Valom Vickers Valetta VX574

Can't believe I'm posting the second build of 2022, still in the first month as my first! Not a bad start for me! It only took 2 weeks to do.

Valom have been releasing some great choices of aircraft, and this is no exception. Typical short run kit comprising great surface detail, a bit of etch and on the whole going together very well although with some tricky bits. There's no location pins so I added tabs to the fuselage halves to aid assembly and location of some of the smaller parts is somewhat vague, but enjoyed doing it. The only real challenges were the undercarriage so I pinned them, and losing an oil cooler. To get round this, I made another...then lost that one too so I made another! I took a break whilst the third was drying and hoovered around the modelling bench and found the original even though I'd looked there several times! Adding the white pinstripe was quite difficult, I used some very thin masking tape to mask whilst doing the blue, but quite happy with how it turned out. There should be two upper windows on the rear starboard side of the fuselage, but only one was supplied in the kit and I didn't notice until the painting stage. 

Painted in MRP Super Silver, white and the blue was a mixture of MRP marking blue and black primer although this seemed to fade and become much lighter over the years.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Neil

• Like 65
  • Thanks 4

This is superb- I like everything about it from the crisp window masking to the staining aft of the cooling gills👍

I have one in the stash but am only using the fuselage as a trailer load you could have had me spare cooler! 🙂

thanks for sharing-  top work 

TT

• Like 1

A superb model of a type that is rarely shown built.  Lovely finish, subtle weathering and a great choice of livery and markings. Thanks for sharing.

Mark

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

This is superb- I like everything about it from the crisp window masking to the staining aft of the cooling gills👍

I have one in the stash but am only using the fuselage as a trailer load you could have had me spare cooler! 🙂

thanks for sharing-  top work 

TT

Thanks, I got sorted in the end on the cooler. Look forwards to seeing your trailer dio with the fuslelage, sounds interesting :)

10 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Very, very nice!  :like: I admire your work on masking the cheat lines and stripes. Well done! Looks like one of Valom's better efforts- might have to get one! 

Mike

Thanks Mike, certainly recommend it :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kev67 said:

That looks superb Neil, just the right amount of weathering,I bought 2 of these plus the Viking, and looks a nice kit, maybe Valom might bring out a Hastings next

Thanks Kev,

Now, a Hastings would be great, fingers crossed!

21 hours ago, Viking said:

Crikey Neil, that is exceptional. The silver finish is outstanding, what did you use for it?

A real classy looking model.

Cheers

John

Thanks John,

I used MRP Super silver dulled down a bit with some matt varnish. It's over their black primer too. I'm still getting to grips with silver although I think I'll be a life long learner on that front!

17 hours ago, stringbag said:

Hell's teeth, that's a cracker Neil.

Love the finish you have achieved Matey.

Chris.

Tar Chris, it's a nice kit. Quite fancy doing a Viking having done this one. 

I was going to say what a great finish it has and the matt varnish could be the magic ingredient, getting a good authentic silver finish isn't easy and to me it looks like you've cracked it and given me  thoughts on how to do my silver finishes. Not only that the overall finish is pretty damn good, something I would like to achieve so a definite A+ from me 👍

Gorgeous job Neil,...... nice to see you doing a Valetta,..... and such a nice one at that,...... you are on a roll now pal,

Cheers

Tony