Tech stencils over/under factory decals etc. BoB aircraft and beyond.

Lindsey C

Hi guys,

I am trying to get a default in my head for technical stencils related to factory applied markings, roundels, fin flashes etc. applied thereafter where they occur in the same position. My presumption is that tech stencils would have been applied over any factory painted markings at factory level and thereafter markings applied at base level would over-paint any stencils. Or were stencils ever applied at base level? As the under side scheme changed from black/silver to Sky S to Black/White I presume those schemes applied at base level over-painted the stencils but those same schemes coming from factory had stencils over other markings where the two appear in the same location.

Thanks in advance,

Lindsey

Stencils and serial would be the first things applied, following the camoflauge. 

https://images.immediate.co.uk/production/volatile/sites/7/2007/11/GettyImages-613479400big-8b988b9.jpg?webp=true&quality=90&resize=355%2C236

Roundels and stencils were carefully placed so as not to interfere.

Unit codes were usually applied at squadron level. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Roundels would be applied over stencils, by the factory.

The positions of roundels and stencils were all planned, they weren't random, so roundels wouldn't be applied over stencils at the factory - kind of defeats the object of putting the stencil on in the first place.

There's also photo's of roundels going on before the camo. 

Once in service stencils could be painted out, painted round or re-applied, depends on who was doing it, where it was being done and the time constraints on completing the job.

Stencils would be less likely to be re-applied if being done on the squadron or in a hurry, more likely at an MU or Civilian Repair centre if working to a normal time frame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

The positions of roundels and stencils were all planned, they weren't random, so roundels wouldn't be applied over stencils at the factory - kind of defeats the object of putting the stencil on in the first place.

Yes, you're quite right! Perhaps I was thinking more from a modelling point of view, putting on the black line for the no step marking before the roundel :)

37 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Ah interesting, I'll be taking a look at that. Could make for an interesting diorama. I certainly know some modern restorations have had roundels painted then masked, before the camo! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Yes, you're quite right! Perhaps I was thinking more from a modelling point of view, putting on the black line for the no step marking before the roundel

I put on my Roundels then the 'Walk Outboard' lines on either side of the roundel. I must like making work for myself 🤣 but is has the benefit of the roundel pulling in better to the panel line🙂

Regards,

Lindsey

Edited by Lindsey C

Acording to the late expert Edgar wing walkway lines did not encroach on the roundels, there is a thread on this subject here, this is specific to the Spitfire but it probably applies to other RAF subjects.

As to the painting sequence here is another thread

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1

On 30/01/2022 at 20:57, Dave Swindell said:

Most British aircraft manufacturers first flight their new built aircraft with just the roundels and serials applied - a legal requirement, as here on a Javelin FAW.8 :-

spacer.png

Once all the kinks have been ironed out, they are painted up in the full scheme and delivered to the Unit.  The one exception that I know of was the original Harrier (GR.1 - GR.3), where all the component parts were painted up and then assembled.  The camouflage pattern on that aircraft was carefully designed to avoid going over removable panel lines or major construction joints eg wing/fuselage.

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1