DACO Skyline 737-300 1/144

phil1

Hi, I wonder if anyone has the above in their stash or knows where I can find one? 

I've put together the Eastern Express version previously and it's pretty awful so I wanted something with a bit more quality. As far as I know this is the only decent 737-300 kit out there (I don't fancy a conversion either)

I'm willing to pay a fair amount, cheers

Phil

• Like 1

Hi Phil 

I have 2 -300 kits from DACO in my stash I have already started them.

The kit is well done but a bit tricky around the wing-fuselage fit.

I checked the DACO site,only to find out the 737-300 kit is out of production...😳

The early EE 737 kits are crap.

But there are new EE toolings available now which look pretty decent.

Maybe you want to check these out ?

They are available through ebay and are not as pricey as other EE kits.

They are easily recognizable,the box top states "New tooling"

Maybe that helps ?

Alex

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Hi Phil 

I have 2 -300 kits from DACO in my stash I have already started them.

The kit is well done but a bit tricky around the wing-fuselage fit.

I checked the DACO site,only to find out the 737-300 kit is out of production...😳

The early EE 737 kits are crap.

But there are new EE toolings available now which look pretty decent.

Maybe you want to check these out ?

They are available through ebay and are not as pricey as other EE kits.

They are easily recognizable,the box top states "New tooling"

Maybe that helps ?

Alex

Hi Alex

thanks for your reply. indeed you are right. They actually look like a rip off of the DACO kits however some speculate that they are not with some minor differences but the major parts seem to be very similar. Either way like you've stated this has to be an upgrade on the original mess. 

They even include winglets which is great as I'm going for a Jet2 300 with winglet retrofit - I won't necessarily be going for the EE Jet2 kit, because the decals look awful....just the cheapest new tooling i can find will do

spacer.pngspacer.png

I have actually bought a DACO 737-400, will be interesting to compare

cheers

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Phil

Just to make you aware, the DACO winglets are too tall - see here.

When I built my Air Baltic 737-300 I compromised and used a spare pair from a Zveda 738. These are still a little tall but they are about 2mm shorter than the DACO ones and closer to the real thing. They also saved me having to reshape the DACO parts and get them identical!

If you are planning the silver/red Jet2 livery I have a set of Drawdecal decals I'm never likely to use. They don't have the white lettering for the winglets but might be some help to you. Pm me if you're interested.

Dave G

On 2/2/2022 at 8:36 PM, Skodadriver said:

Hi Phil

Just to make you aware, the DACO winglets are too tall - see here.

When I built my Air Baltic 737-300 I compromised and used a spare pair from a Zveda 738. These are still a little tall but they are about 2mm shorter than the DACO ones and closer to the real thing. They also saved me having to reshape the DACO parts and get them identical!

If you are planning the silver/red Jet2 livery I have a set of Drawdecal decals I'm never likely to use. They don't have the white lettering for the winglets but might be some help to you. Pm me if you're interested.

Dave G

Hi Dave

funny you say that because after posting them shots I thought the winglets looked huge compared to the wing, obviously I know the 300 has a smaller wing compared to the NGs. I too have some spare winglets from a 900 conversion. Did you have any problems fixing them to the DACO wings? 

I'm definitely doing the silver/red as I hate that Jet2holidays allegiant concoction.

I've got a Jet2 zvezda 757-200 on the go as well as a 737-800, thought the 300 would compliment them well. 

That would be most appreciated mate, there's no hurry though as I won't be on to decals until the summer as I'm building about 20 airliners at the same time!

phil

• Like 1

Hi Phil

It was some time ago that I did the actual fitting but I don't remember it being difficult. Inevitably there was a bit of filling and sanding. I found it easier to attach parts 54 and 55 to the Zvezda winglets before attaching them to the Daco wings. I used fuse wire to pin the joints - I don't think a simple butt joint would have lasted for long!

Drop me a pm about the decals when you're ready.

Dave G

11 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

And I thought that my dozen was too many to have on the go at one time! Kudos on the juggling. 

it's getting ridiculous, last count was....

a321neo

a320neo 

2 x a319

a318

737-800

737 MAX 8

737-700

737-900

777-300

787-8

4 x 757-200

1 x 757-300

and just for vintage purposes

747-100

dc-8

tu-134

IL-62

and on the way 

737-300

and a 737-400

all will be completed by 2075!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, phil1 said:

The story so far.....

1. Revell 747-400 from a 747-8i

2. Standard Zvezda 777-300ER

3. Standard Amodel An-74T

4. Standard Zvezda IL-86

5. Standard Revell A380-800 

6. Standard Zvezda 747-8i

7. Standard Zvezda 747-8i

8. 747-Xstretch conversion

9. Revell 747-8i GE90-115B conversion

10. Revell 747-8i tanker conversion 

11. Revll 747-600X conversion

12. Revell A380Plus conversion

13. Revell 747-400Y conversion 

...and on standby...

