, but there would have been RNZAF Mil Spec Numbers

and corresponding paint numbers (e.g Dulux). Looking at the A4 Colour Specs I have from the RNZAF Museum, this was

was the case, using Acrylic paints (Glossy and Non Specular)

I know you've painted your model but if you are doing NZ6361 (per kit decals), then some RNZAF Photos circa 1992

Note the Aircraft Serial and Number are white

NZ6361 is the lower Aircraft

Oh25-93.t5ed065a7.m600.x04aQXBUl.jpg

(RNZAF Official - Air Force Museum of New Zealand - Used with Permissions)

NZ6361 (Mid aircraft)

Oh34-93.t5f3f21e4.m600.xjbU9gYb8.jpg

(RNZAF Official - Air Force Museum of New Zealand - Used with Permissions)

Looking forward to seeing the final products

Regards

Alan

• Like 12

I wouldn't stress the lack of SNEB rocket pods for the Kiwi version, the RNZAF never had them, and the box top was a bit of artistic licence. RNZAF Strikemasters used LAU5002 6 shot launchers, along with USN Practice Multiple Bomb Racks (PMBRs).

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CharlieNZ said:

I wouldn't stress the lack of SNEB rocket pods for the Kiwi version, the RNZAF never had them, and the box top was a bit of artistic licence. RNZAF Strikemasters used LAU5002 6 shot launchers, along with USN Practice Multiple Bomb Racks (PMBRs).

Total star!      And just in time as I have been preparing to build the SNEBs for this build.

18 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Total star!      And just in time as I have been preparing to build the SNEBs for this build.

If anything, the inspiration for the painting of the RNZAF Strikemaster armed with SNEB may have come from a series of BAC publicity shots taken at the Farnborough air show of a future RNZAF Strikemaster (pre delivery, note UK Civil Reg) that the company had put on static display surrounded by a selection of various weapons in typical air show fashion. Those weapons weren't specifically RNZAF, but were the usual marketing type effort by the manufacturer. Here's a link to it:

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/337343/G-AZYN/NZ6365

Similar photo taken at the Paris Airshow as well, but different airframe:

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/picture.php?/Strike_Master_NZ6375_Paris_31st_May_1975/category/nz-strikemaster

Edited by CharlieNZ
Adding more detail
  • Like 2