Best option for a 1/72 Messerschmitt 262 A-1a/U4

Madalo

MPM did an injected kit, 72019, but it's one of their erarlier efforts; ARBA also did a resin/metal conversion to be used with the single seat kit of your choice. I got the MPM kit very cheaply, and will most likely use the U4 bits with a Hasegawa, Airfix, or Revell Me262A-1 kit. I do like it in the V083 markings. It's really not a difficult conversion to do from scratch; needs the bulged fairing added to the upper nose, fill the gun ports and case ejector chutes, and modify the nose gear bay/strut/fairing door. Can scratch build the cannon barrel and muzzle brake or take one from a 1/72 armor model. IIRC, somebody also did the conversion, but I forget who it might have been.

Mike

https://inchhighguy.wordpress.com/2021/05/13/revell-messerschmitt-me-262a-1a-u4-of-major-wilhelm-herget-in-1-72-scale/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvM17oLGbCohttps://hobbiesandbeyond.com/products/copy-of-messerschmitt-me-262a-1a-u4-1-72-scale-plastic-model-kit-mpm-72019

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/mpm-production-72019-messerschmitt-me-262-a-1a-u4--132284

https://www.luft46models.com/manufacturers/me/me262var.php

Found it!

http://www.ratomodeling.com.br/reviews/cmk_7007/

• Like 2

Thanks for the advices and links! I saw the MPM kit and got curious. I haven’t ordered it but have Revell, Airfix and Academy 262’s in my stash.

I ordered the Schatton BK 5 cm metal barrel which looks like an excellent thing to add with the pepperpot muzzlebrake.

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

MPM did an injected kit, 72019, but it's one of their erarlier efforts; ARBA also did a resin/metal conversion to be used with the single seat kit of your choice. I got the MPM kit very cheaply, and will most likely use the U4 bits with a Hasegawa, Airfix, or Revell Me262A-1 kit. I do like it in the V083 markings. It's really not a difficult conversion to do from scratch; needs the bulged fairing added to the upper nose, fill the gun ports and case ejector chutes, and modify the nose gear bay/strut/fairing door. Can scratch build the cannon barrel and muzzle brake or take one from a 1/72 armor model. IIRC, somebody also did the conversion, but I forget who it might have been.

Mike

https://inchhighguy.wordpress.com/2021/05/13/revell-messerschmitt-me-262a-1a-u4-of-major-wilhelm-herget-in-1-72-scale/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvM17oLGbCohttps://hobbiesandbeyond.com/products/copy-of-messerschmitt-me-262a-1a-u4-1-72-scale-plastic-model-kit-mpm-72019

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/mpm-production-72019-messerschmitt-me-262-a-1a-u4--132284

https://www.luft46models.com/manufacturers/me/me262var.php

Found it!

http://www.ratomodeling.com.br/reviews/cmk_7007/

Alan W Hall in the old (1970's??) Airfix magazine Annual series 

• Like 2

Alan Hall did a couple of conversion articles for the Airfix Me 262 in Airfix Magazine, November and December 1966.  The December one touched on the A-1a/U4.  He suggested a lump of balsa for the blister, faired with body putty and the gun to be taken from an Airfix Tiger tank. 

He seemed to think the nosewheel was mounted on the opposite side of the leg, ie port rather than starboard.  It isn't in the picture above.  I wonder why he thought that?

I wasn't going to mention the Hall articles, for fear of being thought an old guy (which I am, proudly) who doesn't believe in defaulting to buying resin (which I don't, also proudly).  Aw, what the heck!  :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I bought the MPM 50mm cannon and glazed nose Me 262 kits in a Hannants sale about 20 years ago.  They come with the Heller kit as a basis.  I was quite taken with the glazed nose version but remember being disappointed with the big gun kit: it went back into its box and has stayed there ever since.  I think that was because the main conversion part is the gun barrel and I recall it as oval in cross-section, flashy and with a poorly defined muzzle brake.   Nowadays a turned metal 50mm barrel seems a much better start point.  It’s for the individual to decide whether the transfer sheet and remaining crude conversion parts make the MPM kit still worth buying.  Some use as patterns maybe.

