1-48 Mustang IV

Finished this one 2 weeks ago.  It was 5 days in the making and is basically out of the box with micro-tube gun barrels and I had to add "vents' ( thin plastic rod sanded into triangles) to the lower nose panels..  It is the Italeri kit which is Hasegawa sprues and Italeri decals.  It went together very well but ahhh those decals.  They are really well printed, sharp with good colour and register.  The option I chose, RCAF 442 Sqn., however, has overly large codes.  I think the decal designer started with the standard 18" scale letters then added the yellow border making them a scale 24" - far too big.  The other codes on the sheet look OK. The box art and decal instructions do not show the codes as oversized. Finally a glance at Eduard's instructions for the same subject confirm it.   Unfortunately this was not discovered until after the model was fully painted and I had no choice but to go with them.  Now another "issue" appeared as the decals were rather "stiff" and did not want to settle into the details.  Despite using Microset/sol, daco and Mr. Mark Softer, they just didn't want to soften as much as I wished.  In the end, Micro set and sol followed up with a hairdryer on "hot" got them to behave.  Paints are Tamiya acrylics with the yellow a mix of flat yellow with a few drops of orange.

Incidentily Y2-B took part in the last official Allied air sortie of WW2.  On 9 May 1945, the day after the armistice, she flew cover over the Channel Isles  just in case the surrender of the island did not go smoothly.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The vents were made by sanding some plastic rod into a triangular profile and then adding right over the existing panel.  This was later filled and sanded to blend in a bit better.

spacer.png

Edited by Bill Bunting
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Lovely job Bill,..... I`ve built the very same aircraft myself,...... the units Mustangs were very colourful indeed,....  you`ll have to do a silver one next?

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, tonyot said:

Lovely job Bill,..... I`ve built the very same aircraft myself,...... the units Mustangs were very colourful indeed,....  you`ll have to do a silver one next?

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for the kind words.  Maybe later for a silver/blue one.  Next up is a bathroom renovation that will seriously interrupt model making.  I did 3 1/2 kits in January, I was on a roll!  After the reno it will be a 442 Sqn Vampire or a 111 Sqn (RCAF) P40E.  Or maybe even a F101 Voodoo 409 Sqn.  Plus I just ordered an Eduard Mustang IV and a Spitfire IX that I will build for my friend Dave who flies each at Vintage Wings Canada near Ottawa. They are both finished as 442 Sqn.  Y2-C and Y2-K.

Cheers!

• Like 1