Admiralty Drifter with Barrage Balloon - Scratchbuilt 1/350

I think the rough surface of the balloon gives it some character the lines of the hull remind me of the HMS Sir Gareth Armored Trawler

looking good so far there Rob

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

The drifter's looking great, Rob. 

I've expressed my concern about their crappy surface finish to Shapeways many times, to no avail :boom:.   The last time was for the torpedoes & Bofors guns on my Brave Borderer build.  Shapeways resin is really hard, making filing & sanding the surface difficult.  I'll be watching to see how the primer fix works out.

John

• Like 3

4 hours ago, robgizlu said:

The surface is just Horrible!

I agree the surface is not there yet,  Barrage balloons had a smoother shinier surface I think, vs this picture 

balloon

I wouldn't be afraid to try a little metallic aluminium, it may help

Difficult subject Rob, coming together very nicely

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Room for a latecomer Rob?

Just had a good look at this latest project and I'm most impressed with the way that hull has come together. 

Will follow this one for sure!

Terry

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 5:12 PM, longshanks said:

Now that's shaping up very nicely.

A star is born :clap2:

Stay safe

Kev

You want to see my Judy Garland twirl....:penguin:

On 2/15/2022 at 3:36 PM, Steve D said:

I agree the surface is not there yet,  Barrage balloons had a smoother shinier surface I think, vs this picture 

balloon

I wouldn't be afraid to try a little metallic aluminium, it may help

Difficult subject Rob, coming together very nicely

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve - I agree.  I'd lined up the Alclad Semi-matt aluminium accordingly.  it's a great pic and it's reinforced my idea as to how to suspend the balloon.  Angle the thinnest piece of wire that will suspend it so that it enters the balloon near the ventral fin and then run the thinnest wires I can find froom the balloon flap attachments to a junction such as the above to "stabilize" it.  Dat's der theory anyhow :whistle:

Thanks for all the comments Fellas

Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So this is one from the Matthews Shipyard for @Courageous and @beefy66 who I always rib for multiple builds :tapedshut: :innocent:

2022 02 01_3507

Colombo still on the boil having stepped aside for the Drifter with D 736 and Avon Vale in the foreground.  The Hunt class seems to be a superb moulding.

And thanks to those of you who pointed ou that i managed to include a Credit card in the last set of pics.  I appreciate your time gents.  The good news is that they are all way old and very time expired and I sue them to dab CA glue onto that I then pickoff with a cocktail stick or accupuncture needle

So on with the Drifter

Lots of little pieces to make such as the tabernacle foremast support and the capstan

2022 02 21_3557

The water-line silhouette was made with my new Digitial caliper as suugested by @longshanks - no home should be without one!

2022 02 21_3556

The tray lid is full of objects that will go onto othe supertructure.

Coal scuttles and window lights are added from a White Ensign set and the spares bin

2022 02 21_3547

2022 02 21_3546

2022 02 21_3545

The plan is to paint the shell as pictured - then place some transparent plastic bits to "glaz" and lay over some very thin plastic onto the glaze fro framing placing the roof over the whole.

2022 02 21_3548

The funnel was decidedly fiddly...

2022 02 21_3549

This dry fit shows how the deck will look.

2022 02 21_3550

2022 02 21_3552

2022 02 21_3551

Mast is from a 1/700 Master set

2022 02 21_3553

Boom is 0.2 nickel rod and the topping lift is 0.15 metalkasten wire

2022 02 21_3555

2022 02 21_3554

Looks like primer, painting and base soon

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 25

15 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

I always rib for multiple builds

You won't catch me doing multiple builds ......... well, hardly ever......er, maybe now and then...... 😉

That drifter is turning into a little masterpiece, love it!

Terry

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

So this is one from the Matthews Shipyard for @Courageous and @beefy66 who I always rib for multiple builds :tapedshut: :innocent:

I think we now call this encouragement Rob.  :whistle: I have no excuse with four ships on the go.:rage:

All looking mighty fine with the additions from the spares box also looking forward to seeing Avon Vale coming along I have a collection date with my Hunt Class in June at the Tyneside show as well as a couple of others I suspect just in time for my birthday.  :wink:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 5:42 PM, robgizlu said:

Glad to see that the grass isn't growing under your feet Rob, gotta keep busy.

What you're achieving here in 1/350 is knocking my 1/100 tug effort out of the park, truly great work indeed. :worthy:.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hell, Rob that is superb. As I scrolled down through yesterdays big post, my jaw dropped further & further, Flipping 'mazing mate. :) I even knew a fair bit of what you're doing, I must have been paying attention after all. :D

Steve.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...