Recommendations for first tank model kit?

Paul H

One of my 9 year old daughters (I have twins) has just completed an Airfix 1:400 Mary Rose, having previously built an Airfix 1:72 P51 Mustang, both from starter sets.  There were predominantly her work, with guidance and assistance where needed from me (mainly for decals, especially on the Mary Rose).  Now she wants to build a tank, having seen some of the 1:35 Tamiya ones that I have.

She is very keen, but still learning, and I don't want to get her something that will require a lot of rectification from me, e.g. to clean up flash / get parts to fit, as I want her to feel that it is her project, not mine.  Those two Airfix kits that she has built already were great, and went together very nicely, so something of a similar ilk would be ideal, and I am keen to encourage this, as it gets her away from the TV and computer screen...

I am aware of the new Airfix 1:72 Tiger & Firefly kits which seem to have good reviews (the double kit set is tempting, as then that's one for each daughter), however are there any other 1:72 tanks in  similar price range that I should consider, and which would be suitable for a child of her age?

Many thanks!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul H said:

however are there any other 1:72 tanks in  similar price range that I should consider, and which would be suitable for a child of her age?

Armourfast do a range of easy assembly kits for wargamers, 2 of the same in a box, and they can be bought (or could)  separately on ebay. 

They tend to feature one piece tracks.    The doubke boxing may help as then they could get the same one each. 

https://armourfast.com 

The old Matchbox range, many now reboxed by Revell, are decent too, more fiddly for sure, separate wheel and tracks,   but they also come with the little diorama bases, which maybe a selling point,  Loads on amazon for about £8 posted as well.

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Depends on what she likes but a few things to consider...

Meng World War Toon Tanks? I build up a couple of these with my kids a year or so back - fun, fairly quick builds, tracks maybe a bit tight, but easy enough to get on once the glue has fully dried (we did a Sherman with Santa figure, Panther and KV2).

More realistic stuff then as @Troy Smith said the old Matchbox 1/76th stuff (reboxed by Revell) with diorama bases are quite quick fun builds but as he mentioned there's a few tiny fiddly bits - I'm almost finished with this Humber Mk II in the Matchbox Group Build and did this Panzer II a while back (plus once before as a kid and a M16 half track back then). Have a look in the current GB, there's a fair few of the old armour kits being put together... https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/752-matchbox-50th-anniversary-group-build/

Or how about getting her a 1/35 Tamiya kit like dad? I've built the M41 Walker Bulldog again recently here and back in the day I think it was my first 1/35 tank - pretty cheap kit, rubber band tracks a PITA and a bit tight but can be extended v slightly and fastened with some staples. Or are you worried once she gets a taste for Tamiya 1/35 plastic your stash might be getting eyed up! :D

• Thanks 1

If it's going to be 1/35th scale, then I would recommend one of the Tamiya Shermans. Either the M4 or the M4A3. They are nice and simple, and despite their age, virtually no flash to clean up.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can recommend the Meng Toon kits. Very good production with minimal clean up required, but lots of small parts to develop skills and real decals included.

Probably of most interest is that their exaggerated dimensions give plenty of space to work on painting and weathering techniques too, which you won't get on a lot of 1/72 tanks.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Armourfast do a range of easy assembly kits for wargamers, 2 of the same in a box, and they can be bought (or could)  separately on ebay. 

They tend to feature one piece tracks.    The doubke boxing may help as then they could get the same one each. 

https://armourfast.com 

The old Matchbox range, many now reboxed by Revell, are decent too, more fiddly for sure, separate wheel and tracks,   but they also come with the little diorama bases, which maybe a selling point,  Loads on amazon for about £8 posted as well.

HTH

Wasn't familiar with Armourfast - a possibility, however that few parts probably wouldn't keep her busy for long!

