Admiralty Drifter with Barrage Balloon - Scratchbuilt 1/350

A lot of my modelling inspiration comes from wartime photographs and in this instance, this image struck home.

There is a further image showing a bow view which is "Getty image" copyrighted so can't be reproduced here.

A-mkvi-low-zone-LZ-trawler-based-barrage-balloon

Utterly mundane but hugely important applies equally to barrage balloons and Drifters - general purpose maids of all duties.  I love the scruffy and frankly dilapidated appearance of the Drifter  contrasting with the clean uniformity of the balloon.

So inspired by builds from @Courageous and @longshanks and with specific tutelage from Kev (Diolch!!) I set out to have a go at scratchbuilding a Drifter.  The balloon arrived courtesy of Shapeways via "Classic Airships" https://www.classicairships.com/contact/.  Mr Harrington offers us the British Specific D7 type featured above and the M1 VLA (Very Low altitude) so prominent at D-day

2021 12 20_3412

The price on the Shapeways site is reasonable - the deilivery cost extortionate and the surface finish is the usual Shapeways "rough" contrasting with Micromaster or Black Cat models.  But in this instance - they were the only show in town so ......

The obvious reference was the excellent "British Naval Trawlers and Drifters in Two world Wars" by Lambert and Dunn published by Seaforth.   An inspirational book which includes several sets of drawiings including that of an "Ocean" class drifter.

2022 02 01_3504_edited-1

Logically there are 2 choices now to produce one of these vessels in 1/350 - 3D printing or old style build in sections.  I tried a few tutorials in Fusion 360 and made the decison that this would be an extended exercise having no previous experience of 3D and one likely to be ultimately well beyond me.  Oh how I envy @Iceman 29 and @Steve D and @Chewbacca :who-let-rip:.  So to the old fashioned method and special thanks again to @longshanks for talking me through his methods.  

So before we begin let's check out a few pics of Drifters of which there are many on the web.  They hailed from herring fishing boats on the East coast and having been deployed in the First Great War fouund themselves requisitioned once again for WW2 to be used as minesweepers, supply vessels, Boom boats, balloon cariers etc etc.  Generally speaking they were from 86 to 96 ft long and had a generic superstructure - often 2 masted with the forward mast tabernacle (it could be lowered backwards or removed).  Here are some general pics

61498(2)

George_Albert_FL13441

harvest reaper1

And some more pics of Barrage balloons, with grateful acknowledgment to the IWM Collection

00208009109df1f5e0dfd580e129ae6c

ROYAL AIR FORCE BALLOON COMMAND, 1939-1945.

THE HOME FRONT IN BRITAIN 1939-1945

There are some specific detail shots of drifters which will help in "filling in" the deck space

large_000000

DRIFTER MEN OF THE ROYAL NAVY. SEPTEMBER 1941, ON BOARD DRIFTERS AT SCAPA. THOUSANDS OF PEACETIME FISHERMEN WORK AS DRIFTER MEN WITH THE ROYAL NAVY. THE ENTIRE TRANSPORT OF PERSONNEL, OF FOOD SUPPLY AND OF MAIL TO WARSHIPS AT ANCHOR ARE CARRIED OUT BY THE

Lastly there are some surviving examples including Lydia Eve - https://www.lydiaevamincarlo.com/lydia-eva.html

It is possible that this build will NOT work out.  The cowardly way to do it  would have been to try in private and then publish if scuccessful but Dear Readers what price Integrity?  :whistle::lol:

The main problesm will be the bulwarks on the boat and the wheelhouse which is small and ideally would lend itself to etch, once again outside of my knowledge base.  Getting the curve at the stern will be a trial.  @Courageous had a similar problem with Everard and overcame it with ease.  The other issue is that in 1/350 scale it is SMALL.

The other major issue will be suspending the balloon and I'm going to worry about that bit when the time comes.

On the plus side - Black Cat in particular have majored on mundane deck and other fittings which will lift the detail

2022 02 01_3506

In no particular order you see:

- Small cowl vents

- Large Cowl vents

- Ready lockers

- Deck Accessories set No 2 (Deck hatches)

If the Build does work out - then expect Oystermouth Castle (Oystermouth, Mumbles being  pretty much where I grew up) soon

HMT OYSTERMOUTH CASTLE

So to the build.  Enlisting the help of my very good friend Capt. Smith, the plans were reduced to 1/350 scale and multiple sections printed

2022 02 01_3502

2022 02 01_3500

Cutting out and sticking onto 0.5mm thick plasticard.  First mistake was to stick paper down with 3M "Craft Mount" rather than 3M "Paper Mount" that Kev advised :banghead: (Stupid boy Pike!)  Craft mount is sticky +++ and a bugger to get off.  Paper Mount is sticky+ and easy to get off by rubbing or using iso-propyl alcohol to lift.

2022 02 01_3501

The cross sections are small and when it came to fitting them - frankly they didn't fit

2022 02 01_3503

2022 02 01_3498

2022 02 01_3499

Side one done and to the side you'll see some pieces that will become the superstructure.  For those that haven't previoulsy, the trick to getting symmetry is to cut your first piece THEN super glue it to an uncut piece and either whittle or file the second piece to perfectly match piece-one.  It's comparatively easy to then split the pieces using a scalpel blade and the CA glue can be scraped away - et voila.

