Tamiya 1/6 CB1100R

Hey all, so I've finished the CB except for the black border around the screen which I noticed after taking a bunch of photos! Anyway I took a stack of photos with my iPhone which came out pretty good. I will take the bodywork off later and take some more photos under the skin and post those up soon.

IMG_0578

IMG_0577

IMG_0576

IMG_0575

IMG_0574

IMG_0573

IMG_0572

IMG_0571

IMG_0570

IMG_0569

IMG_0568

IMG_0567

IMG_0566

IMG_0565

IMG_0564

IMG_0563

IMG_0562

IMG_0561

IMG_0560

IMG_0559

IMG_0558

IMG_0557

• Like 17

Just for fun I'm trying some forced persepctive shots to make it look like a real bike - this is taken in my carport. I have to make up a concrete looking stand for it so it blends in but otherwise looks pretty good and real I reckon.

CB1100R Big

• Like 17

1/6?? That must be huge!

Thats a great build, beautiful! Like Bertie says I can't see anything that says its a model, and I'm a biker.

If I was being really picky I'd note that the rear wheel adjustment locknuts should be wound down on top of the adjustment nuts... but then you see that on real bikes too.

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It looks completely real. I’ve never seen anything more convincing. The fact that some bikes are kept absolutely clean helps of course but I can’t find anything in your photos that suggest it is a model. Outstanding!

How long is it?

Thanks for the kind words. I know where the flaws are but I’m not telling! The bike is about a foot long so about 26 cm.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ryedale Wolf said:

1/6?? That must be huge!

Thats a great build, beautiful! Like Bertie says I can't see anything that says its a model, and I'm a biker.

If I was being really picky I'd note that the rear wheel adjustment locknuts should be wound down on top of the adjustment nuts... but then you see that on real bikes too.

spacer.png

Thanks for the biker praise! I too am a biker currently with a cbr1100xx blackbird and a cx500 turbo.

I did the chain adjuster from memory in that I recall on these older bikes there was a bolt that you turned to adjust the chain and a locknut. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ryedale Wolf said:

1/6?? That must be huge!

spacer.png

Here you go - from my reference pics.

WareShannonsHondaCB1100RB20

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ryedale Wolf said:

1/6?? That must be huge!

spacer.png

Thanks for the biker praise! I too am a biker currently with a cbr1100xx blackbird and a cx500 turbo.

I did the chain adjuster from memory in that I recall on these older bikes there was a bolt that you turned to adjust the chain and a locknut. 

Here are some shots without clothes :) Note I built this bike to be a used example that is not pristine. It has been resprayed but mechanically is all original.

51859327596_812e46b425_b.jpg

51859989000_4343c5c686_b.jpg

51859413368_b2b07bcea2_b.jpg

51859990085_d56193e2b3_b.jpg

51859414508_32d5aab139_b.jpg

51858376477_7ae873d7c6_b.jpg

51859331001_6a1805f700_b.jpg

These fork air caps were scratch built out of aluminium. I didn't like the kit ones.

51859667394_a2a811c347_b.jpg

51859993385_bb66753c75_b.jpg

51859668709_038008840e_b.jpg

• Like 3

It’s even better naked (many things are). A typical ‘clean on the outside’ bike. 

I noticed the apparent seam lines on the front fork spring units and remembered how the real things were always left with a casting clean up mark. 

I was a biker too. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Thirsty said:

and a cx500 turbo

Oh - could you post pictures of one of these too? My first bike almost had become a CX500 Custom, but I was a bit too slow. Never dared to get on one of the Turbos, though. How is it to drive?

And, of course, the build is just great, one could only tell by minor details that it's a model, I had to look three or four times. But the Mileage did give it away - it doesn't match the (absolutely realistic) wear of the brake disc. 😉 

12 hours ago, Thirsty said:

Here you go - from my reference pics.

WareShannonsHondaCB1100RB20

Yeah but thats a bolt and a nut, its the reverse of your model. The bolt is the adjuster and the nut is the lock nut. What looks like a nut on the end is in fact the bolt head.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Oh - could you post pictures of one of these too? My first bike almost had become a CX500 Custom, but I was a bit too slow. Never dared to get on one of the Turbos, though. How is it to drive?

And, of course, the build is just great, one could only tell by minor details that it's a model, I had to look three or four times. But the Mileage did give it away - it doesn't match the (absolutely realistic) wear of the brake disc. 😉 

I haven't built the CX500 yet, I'm "practicing" on these other Tamiya kits as the CX500 is the most important one to me to get right. Here's a photo of my bike.

IMG_0563

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Ryedale Wolf said:

Yeah but thats a bolt and a nut, its the reverse of your model. The bolt is the adjuster and the nut is the lock nut. What looks like a nut on the end is in fact the bolt head.

So what I was going for was a bolt with a locknut. I didn't have any bolts so I used a nut as the bolt head so what you're seeing is my attempt at making a bolt and a locknut out of 2 nuts if that makes sense?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ryedale Wolf said:

My current mount - Triumph Bonneville Custom. Mate of mine's got a Blackbird. Tamiya do a nice one in 1/12.

spacer.png

Here's my current mount with a Tamiya 1/12 model :)

51823369656_93f1706f71_b.jpg

'97 model with carbs and the best colour!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Thirsty said:

So what I was going for was a bolt with a locknut. I didn't have any bolts so I used a nut as the bolt head so what you're seeing is my attempt at making a bolt and a locknut out of 2 nuts if that makes sense?

Aha! Fair enough then. I shall stand corrected. Still a beautiful job.

• Thanks 1

Love that Cx500 turbo!

I never owned one, but a colleague at Rolls-Royce in Bristol let me take his (non-turbo) CX-500 for a ride around the car-park. No helmets, just pootling about.

I'd heard that these beasties had a high C of G, which made them a bit of a handful when riding slowly, but I didn't find that.

Cheers,

Alan.

9 hours ago, Alan R said:

Love that Cx500 turbo!

I never owned one, but a colleague at Rolls-Royce in Bristol let me take his (non-turbo) CX-500 for a ride around the car-park. No helmets, just pootling about.

I'd heard that these beasties had a high C of G, which made them a bit of a handful when riding slowly, but I didn't find that.

Cheers,

Alan.

Yeah the CX was a bit top heavy. The turbo is more so. Off boost it feels and goes like an overweight 250! On boost it feels a lot better. It's really in it's element touring on the open road sitting on 100-110 kph where it's just on boost. It's a really nice touring bike but a sports bike it aint :)

Here's a photo of my CX500 I sold a few years ago.

imag0140

• Like 2