PK-72 - A-34 Mk.I Comet - Enzo's descent into madness Chapter 1

As if I haven't got enough goiing on in this GB...   :lol:

When Matchbox started issuing armour kits, ther novelty was the diorama base included.  I sort of lost control back the and bult lots of them. Some things never change...  :D 

I have always liked the Comet tank  In my opinion it is a very handsome vehicle.

spacer.png

This wasn't from The Stash.  I bought it from evilbay for a very good price. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The evilbay listing warned that the tracks were a bit dodgy.

spacer.png

And that there were no decals.

• Like 7

S

21 minutes ago, John said:

You're welcome to half of my decal sheet if you want it.

Thanks John.  You've just demonstrated exactly why I love GBs.  GBs are a wonderful community where people help each other. :thumbsup:

However, I already sorted the problem.  The obvious place to find suitable decals would be the Revell re-issue.  Looks like I'm building two!  :lol: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The tracks are not in the least mangled in this reissue.

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, John said:

The Revell decals certainly look nice on the sheet. I'm a bit away from using them yet but I don't forsee any problems.

J

The choices are for two preserved vehicles.   The overall SCC15 version is an accurate reproduction of an operational tank at the end of the second world war.  The camouflaged sand/green markings represent a spurious scheme worn by the example in Le Musée des Blindés de Saumur in France.

I decided to use the SCC15 markings for the Matchbox kit.  I wasn't too keen on the spurious preserved marking though.

I looked at other alternatives.

The Comet is a Second World War tank that is still in operational service today!  This link shows an immaculate Comet operating with the army of Myanmar.  

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/gb/a34-cruiser-tank-comet-mark-i/

The Revell kit is moulded in a medium grey plastic which looks rather smart.   The Irish army painted their Comets in a similar scheme.  A preserved example is shown in the link above.  So that will be me second choice. 

• Like 2

Nice choice, I remember building one at uni in about 1974 after exams. I even drilled out the barrel. I also really like the Comet, probably my favourite tank. You can see both elements of the Cromwell and Centurion in it. I am only ever likely to build one, and I have the Vespid kit in stock.

• Like 1

I do say Enzo, this Matchbox bug is really getting to you so perhaps that 'madness' tag is quite apt. Glad to see both original and new Revell sprues within the one thread. I'd be interested to know what your thoughts are on the new boxed kit as that's the only one I'm ever likely to find and eventually acquire. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's about time that I updated this thread.

The lower hulls were assembled and then ballasted.  The ballast isn't really necessary,  I just like tank models to have a little bit of heft.   The ballast are self adhesive weights for balancing car wheels.

spacer.png

Upper hulls assembled.

spacer.png

It may just be the colour of the plastic, but the later Revell moulding (in grey) seems to be crisper than the early Matchbox moulding.

Running gear fitted.  I've left the drive sprockets off as I have my doubts that the tracks will stretch enough to slip over them - especially with the Matchbox one.

spacer.png

The Matchbox tracks were very tatty and twisted.  Hardly surprising due to their age.  The Revell tracks were nice and neat.

spacer.png

And here are the tracks fitted.  There is a nice tongue and slot arrangement for the tracks, but it was very weak on the Matchbox tracks and one of them snapped.  I therefore gluwed the tracks in place with CA, as you can see.  The gap will be hiddent under the mudguards.

The teeth on the drive sprockets didn't fit into the tracks on either model, so I snipped them off where necessary.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Both hulls ready for painting.

spacer.png

• Like 9

Moving on to the turrets.  Wartime Comets had a canvas cover over the mantlet, which I represented with putty and plastic card.

spacer.png

Both primed ready for painting.

spacer.png

Painting does not present any difficulties! :lol:

Xtracrylix XA1003 Medium Sea Grey for the Irish tank with Lifecolor UA-270 SCC 15 for the British one.

spacer.png

And we're up to date.

• Like 14

Hi Enzo,

I have said this a few times before, but I use a mini (bambi) stapler to join the tracks - got it in a better quality Christmas cracker many years ago! A couple side by side strengthen/repair them nicely and are particularly useful if you need to shorten the tracks or if they are damaged. The staples are small enough to be almost invisible when painted over and on most tanks you can hide them under the hull overhang/skirts.

Pete

• Like 4

They look great. I fancy having a go at one of these as I have some AK Real Colour SCC.15 that I'm keen to try out. I'm also a bit tired of building the bad guys.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Next step was to paint the tyres and tracks - a surprisingly time consuming task.

Then, I added the decals to the British model.  The Irish one does not seem to carry any markings.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

Nice job Enzo, I've completely missed these two builds over the last few weeks so it's great to revisit them again and see such good progress. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'm calling these two finished.

The Irish Comet is deliberately minimalist.  It respresents the vehicle that was a gate guardian at the Curragh Museum which became very grimy and weatherbeaten.  These days is has been restored and looks magnificent,

spacer.png

spacer.png

The other kit represents a vehicle of 2nd Fire and Forfar Yeomanry, HQ Coy, 11 Armoured Division in April 1945.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It would be a shame not to portray it in action on the kit-supplied diorama base.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6