Help to identify this German WW2 truck model please?

fightersweep

Hi all;

Just wondered if anyone could id this German truck for me. A friend asked if I could help him id what this is a model of. It's 1/144 scale apparently.

I'm not to bad with most German types, but there seems to be so many hybrids and mods of existing designs that I haven't got a clue with this one. My first thought was Mercedes. Any help greatly would be appreciated.

51854101748_6e550d0ac8_c.jpg

Cheers!

Steve

Thanks for the info! Most helpful! So this was a designation/mod for varying makes of truck too (just to muddy the waters). Is the model based on an Opel then? The more I look at the bonnet, I'm seeing and Opel truck.

Cheers!

Steve

The Maultier term was applied to lots of half-tracked trucks.  I agree that this one looks more like an Opel Blitz than any of the others, although one of the Mercedes range is similar.  However the Opel is very much the "assumed standard Wehrmacht truck" for  model makers.  Note that this one also has the Einheits cab which was also effectively common to different manufacturers.

• Thanks 1

Many or most normal 3.5 t  trucks got the Maultier conversion at the east. Suitable from fall winter and autumn. It could be easily interchanged to normal drive units again. 

This convrrsion was designed by some members from the Waffen SS.

Happy modelling 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, dov said:

This convrrsion was designed by some members from the Waffen SS.

Really?  This sounds too much like the standard "done in a front line unit because the rear staff are totally incompetent" myth.  It poses the question of just where they got all the half-track units from to work with, not to mention various other bits.  It may of course have been originally suggested by a member of the Waffen SS, but it must have been a fairly obvious suggestion to many after the mud and snow of late 1941..

Late to the party, but I'd agree wit the above - a Maultier (mule) conversion of a late model Opel Blitz with the simplified wooden cab that replaced the original rounded steel one. Quite unusual, Google finds lots of Maultier pictures and lots of Einheits pictures but I haven't seen one (yet) that matches your model and has both. 

Andy

The conversion from standard wheel drive to track chain drive for standard LKW's can be done in 30 minutes!

You may mix it up with real half tracks. Like SdKfz 3, 4, 5,.  11, 12.

This is a very different matter.

My source is from Motorbuch, the best source I think in Germany.

Happy modelling