The Matchbox ones sound interesting - I vaguely recall attempting some of their planes and cars when I was little.  Will definitely be doing some more research on their armour, as they are all still easily available.  She has managed her first two kits without too much bother, so a decent parts count isn't a problem.

12 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

For simple basic subjects the Plastic Soldier Company range shouldn't be omitted.  There are also some Italeri easy-fit kits, as well as their standard range.

Wasn't familiar with PSC either - look good, but quite a bit more than her pocket money will allow at the moment!

11 hours ago, Scargsy said:

Depends on what she likes but a few things to consider...

Meng World War Toon Tanks? I build up a couple of these with my kids a year or so back - fun, fairly quick builds, tracks maybe a bit tight, but easy enough to get on once the glue has fully dried (we did a Sherman with Santa figure, Panther and KV2).

More realistic stuff then as @Troy Smith said the old Matchbox 1/76th stuff (reboxed by Revell) with diorama bases are quite quick fun builds but as he mentioned there's a few tiny fiddly bits - I'm almost finished with this Humber Mk II in the Matchbox Group Build and did this Panzer II a while back (plus once before as a kid and a M16 half track back then). Have a look in the current GB, there's a fair few of the old armour kits being put together... https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/752-matchbox-50th-anniversary-group-build/

48 minutes ago, Tim R-T-C said:

I can recommend the Meng Toon kits. Very good production with minimal clean up required, but lots of small parts to develop skills and real decals included.

Probably of most interest is that their exaggerated dimensions give plenty of space to work on painting and weathering techniques too, which you won't get on a lot of 1/72 tanks.

Good call on the Meng cartoon ones, thank you both as I'd forgotten about them.  Hadn't realised quite how detailed they are either!  Will show these and see if they appeal.  The engineering and level of detail are certainly impressive.

11 hours ago, Scargsy said:

Or how about getting her a 1/35 Tamiya kit like dad? I've built the M41 Walker Bulldog again recently here and back in the day I think it was my first 1/35 tank - pretty cheap kit, rubber band tracks a PITA and a bit tight but can be extended v slightly and fastened with some staples. Or are you worried once she gets a taste for Tamiya 1/35 plastic your stash might be getting eyed up! :D

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

If it's going to be 1/35th scale, then I would recommend one of the Tamiya Shermans. Either the M4 or the M4A3. They are nice and simple, and despite their age, virtually no flash to clean up.

John.

Trying to avoid 1:35 for the time being - mainly due to size, as she will be brush painting it.  I will aim to teach them spray painting in the summer, and after a few more kits under her belt, one of the older Tamiya 1:35s could be a distinct possibility.  However, she does indeed have her eye on my Ardennes King Tiger...  It may be that we settle on a smaller scale one in the meantime!

Thank you all - a lot of food for thought, which is very appreciated.    Is all the Revell 1:76 stuff ex-Matchbox?  Also, are any of the Airfix 'Vintage Classics' range of tanks any good, or are they best avoided in this situation?  I'm not bothered about the most modern, crisp 100% accurate tooling, just that they look the part, are well engineered and go together easily.   She is getting quite good with the side cutters & file, and also thinning paint (Humbrol acrylics, as they are waterbased) to apply several thin coats & has also been using decal solution too.  However she isn't ready to be using a craft knife unsupervised, and doesn't yet have the patience for lots of test fitting and tweaking of parts.  Now to get the other one as enthusiastic...

• Like 1

Revell's own range is 1/72, only the ex-Matchbox are 1/76.  The scale is clearly labelled.  Just to confuse, After Revell took over Matchbox they released a few 1/72 kits under the matchbox label, and I don't know whether these particular kits have ever appeared since.

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2022 at 10:39 AM, Paul H said:

Also, are any of the Airfix 'Vintage Classics' range of tanks any good, or are they best avoided in this situation?  I'm not bothered about the most modern, crisp 100% accurate tooling, just that they look the part, are well engineered and go together easily.   