9 hours ago, Seahawk said:

I bought the MPM 50mm cannon and glazed nose Me 262 kits in a Hannants sale about 20 years ago.  They come with the Heller kit as a basis.  I was quite taken with the glazed nose version but remember being disappointed with the big gun kit: it went back into its box and has stayed there ever since.  I think that was because the main conversion part is the gun barrel and I recall it as oval in cross-section, flashy and with a poorly defined muzzle brake.   Nowadays a turned metal 50mm barrel seems a much better start point.  It’s for the individual to decide whether the transfer sheet and remaining crude conversion parts make the MPM kit still worth buying.  Some use as patterns maybe.

Sad, but true! I took a 50mm gun barrel from a 1/72 armor kit- I can't recall which one. I was going to use the etched set and just the section of the MPM kit nose that has the bulged fairing, and graft it on one of my Hasegawa or Revell kits. (Frankly, it wouldn't be all that difficult to make the fairing out of out of putty or a suitable section taken from a bomb or external tank. You would also need to remove the rear section of the nose wheel bay and box in a new larger  section to fit the nose wheel, which rotates 90 degrees to fit under the cannon assembly. Also need to cut a  larger opening of the wheel bay at the rear, but you can use the etched wheel cover as a pattern. The rest of the MPM kit, less the vacuform canopy, is pretty much junk- Too bad neither Academy, Revell, nor Airfix had engineered the nose section forward of the windscreen as separate  assemblies, as they could have released so many additional variants with just an extra sprue for each one! (If they would only consult us before they do new releases!) :angry:

Mike

@Madalo,

I found a resin one-piece nose to convert a Hasegawa Me-262A into an Me-262A-1a/U4. Made by High Flight, HF7202. it;s a solid resin nose with the correct nose wheel bay and no cannon cannon ports or case slots . Don't see why it couldn't be used with a Revell or Airfix kit. Being solid resin, you won't need nose weight! Thought you might be interested; Check your favorite model distributor or auction site. Haven't found anyone who does a turned metal barrel and muzzle brake for the Mauser Mk214A that was fitted to the Me- 262, Hs-129, and Me-410, doggone it! Master does a beauty for the 1/48 Hobbyboss kit!

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

@Madalo,

I found a resin one-piece nose to convert a Hasegawa Me-262A into an Me-262A-1a/U4. Made by High Flight, HF7202. it;s a solid resin nose with the correct nose wheel bay and no cannon cannon ports or case slots . Don't see why it couldn't be used with a Revell or Airfix kit. Being solid resin, you won't need nose weight! Thought you might be interested; Check your favorite model distributor or auction site. Haven't found anyone who does a turned metal barrel and muzzle brake for the Mauser Mk214A that was fitted to the Me- 262, Hs-129, and Me-410, doggone it! Master does a beauty for the 1/48 Hobbyboss kit!

Mike

I had the High Flight set, ended up getting rid of it in favour of the Schatton Modellbau one.

13 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

Actually, no, it's 1/72

Went to their webstore and the only one I  could find was for the 1/48 kit- guess that means they don't have any of the 1/72 ones left. I do have a good 1/72 barrel, just need to make a muzzle brake; think I might try my variable speed Dremel as a lathe and turn one out of sprue.

Mike

9 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Went to their webstore and the only one I  could find was for the 1/48 kit- guess that means they don't have any of the 1/72 ones left. I do have a good 1/72 barrel, just need to make a muzzle brake; think I might try my variable speed Dremel as a lathe and turn one out of sprue.

