Special Hobby 2022 Announcements

jan_cz

SH news Part. 6

https://www.specialhobby.net/2022/02/norimberk-online-den-6.html

"Googled"

And it is here. Last day. Cool at the stand, already in jeans and a shirt, without a suit. Just watch the sky, because on the last day almost always comes snowfall or at least heavy rain. After all, we are also going home. 

This time just from the office. In peace and quiet, but without meeting people we know and love. Maybe it will work out next year. 

We kept bigger models for the last day. The highlight of 2022 will definitely be the SH48202 AH-1G Cobra 1/48. We are also preparing the L-4 Grasshopper on the same scale. So far, the frame of clear parts is ready. We are working intensively on other forms, but about that next time. The last new product we want to be proud of is the Fiat G.50B Bicomando 1/32. 

- ref. SH48202 - Bell AH-1G Cobra thread is here: link

- ref. SH48+++ - Cessna L-4 Grasshopper thread is here: link

-  ref. SH32083 - Fiat G.50B Bicomando thread is here: link

V.P.

• Like 1

I hope the Cobra lineup gets extended to later models as well. Waiting for a decent AH-1W Super Cobra and the AH-1Z Viper in 1/48. For the latter one I'd be fine if they'd pick up the Kitty Hawk forms. Never got one but I've heard it was a nice kit (as nice as KH went). But for the time being, the Vietnam era equipment is very promising.

• Like 1

Hmmm... Heinkel He-177 A-3. Should be big and fruity. I wonder how many of these proposed releases will be available by Christmas considering the moribund state of many sectors of the trade caused by... er... you-know-what?

18 hours ago, RupertTheBear said:

I hope the Cobra lineup gets extended to later models as well. Waiting for a decent AH-1W Super Cobra and the AH-1Z Viper in 1/48. For the latter one I'd be fine if they'd pick up the Kitty Hawk forms. Never got one but I've heard it was a nice kit (as nice as KH went). But for the time being, the Vietnam era equipment is very promising.

I've heard rumblings that you should watch Eduard for the 1/48 AH-1Z. I'm not sure who's plastic they'd be using though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, upnorth said:

I've heard rumblings that you should watch Eduard for the 1/48 AH-1Z. I'm not sure who's plastic they'd be using though.

KH would be a good line for Eduard to pick up the potential for add-ons is almost limitless. 🤣 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, SleeperService said:

KH would be a good line for Eduard to pick up the potential for add-ons is almost limitless. 🤣 

My suspicion, if the rumours I've heard are true, is that Eduard will be putting out 1/48 AH-1Z and 1/48 UH-1Y kits at the same time. Certainly they would wait until the official Czech air force paint schemes and markings are confirmed before they make such a release.

The KH kits of both would make the most sense as it would give Eduard the chance to load both kits up with the existing PE and extras they've already made for the kits and do "Royal Class" and "Profipack" boxings of both.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, upnorth said:

My suspicion, if the rumours I've heard are true, is that Eduard will be putting out 1/48 AH-1Z and 1/48 UH-1Y kits at the same time. Certainly they would wait until the official Czech air force paint schemes and markings are confirmed before they make such a release.

The KH kits of both would make the most sense as it would give Eduard the chance to load both kits up with the existing PE and extras they've already made for the kits and do "Royal Class" and "Profipack" boxings of both.

Would make sense to go for the now disused KH forms as they've done both. But I'm fine with whatever they use as long as it's in 1/48th and not Italeri's age old Viper reboxed :D
Thanks for the info!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mike Esposito said:

Breda Ba-65 A80

Hopefully the re issue is the single seater. 

SH48053, reviews are here:

• Like 1

I'm rather pleased to see the 1/48 AH-1G Cobra kit including a Spanish Navy scheme, as a change from "drab" machines.

I really hope that the the 1/48 SF 260 Marchetti will arrive this year.

Still - as far as I know - no one announced a new tool (1/48 or 1/32) Lysander nor  a Battle, though. "Sigh".

• Like 2

On 10/02/2022 at 17:18, Maginot said:

Hmmm... Heinkel He-177 A-3. Should be big and fruity.

I haven't built anything other than 1/32 aircraft for decades but this will cause me to have a slight alteration. I suspect it might be the start of a 1/48 bomber shelf - oh dear, my poor wallet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/12/2022 at 5:19 PM, PattheCat said:

Still - as far as I know - no one announced a new tool (1/48 or 1/32) Lysander nor  a Battle, though. "Sigh".

The Battle is an odd omission but, I fear, unlikely from Eastern Europe as it saw little (any?) service with their pilots, which they were likely grateful about. Many new releases are aircraft that were released AFTER the 1/72 Battle and little known so maybe.

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

The Battle is an odd omission but, I fear, unlikely from Eastern Europe as it saw little (any?) service with their pilots, which they were likely grateful about. Many new releases are aircraft that were released AFTER the 1/72 Battle and little known so maybe.