They're variable: some are ancient, some are relatively (!) quite recent (1970s), others are ancient but with a few more recent parts added to ring the changes.  Of the ones that are still quite reasonable, I'd mention the Panzer IV, the Bofors gun and tractor and the Matilda.  Maybe also the 5.5" gun and Matador and the 88mm gun and tractor.  Some of the other ancient fossils might give a misleadingly depressing impression of the levels of detail to expect in 1/72 or 1/76.

• Thanks 1

When you and she are ready for the step up to 1/35, seriously consider this from Tamiya: Pz.II

Bin the figures and what you have left is a lovely, simple, well engineered build with no flash that is small enough to brush paint and cheaper than a lot of modern 1/72 kits. It was my first 1/35 tank when I was only a bit older than your daughters and still one of my favourites. 

As a 1970's mould it has accuracy and detail issues compared to modern kits, but as a starter that you can be proud of when it's done it takes some beating.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 02/02/2022 at 10:39, Paul H said:

Wasn't familiar with PSC either - look good, but quite a bit more than her pocket money will allow at the moment!

If you bear in mind you get 2 or more examples in the kit they're not bad value, although the initial outlay is higher, and you have the option to share the cost if both of your daughters like something in the range as @Troy Smith noted.

• Thanks 1

In the end, I've started with the Airfix Tiger & Firefly, courtesy of a certain huge online retailer who delivers very quickly - it arrived earlier today, and the hull of the Tiger is already assembled and painted in the main colour, with my involvement being purely supervisory.  I've donated a spare set of side cutters to the cause but suspect I will need to get her a bottle of her own Tamiya extra thin cement soon too.  She's decided to go for the more complex track options, but there's still the basic ones if that goes wrong.

However, all the other suggestions are still very appreciated, and she is very keen to build more models after these two.

On 03/02/2022 at 14:24, Seahawk said:

They're variable: some are ancient, some are relatively (!) quite recent (1970s), others are ancient but with a few more recent parts added to ring the changes.  Of the ones that are still quite reasonable, I'd mention the Panzer IV, the Bofors gun and tractor and the Matilda.  Maybe also the 5.5" gun and Matador and the 88mm gun and tractor.  Some of the other ancient fossils might give a misleadingly depressing impression of the levels of detail to expect in 1/72 or 1/76.

I'll see what interests her, and do my research carefully.

On 04/02/2022 at 16:35, Foxbat said:

When you and she are ready for the step up to 1/35, seriously consider this from Tamiya: Pz.II

Bin the figures and what you have left is a lovely, simple, well engineered build with no flash that is small enough to brush paint and cheaper than a lot of modern 1/72 kits. It was my first 1/35 tank when I was only a bit older than your daughters and still one of my favourites. 

As a 1970's mould it has accuracy and detail issues compared to modern kits, but as a starter that you can be proud of when it's done it takes some beating.

Andy

I've been researching this off the back of your recommendation, and I can see what you mean!  Definitely one for the future!

On 05/02/2022 at 11:25, sandsmodels said:

armourfast or psc would be best for a 1st model, with 2 or 3 in a box they can improve with the second or 3rd model.

easy to get and quite cheap.

On 05/02/2022 at 12:01, Knevi said:

If you bear in mind you get 2 or more examples in the kit they're not bad value, although the initial outlay is higher, and you have the option to share the cost if both of your daughters like something in the range as @Troy Smith noted.

Only just spotted that the PSC are multiples too.  However, her attention span is such that a repeat of the same isn't likely to be of interest.  As pure display / wargaming, those would be ideal, however the actual build looks a bit too quick and so wouldn't keep her busy for long enough.  It's a fine balance, but model building is also a distraction from TV / screen time.  The other isn't interested in armour & still has a few other kits to build first.

Thank you again everyone - if either of my girls don't go for any of the Meng toon kits (I haven't shown any to them yet but will soon), I may well give into temptation!

Edited by Paul H
  • Like 3