Mike

I had no problem placing one into the shopping cart - are you on their website or another's?  The link I provided above will take you directly to the conversion set in question (and Schatton's website).

spacer.png

On 01/02/2022 at 01:06, 72modeler said:

Sad, but true! I took a 50mm gun barrel from a 1/72 armor kit- I can't recall which one. I was going to use the etched set and just the section of the MPM kit nose that has the bulged fairing, and graft it on one of my Hasegawa or Revell kits. (Frankly, it wouldn't be all that difficult to make the fairing out of out of putty or a suitable section taken from a bomb or external tank. You would also need to remove the rear section of the nose wheel bay and box in a new larger  section to fit the nose wheel, which rotates 90 degrees to fit under the cannon assembly. Also need to cut a  larger opening of the wheel bay at the rear, but you can use the etched wheel cover as a pattern. The rest of the MPM kit, less the vacuform canopy, is pretty much junk- Too bad neither Academy, Revell, nor Airfix had engineered the nose section forward of the windscreen as separate  assemblies, as they could have released so many additional variants with just an extra sprue for each one! (If they would only consult us before they do new releases!) :angry:

Mike

Armour kit...5cm gun with muzzle brake... maybe Sd.kfz 234/2?

@fernandocouto.

I have no idea, except that it came from a 1/72 Esci armor kit of some kind- the barrel was very nice, but the muzzle brake was not correct. I just got a 1/72 High Flight resin conversion set, HF 7202, that has a solid resin nose with correct nose gear bay, as well as a very nice white metal MG214A 50mm gun barrel with the correct muzzle brake- made for the Hasegawa kit, but I bet it will fit my Revell or Airfix kit. I'm thinking I will cross kit one of my Hasegawa and Revell kits, as I don't like the lack of cooling vents on the rear of  the nacelles on the Airfix kit, and the Hasegawa and  Revell kits have them.

Mike 

12 hours ago, 72modeler said:

@fernandocouto.

I have no idea, except that it came from a 1/72 Esci armor kit of some kind- the barrel was very nice, but the muzzle brake was not correct. I just got a 1/72 High Flight resin conversion set, HF 7202, that has a solid resin nose with correct nose gear bay, as well as a very nice white metal MG214A 50mm gun barrel with the correct muzzle brake- made for the Hasegawa kit, but I bet it will fit my Revell or Airfix kit. I'm thinking I will cross kit one of my Hasegawa and Revell kits, as I don't like the lack of cooling vents on the rear of  the nacelles on the Airfix kit, and the Hasegawa and  Revell kits have them.

Mike 

Referring to your reply it may be from pak 38 or sd.kfz 234/2. About 4 years ago I got a second-hand Italeri Me410 with CMK 5cm gun converting set, with an alumium gun barrel. However I prefer to build a night bomber version, so I'd like to try fitting CMK gun to a Hasegawa or Revell kit. Someone got MPM Me262 kits several months ago, but....Me262 was one of MPM's earlier attempts, so...

4 hours ago, fernandocouto said:

Someone got MPM Me262 kits several months ago, but....Me262 was one of MPM's earlier attempts, so...

It's really pretty crude, even the old Jo-Han kit is much better, great transparencies, is scribed, and has parts to build the single or two-seat version; I was using a lot of its parts to mate to a Heller Me0262b-1a, but then the much better kits came out from Hasegawa, Revell, and then Airfix, so I saved them in my parts bin. The gun was injected and not very accurate, but the decals and etched set, which inc,luded the nose gear doors, would be very useful, if the price was reasonable. (I got mine for $2 at a vendors table  a long time ago!) Good luck on yours!

Mike

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Recently, I came across a conversion set for the Revell 262A kit from Mulberry Scale kits (Mulberry states that their set can be used with other 262 kits, but they recommend the Revell kit).  It offers more detail than the Schatton Modellbau set, BUT, the metal gun from Schatton is still well worth getting and using with the set from Mulberry:

spacer.png

Mulberry produces a recon conversion set for the 262 as well.  On their Facebook page, they have listed some upcoming sets for this year.  Fans of the Revell Ju.88 kit will be happy to see a Mistel conversion, a Ju.88G as well as a Ju.388 conversion.  Lots of goodies coming this year!

Edited by Wm Blecky
typo
  • Like 1

Hi Pat, they sell on eBay, but you can also contact them via their farcebook page, here.

Their email is: [email protected]

I suggest looking over their facebook page to get an idea of what they currently offer and what is to come.  The shipping is a touch expensive (at least to Canada and the U.S.), but having already purchased several of their sets, they are well worth it.

Edited by Wm Blecky
typo
  • Thanks 1