Hasegawa 1/72 Mil Mi-24 'Hind D' Armee de l'Air du Mali

Here's a little project I've recently completed. Some may recall it from last years Africa Group Build. Despite my best efforts I failed to meet the deadline, and with other stuff taking up my time, I'm afraid it languished on the bench. Here's the GB for pictures of the build for those who may be interested in such things

http://britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235088868-malian-air-force-mil-mi-24-hind-d/

Anyhow, here it is now finished.

The Hasegawa Hind is still a really nice kit, as one would expect from them. Considering it was issued in 1986 when information on Soviet aircraft was rather sparse, it appears to be remarkably accurate. How did they do that? I made it up pretty much out of the box, just a bit of detail for the rotor hubs and the cockpit. Finished with good old fashioned Humbrol enamels, and decals from DP Casper 'Mil Helicopters in Africa' which went on lovely without any solvents, and settled down fine on a glossy surface. Some very light weathering finished it off. A coat of matt varnish sealed it all in.

20220201_130458

20220201_125508

20220201_130049

20220201_125841

20220201_125920

20220201_125519

20220201_125306

20220201_123731

20220201_125232

20220201_130416

20220201_125212

20220201_125638

20220201_125716

20220201_125156

20220201_125736

20220201_130228

20220201_124843

Here's a couple of links to the real thing (which I hope work)

http://defenceturk.com/index.php?topic=6429.0

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9500609

The base is a new acquisition from Kits-World. Cold War Soviet Hardstanding. Not quite 100% accurate for Africa, but better than my kitchen table :) They're self adhesive, so I'll have to find a piece of board to fix it to. Used my phone camera, and the underside blue is a little brighter/deeper than in reality, but not bad really. 

Hope you like it. Thanks for stopping by. 

• Like 31

Very nice.

I remember building this when it came out, and it was the first time I had ever seen photo etch.

It was remarkably accurate, especially compared to their Mig 23 and Mig 29 kits that were released around the same time. I suppose with the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan it was one of the more photographed and filmed of their aircraft and there was a lot of reference out there.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Doc72 said:

Well done! And an interesting choice of subject. The Hind really became the weapon of choice for many African brushfire wars in the post-Cold-War era.

21 hours ago, Pauly Boy said:

Have a Hind on the bench for some time now. Wanting to do a Sierra Leone version. Inspiration!!

20 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Very nice Hind, @Smudge and a well-executed, rare scheme - well done!

Thank you everyone for the kind comments.

Yes, the Hind certainly has seen some action, and with a diverse number of users. A Sierra Leone Hind is on the DP Casper sheet. Worth getting hold of if colourful obscure helicopters are of interest.

DP Casper decal sheet  http://scalemates.com/kits/dp-casper-72030-mil-helicopters-in-africa--1379762

I hope to do a few more, Hind's and Hip's B) 

Cheers.

15 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice, Iain. It reminds me that I must finish that MiG-17 ;)

Thank you Martin. Yes, I'm looking at a couple of Airfix Fresco's still un-started in their boxes. Shame the Mig-17 GB didn't get through the poll. Maybe next time B)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John_W said:

I remember building this when it came out, and it was the first time I had ever seen photo etch.

It was remarkably accurate, especially compared to their Mig 23 and Mig 29 kits that were released around the same time. I suppose with the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan it was one of the more photographed and filmed of their aircraft and there was a lot of reference out there.

I remember making the Hasegawa Mig-23 and Mig-27 back in the mid eighties and being very pleased with them at the time. Shame they weren't quite spot on accuracy wise. Same for the Mig-25 I think, even if one did make a stop off in Japan in 1976 :D

They did a good job with the Mil-24 though, and it stands up well against the Zvezda kit. The Zvezda is on another level though, with all the engine, gearbox and interior detail.  The Hasegawa is fine for a nice straightforward build. Oh and yes, finding those little photo etch frets in a kit was quite something at the time B)

Cheers. 

• Like 1

Yes Smudge I have noticed the DP Casper sheet. Very nice. But alas I would only use the Sierra Leone decals. On Hannants shelf right now for CDN $26.00 before shipping! To rich for me :). Maybe later. Again, beautiful build!

P.S. I had a Cat called Smudge. Miss him lots.

Paul

A big interest of mine is African Conflicts. I've read about a gentleman by the name of Neal Ellis who flew Hind's for the S/L airwing against the RUF rebels and then with Executive Outcomes in the same conflict. I only ever build 1 aircraft of each type as to many subjects and not enough time. :)

I had started the Hind and put it off until I come up with some decals in a trade, etc. 

Please post any more of your interesting African builds. Love to see them!

Paul

P.S. on the table...DC6B Biafra

Mig 23ML Angola

B26K Congo

• Like 1

Thanks again for the kind comments.

On 03/02/2022 at 03:12, kapam said:

The type has often fascinated me - perhaps it's the insect-like looks of the thing (only my opinion).

Yes, it does have the look of some kind of giant bug 🦗 :D

On 03/02/2022 at 14:43, Pauly Boy said:

A big interest of mine is African Conflicts. I've read about a gentleman by the name of Neal Ellis who flew Hind's for the S/L airwing against the RUF rebels and then with Executive Outcomes in the same conflict. I only ever build 1 aircraft of each type as to many subjects and not enough time. :)

I had started the Hind and put it off until I come up with some decals in a trade, etc.  

Hi Paul. Sounds like a fascinating story. Africa really does offer some very interesting subjects. I guess they are maybe just a tad too obscure to appeal more generally.

Maybe I can sort something out with the decals. Let me have a look at what's on the sheet and I'll PM you. (might take me a day or two before I get around to it as I'm at work) 

Cheers.

• Like 1