1. Standard Revell A350-900

2. Standard Zvezda 767-300

3. Standard ICM Tu-144D

4. Revell A380-900 conversion

Mine will all still be W.I.P. when you're finished by then. 

23 hours ago, phil1 said:

it's getting ridiculous, last count was....

a321neo

a320neo 

2 x a319

a318

737-800

737 MAX 8

737-700

737-900

777-300

787-8

4 x 757-200

1 x 757-300

and just for vintage purposes

747-100

dc-8

tu-134

IL-62

and on the way 

737-300

and a 737-400

😳...and I thought I have a busy production line...👍 Its calming to know that I am not the only airliner/modeling addict😉

• Haha 2

On 2/4/2022 at 9:03 PM, Abandoned Project said:

The story so far.....

1. Revell 747-400 from a 747-8i

2. Standard Zvezda 777-300ER

3. Standard Amodel An-74T

4. Standard Zvezda IL-86

5. Standard Revell A380-800 

6. Standard Zvezda 747-8i

7. Standard Zvezda 747-8i

8. 747-Xstretch conversion

9. Revell 747-8i GE90-115B conversion

10. Revell 747-8i tanker conversion 

11. Revll 747-600X conversion

12. Revell A380Plus conversion

13. Revell 747-400Y conversion 

...and on standby...

1. Standard Revell A350-900

2. Standard Zvezda 767-300

3. Standard ICM Tu-144D

4. Revell A380-900 conversion

Mine will all still be W.I.P. when you're finished by then. 

i feel better now!

where is the An-225 passenger conversion? 

or the double decker 767?

phil

impressed 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, phil1 said:

where is the An-225 passenger conversion? 

or the double decker 767?

Those have never really appealed to me. Although the An-225 passenger plane would be easy to do with a whole lot of window decals, and no, I'm not doing it. 

• Like 1

well guys.....I've received my EE 737-300 'new tooling' and its:

(drumroll)

CRAP.

new tooling apparently but very familiar. It reminds me of a kit I made a while ago, I think it was a EE 737-300. This one ALSO comes with addition lumps of plastic and beautifully crafted lumps of sprue  embedded into the pieces that are intended to be part of the model. 

Only a 3mm gap between the fuselage parts when welded together with a mixture of Poly cement and a nice layer of extra strength super glue on the top.

spacer.png

lovely fit!

spacer.png

The wings are of similar levels of piggery

I have a lot of spare zvezda parts, we've talked about the winglets....but are any other parts usable on the 300? I read somewhere that the engines might be different? like an even more exaggerated shaped cowling appearing flatter at the base?

Phil

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

My commiserations Phil but apart from the winglets I doubt if any parts of the Zvezda 738 are useable on a 733 although I suppose you could cut down the fuselage. The engines are completely different and so are the wings.

Seeing your photos reminds me why I almost never touch anything by Eastern Express. It's outrageous that such complete crap is sold at all never mind at EE's absurd prices:rant:

Dave G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Too bad that the new tooling is of similar "quality" like the old EE 737s.

Having most of their new toolings like the MD-80 versions,A220,MD-11 and the superb 747SP, this comes a bit of a surprise to me.

One can only hope that either Zvezda is continueing with their 737 range ir DACO is going to reissue the -300.

Maybe I should get me some -400 and -500 from DACO before they are also sold out...

Anyway I stay tuned with your WIP,if you are going to continue the build

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 10:42 PM, Skodadriver said:

My commiserations Phil but apart from the winglets I doubt if any parts of the Zvezda 738 are useable on a 733 although I suppose you could cut down the fuselage. The engines are completely different and so are the wings.

Seeing your photos reminds me why I almost never touch anything by Eastern Express. It's outrageous that such complete crap is sold at all never mind at EE's absurd prices:rant:

Dave G

I thought so as much. It seems though even the Zvezda winglet is slightly to large for the stubby 300 wing, which makes your Air Baltic build all the more impressive, I've noticed you've even got the little trailing (strobe?) light - which I'm presuming is that little tiny rectangular piece that fits into the zvezda winglet? Although I have spare winglets I don't have these pieces so I'm just going to reshape the current winglet to the correct size.

I did think about chopping off the exhaust section of the EE kit and replacing it with the more detailed one but it's probably not worth it

Phil

On 2/11/2022 at 9:31 AM, Alex1978 said:

Too bad that the new tooling is of similar "quality" like the old EE 737s.

Having most of their new toolings like the MD-80 versions,A220,MD-11 and the superb 747SP, this comes a bit of a surprise to me.

One can only hope that either Zvezda is continueing with their 737 range ir DACO is going to reissue the -300.

Maybe I should get me some -400 and -500 from DACO before they are also sold out...

Anyway I stay tuned with your WIP,if you are going to continue the build

It was worth a gamble as there is nothing else on the market at the minute. I'm actually waiting for a DACO 737-400 which is still available on ebay which I did consider chopping the fuselage up but it will nevertheless interesting to see the comparison

Phil

• 4 weeks later...