2022 02 01_3497

And re-inforced...

2022 02 01_3496

The plan will be to build the stern up with Miliput putty and "plank" the sides with Plastruct 0.3mm thick strips, rather than fill the whole hull with putty - anyone disagree??

Side 2 is done and with some creative whittling I actually have what appears to be a symmetrical set of ribs

2022 02 01_3495

The crude "U" shaped pieces are trial pieces to get to the correct "flare" or angle for the transom bulwark

And here's the ballon to compare relative sizes

2022 02 01_3505

More soon - My, don't we have Fun!

Thanks for looking

rob

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Good to see you making a start.

Looking good so far.

I would go with easy sand car body filler all over. Milliput to hard compared with the plastic. Be sure and mark the edges with pen before you start.

Re bulwarks. You have a solid hull so you can cut a rebate to take lower edge. Use 0.16mm plastic card

Carry on Sir.....

Kev

• Like 5

To do something like this, would be so far beyond my limited modelling skills, that I wouldn’t even contemplate doing it. 

I will be following this with much interest and I am sure you will succeed.:thumbsup:

You mention extortionate delivery costs, it is a shame we in the UK have to scour the world for those little extras.

Re the balloon.
Just hollow it out and fill with helium, simples. :mental:

Jon

• Haha 2

Gidday Rob, it's interesting the way you've done the hull here, and it looks very good. I want to do some scratchbuilding of hulls in the future, there not being kits of the ships I want to do in the scale (1/600) I like. I'll be taking serious notes of your technique here. Thanks. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

@robgizlu

Great project! Knowing your previous assembly, it should be a nice model.👍 :popcorn:

Rob, you should have asked me about the balloon, it is very quick to draw and print. It would have been much finer than Shapeways. All it had to do was cross the Channel to get to you in a letter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow, Rob!  Great research project culminating it what will be a fantastic build.  With your modelling skills & the help & support of the experienced modellers on this site, you can't go wrong.  Just watch out for those seagulls trying to peck holes in your balloon.

I'll be following along with great interest. :popcorn:

John

• Thanks 1

Well this is really left field will enjoy following along with this one must try and do some scratch building myself one of these days just to keep up with the big boy's not sure what it would be mind.  :shrug:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 3

On 2/1/2022 at 3:21 AM, robgizlu said:

ROYAL AIR FORCE BALLOON COMMAND, 1939-1945.

I cannot think of a good way to "invisibly" support the barrage balloon with only a single tether without risking being grossly overscale. With multiple lines, as above, I suspect a very thin wire, say a couple-few mil or so, would be sufficient. I've purchased 3 mil brass wire from a local railway model shop; perhaps you could find similar?

I also have some 6 mil ceramic fiber. To be sure, this would indeed be oversize at 2 inches in 1/350 scale. At any rate, I am willing to donate some to the cause if that would help. PM me if interested.

• Thanks 1

Hi Fellas - I'm quite bowled over by the support and interest this has created.  Thanks for your kind comments and likes.  Pressure's on now :phew:

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

I cannot think of a good way to "invisibly" support the barrage balloon with only a single tether without risking being grossly overscale. With multiple lines, as above, I suspect a very thin wire, say a couple-few mil or so, would be sufficient. I've purchased 3 mil brass wire from a local railway model shop; perhaps you could find similar?

I also have some 6 mil ceramic fiber. To be sure, this would indeed be oversize at 2 inches in 1/350 scale. At any rate, I am willing to donate some to the cause if that would help. PM me if interested.

Thanks DN.  There's really not going to be a way to invisibly support it.  I was keen to know how much the resin balloon weighed.  The good news is Not very much.  There's a 2mm "hole" underneath that it's suggested you use a transparent plastic rod.  I will not be doing that but I'll try filling the hole and suspending the balloon on as thin a wire as it will take.  One option as you say is to use something other than metal and a carbon fibre rod such as Acuurate Armour sell, to simulate aeriels is another potential way though as you say, looks a bit thick.  I have thin wire in 0.2 and 0.3 mm all of which is overscale but whether it's sufficiently sturdy is the primary issue.  The intention is to add some tethering wires in addition using the thinnest lycra thread I can dig out.  Interestingly I had always assumed that balloons worked by obstructing an aircraft with the wire alone but apparently this was not the case for these Brit Ballons, either carried an explosive charge that slid up to  an aircraft part after the cable had parted at some sacrifical break which then exploded or used small parachutes that deployed to destabilize the aircraft.  Looking carefully at the balloon pics there is always one thicker line and I'm uncertain whether this was a top-up gas line or just a main tether.

The other issue with the ballon at a relatively low height is that the suspending wire will be partially obscured from some angles and I'm hoping that the 3 dimensionality of the piece will "win-over".  Like I said at the start of the WIP - it simply may not work.

If I'm getting nowhere I'll take you up on your very kind offer.

Rob (with some trepidation)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rob have you considered a back drop so you could attach the balloon from the rear you could make it ala Longshanks method of display as a picture frame and still have the thin wire as support from below just my thoughts   :idea:

Stay Safe 

beefy 

• Like 3

Hard 0.5mm brass wire painted white or silver may work to support it and the colour might make it not stand out too much, the main tether wire would need to be reasonably robust.  I agree perspex would actually draw the eye more.  You've given yourself quite a challenge Rob