Special Hobby 1/48 Spitfire Mk. XII against Flying Bomb

AliGauld

No pretentious or musically themed title on this on as I couldn't think of one. :blush:

I've had this one for a while as well and have looked at it quite a few times but as it required figure painting I've always backed away but as @Andy J said as long as it's respectable then it'll be OK.

The other person responsible for this is @mark.au who got me wanting to do another Spitfire.

On with some Pics.

kSn96XY.jpg

leKZo2L.jpg

zHNCHrO.jpg

3zGqRuP.jpg

F2nFpW3.jpg

WApwGzg.jpg

7qu9gnI.jpg

hAgzcFz.jpg

Ozx1AgI.jpg

lXuhDj3.jpg

U4vbhCC.jpg

And it comes with a stand.

Gq79ZSA.jpg

Plastic will be mutilated later.

Thanks for running.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 20

Great choice Alistair I have my packs of jammy dodgers at the ready and a nice bottle of Amarula to swill them down with 😊. Now come on get cracking there's a good chap 🙂👍

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Great, front row seat....

I got the nibbles Alistair.

Simon.

Welcome aboard,

Glad to have you here.

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Great choice Alistair I have my packs of jammy dodgers at the ready and a nice bottle of Amarula to swill them down with 😊. Now come on get cracking there's a good chap 🙂👍

Nice to have you along for the ride. I'll do my best to get started tomorrow.

53 minutes ago, mark.au said:

I’m in for this one

Glad to have you along with this.

36 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice choice Alistair,  I will tag along.  Just ordered myself a pair of Eduard Spitfire Vs in the new Southern Star boxing, couldn't resist after selling some kits.

Good luck with the figure painting

Chris

Always a pleasure to see you.

I've got the Southern Star boxing on it's way as well although it's taking it's time. 

I have this grandiose plan to build all the Spitfires from the Story boxings at some point in time to try and make all the marks.

If Eduard release them all, that is.

I'll give the figure painting a go but if it doesn't work too well it will be behind the canopy. :wicked:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 4

Not my scale, but the Mk XII is my all time favorite Spitfire, Nachos and a cold Shiner Bock at the ready- let the games begin! (The smell of painted plastic and the sound of screaming women!) :giggle:

Mike

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Welcome aboard,

Glad to have you here.

Nice to have you along for the ride. I'll do my best to get started tomorrow.

Glad to have you along with this.

Always a pleasure to see you.

I've got the Southern Star boxing on it's way as well although it's taking it's time. 

I have this grandiose plan to build all the Spitfires from the Story boxings at some point in time to try and make all the marks.

If Eduard release them all, that is.

I'll give the figure painting a go but if it doesn't work too well it will be behind the canopy. :wicked:

Cheers,

Alistair

Not much will be seen when he's sat I'm the cockpit !!! Like yer style Alistair 😎 I never bother with the pilot's as I don't think I would do them justice. 

Nice plan for the Eduard builds. Got one of their MkIX in the stash, mainly Airfix, Revell and Special Hobby ones in the stash.

Chris 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Not my scale, but the Mk XII is my all time favorite Spitfire, Nachos and a cold Shiner Bock at the ready- let the games begin! (The smell of painted plastic and the sound of screaming women!) :giggle:

Mike

Not my usual scale either but I couldn't resist the subject.

4 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Not much will be seen when he's sat I'm the cockpit !!! Like yer style Alistair 😎 I never bother with the pilot's as I don't think I would do them justice. 

Nice plan for the Eduard builds. Got one of their MkIX in the stash, mainly Airfix, Revell and Special Hobby ones in the stash.

Chris 

With the subject being in flight I didn't have much choice about the pilot :lol: but it'll be fun.

I've managed to pick up all the "Spitfire Story" boxing and keep getting them out and fondling them lovingly.

Is that wrong.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Billthebattler said:

Oooo, Think I'm going to have to keep my eye on this, sounds fascinating.👍

I have painted Fleet Air Arm figures before and they turned out alright. Give it a go and I'll bet you'll amaze yourself.  

We'll see how it goes.

I'll be hitting plenty of YouTube tutorials that's for sure.

Cheers,

Alistair

I don't know how serious you want to get with this beastie Alistair but it might be worth checking out 'So what's actually wrong with Special Hobby's Spitfire XII?' right here on Britmodeller. Lot's of input from Troy Smith et al.

TRF

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jeff G said:

Ah, my favourite scale! Saying that I should duck for cover....but stick along for the build! Excited for this one.

Welcome and I hope that I can do it justice.