Quite right. Outside Commonwealth and Belgium, I think the Polish pilots from 301 sqn where the only ones to fly the Battle, and this just from july to september 1940,

But the fact that Airfix doesn't step in is really disappointing.

About a reboxing of the 1/48 Cobra, I saw in this section of the forum that ICM has already announced a bundle comprising the AH1-G from SH, their OV-10A and pilots + ground personnel (ref. 48303).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PattheCat said:

I think the Polish pilots from 301 sqn where the only ones to fly the Battle, and this just from july to september 1940,

All four Polish bomber squadrons had Battles - 300 and 301 used them in combat until October 1940, 304 and 305 for training only, until November 1940. Later several Battles were assigned to fighter squadrons as hacks.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Quite right. Outside Commonwealth and Belgium, I think the Polish pilots from 301 sqn where the only ones to fly the Battle, and this just from july to september 1940,

But the fact that Airfix doesn't step in is really disappointing.

Hellenic air forces used them in combat too, some were sold to Turkey.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

All four Polish bomber squadrons had Battles - 300 and 301 used them in combat until October 1940, 304 and 305 for training only, until November 1940. Later several Battles were assigned to fighter squadrons as hacks.

1 hour ago, Botan said:

Hellenic air forces used them in combat too, some were sold to Turkey.

My thanks to Piotr and Botan for their insight. Very interesting, I had never heard about the use of Battles by the RHAF and TAAF.

• Like 3

Being traditionally bluntly honest (that's what we're known for after all): why all the fuzz about wanting a failed light bomber, with limited use and appeal, from a certain manufacturer?

It's very much a niche aircraft, for which only an enthusiast will choose - I happen to be one fortunately, so I'm glad to see one but honestly I expect any 1/48 one to come from the likes of SH/Frrom/ClearProp rather than a big name.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Being traditionally bluntly honest (that's what we're known for after all): why all the fuzz about wanting a failed light bomber, with limited use and appeal, from a certain manufacturer?

It's very much a niche aircraft, for which only an enthusiast will choose - I happen to be one fortunately, so I'm glad to see one but honestly I expect any 1/48 one to come from the likes of SH/Frrom/ClearProp rather than a big name.

Hello @alt-92,

I only thought of this particular "big name" manufacturer because he's British and it's a British plane. You're for sure right about Eastern producers being more prone to pay attention to such subjects. Speaking of being honest, I also must admit that I prefer "rather mainstream" kits, meaning no large amount of resin parts (nothing against resin, I'm just being extremely clumsy with cyano).  SH and the like bringing forth full styrene qualitative kits these days helps solving my little problem.

Regards.

Pat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Not as niche as all that. Well over 2000 built, equipping a peak of 17 RAF squadrons of which 10 were committed to France at the outbreak of WW2. Intensive combat use in May 1940, though with heavy losses (which is equally true of the Blenheim squadrons that participated in the Battle of France, not to mention in later actions, or the Wellington squadrons involved in the Battle of Heligoland Bight on 18 December 1939). The first two RAF VCs of the war.  Widespread use in the Empire Training Scheme. Compare that with, for example, the EE/BAC Lightning with a production run of 340, no combat use at all and the same number of export customers as the Battle, as well as being every bit as obsolete towards the end of its operational service. Yet few of us would accept that the Lightning is a niche aircraft, I think?

• Like 5

You know that, I know that, but Joe Public doesn't and it isn't recognisable in the same way a Mustang, Messerschmitt or Spitfire is. 
Yes, the EE Lightning despite it appeal and distinctiveness is also a niche plane. Extremely fast, but very short range and limited weapons systems even for it's days. Sorry :P

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

very short range and limited weapons systems even for it's days.

What she lacked in range and capabilities, she more than compensated with pure charisma. ;)

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

But incredible time to height, which was the prime requirement.  Also, falling out from lots of power and a big wing, fine close-in combat capabilities.  More close-in missiles (Sidewinders) could have been added if called for,

Given its contemporaries, anything that could come near to its time to height was no better in duration or load, and had smaller wings so less effective in close quarters.

• Like 1

The Lightning may not be a niche subject but it's not an immensely popular one either, witness the number of kits issued over the years, that has been decent but not particularly impressive.

Of course with this being Britmodeller, the type receives a lot more attention because of its nationality but it's never been the kind of subject that every company worldwide felt they needed to have in their catalogue.

The Battle may have been built in large numbers and used by many units but it's never really been a subject catching the imagination of the masses, even in the smaller subset of modellers and aviation enthusiasts. Regarding the numbers, other earlier types were built in even larger numbers and are even lesser known... if production numbers were a factor to consider in choosing a kit, then there should have been a lot of kits of the Bregue 19 and yet there aren't

• Like 1

Going back to SH, I'm quite surprised there was no announcement of a downscaled 1/48 Whirlwind, like they did with Eduard for the 1/32 Tempest. That's one I would place on top of my wishlist. Again, it's not a widely known subject but as they already did it in 1/72 and 1/32 scale.....

• Like 1