WW2 jets and rockets proposal - A Pillar Of Fire; well, we tried!

jackroadkill

Having seen some excellent models of late WWII jet or rocket aircraft on the forum recently I began to think of a possible GB with this subject as its focus.  I did some digging and found the 2018 Me262 STGB, which was hosted by @trickyrich.  At first I wondered about the possibility of reviving this for 2023 but then thought that perhaps widening the scope might be fun.  So, with that in mind, I present to you the Pillar Of Fire GB proposal:

Any jet or rocket powered aircraft or missile that is known to have flown or a known prototype built before VJ Day is eligible.  I’m keen to avoid anything in the realms of the “What If?” and keep builds to types that made it off the drawing board in some meaningful way.  They don’t have to have seen active service (or even flown successfully) but must have progressed beyond the design stage.  For example, a model of a type that had reached the prototyping stage but didn’t make it into active service may be eligible if presented as that particular prototype, rather than a "what if?" of the type in service. 

Wikipedia (yeah, I know….) lists 29 aircraft types that are potentially eligible (not including missiles) so there’s plenty of scope.  Trickyrich has generously offered to co-host, and will be the final arbiter of eligibility, should my knowledge fail me!

If anyone would like to support this proposal, please let me know and I will add your names to the list of participants.  Many thanks to Trickyrich for his help and support thus far.

Thanks,

Jackroadkill

1. Jackroadkill

2. Trickyrich

3. Tim R-T-C

4. Marklo

5. Theplasticsurgeon

6. Corsairfoxfouruncle

7. LorenSharp

8. Jockney

9. Mig Eater

10. MarkSH

11. gingerbob

12. Greg Destec

13. Wez

14. Retired Bob

15. Andwil

16. CliffB

17. Longbow

18. 81-er

19. Mark.au

20. Sir Dennis

21. Jasper dog

22. Beazer

23. Modelling Minion

24. vppelt68

25. Angus Tura

26. Torbjorn

27. Jb65rams

28. Richard Humm

29. wellzy

30. Werdna

31. Mottlemaster

32. Casey

33. Walter

34. John Masters

And there I was expecting some sort of Biblical themed GB 😁

But I'm definitely in for this one, got a selection of Me262s, Me163, He162 and Ba349 in the stash and I think its unlikely I will get them all built this year!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tim R-T-C said:

And there I was expecting some sort of Biblical themed GB 😁

If you can find a suitable description from scripture, and conjour a model... technically, that's before VJ day... 

Just sayin'. 

• Haha 5

Im in with one of a few types, P-59 (if I can find one), P-80, He-162, He-280, Ho-229, or Me-163. Id have added the Meteor but since Im running the STGB in about 6 months I think I’ll pick something else. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Count me in. It gives me an excuse(like I need one, Really) to do a JU-287 converted from a He-177 with those nice forward swept wings.

51855157301_dcd811f877_b.jpg

I might have the wings designed in time...:clif:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pin said:

Why should the time period be limited to WW2? 

It is the very dawn of the operational Jet and very limited Rocket age. The genesis of what to come is on display in the first generation of these aircraft.

VJ day is a very convenient date to end, otherwise what date?  The 1950 is a bit too late as we are already starting to see masses of 2nd gen. jet designs (and yes you can argue there were 2nd gen designs in the earlier period to). Plus there is no convenient in the 40's so VJ day as an end date makes everything nice and simple.

The repository of all knowledge, Wiki, should have the dates first flown so that will make it easier. The plans/paper stuff, there were no new Axis projects after that date, the Allied stuff will need a bit of researching. 

2 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Count me in. It gives me an excuse(like I need one, Really) to do a JU-287 converted from a He-177 with those nice forward swept wings.

51855157301_dcd811f877_b.jpg

I might have the wings designed in time...:clif:

I have built one of these many years ago, the 1/72nd Huma model, it does look super cool, and truly amazing that it actually flew as well!

• Like 1

• jackroadkill changed the title to A Pillar Of Fire GB (WW2 jets and rockets) proposal

Oh I was thinking solely of rockets. I have a 1/48 Gloster Whittle as me a 1/48 Heinkel 170 both of which I was planning for the prototypes GB but frankly I have  so many possible builds for that GB I’d have no problem holding them over for next year.

Actually looking at the GB title it made me recall that Adolf Galland describes flying the 262 ( I’m paraphrasing here) like being borne up on the wings of angels in his book The first and the last ( very good read, should be compulsory reading for all trainee managers, you’ll know why if you read it) might make a nice subtext for the title, to allude to the jets.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

I assume that there is an implied limitation that it must be an individual airframe or at least variant that is from the appropriate time before someone tries to enter a Meteor NF.14 in this or something?

8 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

I assume that there is an implied limitation that it must be an individual airframe or at least variant that is from the appropriate time before someone tries to enter a Meteor NF.14 in this or something?

Yes, it has to have been built or flown before VJ Day, so a Meteor would be fine as long as that version was produced pre-VJ (in this case F9./40 prototypes, F.1 - F.3 variants.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely in this one.

Don't forget it wasn't just Germany doing these, Japan UK US and Russia did their own as well.

Quite fancy a V2 in Black and white squares. Seeing as how one landed in my mums street in Londons East End and did extensive "redevelopment " !

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Definitely in this one.

Nice one, Pat.  Have added you to the list of suspects volunteers.

Quite fancy a V2 in Black and white squares. Seeing as how one landed in my mums street in Londons East End and did extensive "redevelopment " !

That would be very cool indeed.

Don't forget it wasn't just Germany doing these, Japan UK US and Russia did their own as well.

Absolutely; the US flew four P-80's in limited capacity in Italy in the closing days of the war, and the Japanese had versions of the V1 Reichenburg and Me163, to name but two possibilities.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

You can add me to the list, I have a Soviet Bi-1 rocket plane & a Me-163 that I've had for decades & need an excuse to build 😛

You're on the list!  Thanks for signing up.

Well, considering that this (aircraft, not Bertie's question) is one of my "special interest categories", I'm honor-bound to sign up.  My first thought was, "Hmm, which ones that fit the category do I NOT yet have in the inventory?"

bob

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

How about rockets launched from ground vehicles such as the Sherman Calliope or the Russian Katyushka, or the naval equivalents? 

I Bertie, I'll have a word with @trickyrich and we'll get back to you.

30 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Well, considering that this (aircraft, not Bertie's question) is one of my "special interest categories", I'm honor-bound to sign up.  My first thought was, "Hmm, which ones that fit the category do I NOT yet have in the inventory?"

bob

Hi Bob, thanks for signing up - you're on the list!