6 hours ago, fastterry said:

I don't know how serious you want to get with this beastie Alistair but it might be worth checking out 'So what's actually wrong with Special Hobby's Spitfire XII?' right here on Britmodeller. Lot's of input from Troy Smith et al.

TRF

Thanks for that. I'll have a gander at that thread but to be honest I am kid of a, if it vaguely resembles a (insert mark here), kind of modeller.

This will be OOB, I think.

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

Niiiice - I'm in. Look forward to seeing what you can do with this,

Cheers,

Roger

Welcome aboard Roger,

Nice to see you.

No pressure then. :lol:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2022 at 8:41 PM, AliGauld said:

I've managed to pick up all the "Spitfire Story" boxing and keep getting them out and fondling them lovingly.

Is that wrong.

I'm afraid so, it's the early signs of an unhealthy obsession which may spiral out of control until you end up huddled over your modelling bench surrounded by stacked tiers of kit boxes. The only cure is complete abstinence and I suggest you start your recovery by sending all your Spitfires to me (for safe keeping of course).

I shall now return to the back of the room and keep quiet. 

Craig.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I'm afraid so, it's the early signs of an unhealthy obsession which may spiral out of control until you end up huddled over your modelling bench surrounded by stacked tiers of kit boxes. The only cure is complete abstinence and I suggest you start your recovery by sending all your Spitfires to me (for safe keeping of course).

I shall now return to the back of the room and keep quiet. 

Craig.

Oops too late. :facepalm:

It's already happened.

Thanks for the helpful offer though.

The Southern Star boxing arrived ten minutes ago and I did really well managed to keep the parts in unopened bags. :penguin:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Oops too late. :facepalm:

It's already happened.

Thanks for the helpful offer though.

The Southern Star boxing arrived ten minutes ago and I did really well managed to keep the parts in unopened bags. :penguin:

Cheers,

Alistair

What's it like Alistair,  mine is on the way

Chris 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

What's it like Alistair,  mine is on the way

Chris 

Looks to be of the usual Eduard quality. Plenty of detail.

Some nice schemes especially the Trop ones.

A slight difference with the destructions as the models are split into 2. One for the Vb the second half for the Vc.

The usual mask and photo etch and a surprise. There is a bit  3d printed wing tips for the clipped wing version but only one set.

That was just a quick perusal as my Airfix club box arrived about 5 minutes later.

Overall it looks to be another great boxing.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Looks to be of the usual Eduard quality. Plenty of detail.

Some nice schemes especially the Trop ones.

A slight difference with the destructions as the models are split into 2. One for the Vb the second half for the Vc.

The usual mask and photo etch and a surprise. There is a bit  3d printed wing tips for the clipped wing version but only one set.

That was just a quick perusal as my Airfix club box arrived about 5 minutes later.

Overall it looks to be another great boxing.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair excited about my arrival on Monday possibly,  my Airfix club box arrived too with the lovely Hawks . Very nice.

Chris

• Like 1

Beware the fit of the canopy (specifically, the sliding part).  When I say 'fit', what I mean is, it doesn't.  The Fi-103 builds into quite a nice little display item though.  Good luck ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Werdna said:

Beware the fit of the canopy (specifically, the sliding part).  When I say 'fit', what I mean is, it doesn't.  The Fi-103 builds into quite a nice little display item though.  Good luck ;) 

Thanks very much for the warning/tip.

I'll be looking at it.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

On 01/02/2022 at 13:08, AliGauld said:

hanks for that. I'll have a gander at that thread but to be honest I am kid of a, if it vaguely resembles a (insert mark here), kind of modeller.

This will be OOB, I think.

It's a lot better accuracy wise than the Airfix kit.  AFAIK, it's a little bit short, and a bit limited run.   The Airfix kit has a long list of glitches.  Build OOB and enjoy, hopefully.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

It's a lot better accuracy wise than the Airfix kit.  AFAIK, it's a little bit short, and a bit limited run.   The Airfix kit has a long list of glitches.  Build OOB and enjoy, hopefully.

Thanks very much for the info,, Troy.

I really hope I'm going to enjoy it.

I should manage to get going with it when I get my next day off.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Plastic has finally been cut and resin has been razored.

About time I hear you all scream.

Tamiya Neutral grey sprayed as primer.

c1QD8p5.jpg

hsfRHHG.jpg

ExPJxQk.jpg

rmEp9jv.jpg

1WJNkml.jpg

I'll need to gut some putty in the arm joins of the pilot but he looks better off the block.

W18TK4V.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 8