1/72 scale airliners

gigi

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Beermonster1958 said:

The silly, small scales (mostly 1/144 &  1/200) actually put me off building more of them.

John

Having built exclusively in 1/144 for around 30 years it's interesting to learn that I have been working in a "silly" scale. I wonder how many serious airliner modellers would agree? :lol: 

Joking apart, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the DC-3 which is readily available in 1/72. Not being familiar with the kits I don't know what is the best but the new-ish Airfix one seems to get a good press.

• Like 1

I am quite positive about the 1/72 DC-9-10/15 kit of Atlantis  (the old Aurora kit).

It can be made in a nice model and is quite accurate with some small conversion work. I also made my own decals.

spacer.png

Check out how here: 

https://www.aircraftinplastic.com/models/dc-9/dc-9.html

Edited by meindert
typo
  • Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/02/2022 at 12:35, modelldoc said:

Very rar, but easy to build and simple in the construction are the former Aurora kits.

The Boeing B-737-100:

How accurate is it?

Asking as I have one in the stash.

The old Aurora B737 kit in 1/72 is indeed very inaccurate.

Forty years ago I decided to make it in an early USAF T-34 flying classroom with just a few windows so lack of accurate shapes was not that obvious. Later on, the model was discarded as I had to clear the room. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 10:01 AM, Skodadriver said:

Joking apart, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the DC-3 which is readily available in 1/72. Not being familiar with the kits I don't know what is the best but the new-ish Airfix one seems to get a good press.

Maybe because this is the 'Modern 1969 onwards' era section.

5 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Yes I know that. There were plenty of DC-3s flying in 1969. :penguin:

Hate to rain on your parade but this is the section for civil aircraft designed and built after 1969ish. Sort of the dawn of the widebodies. Having said that, it's not a hard and fast rule and I like your thinking. 

On 16/03/2022 at 22:08, Circloy said:

How accurate is it?

Asking as I have one in the stash.

I finished one a few days ago.

It can be made to look decent,but of course the kit shows its age and its by no means accurate but I like it nonetheless.

Until the BPK (BIG PLANES KITS) Boeing 737-100 appeared,it was the only game in town for a 1/72 737-100.

Here the link to my Aurora/Monogram 737 of mine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

I finished one a few days ago.

It can be made to look decent,but of course the kit shows its age and its by no means accurate but I like it nonetheless.

Until the BPK (BIG PLANES KITS) Boeing 737-100 appeared,it was the only game in town for a 1/72 737-100.

Here the link to my Aurora/Monogram 737 of mine

That's nice - accuracy aside you've shown it can be made to scrub up well

- Chellengers CL-601, 604, 605 by BPK,

- Chellenger CL 600, Falcon F50,  Learjets, Beechcrafts, Pilatus PS-12, Yakovlev Yak-42 by Amodel,

- Antonov An-148 by Kubanmodel,

- Tupolev Tu-204/214, Tu-154M, Tu-134, Sukhoy Super Jet, 100, Ilushin Il-96-300, Yakovlev Yak-42 by Aviakosmo,

- Mc Donnel Douglas MD-80, Fokkers -28/100 by replicas by JC,

- Embraers 135/145 by RVHP,

- Yak-40 by MarsModel, 

- DC-11, Boeing 747 by Anigrand.

- ATR 42/72.... (....sorry, do not remember Brasilian manufacturer).

- Avroliner BAE-146  100/200/300 by Combat kits,

- Antonov An-74 by TOKO

Edited by Gulliver

I've just noticed that a few more pre-owned 1:72 airliner kits have appeared on the Kingkit site.  They keep adding more items, in other scales, so you might need to select airliners in the catagory and 1:72 scale in the search boxes.

I have no association with these kits or Kingkit,  just being observant and, hopefully, helpful. :D

Mike

• Like 2