Belcher Bits' Trident II D5 SLBM

Good Morning.

It's the weekend of the great british birdwatch, as many of you will know. There is a cat, whom I particularly dislike, sitting under my bird feeders....so, I thought I'd post this.

I didn't really mean to start another build until I've progressed Scarborough 1914 AD a bit further. However, the other day I was working from home and the software supplied is so slow to load each event that, between events, I sort of accidentally started this:

220127a Belcher Bits Trident D5

I've built a couple of these Belcher Bits missiles previously in group builds, both of which got finished, but without decals. One is currently in KUTA 2021.

220109a Various incomplete blitzbuilds_225424

The two missiles on the left are the Belcher Bits Polaris A1 and Polaris A3, and the plan has been for a Trident II to fill the other half of the base. The Trident is a lot bigger than the Polaris.

These kits are pretty nice but they all seem to suffer from a problem in resin casting in getting the cylindrical bits of the missile to match up. So, they need a bit of sanding:

220127b poor fit 220127c fit improved

It's also a bit of a job to get them straight. I've tried to get a hole truly centred in the lowest part of the body of the missile with a compass cut disc which serves to mark the centre of the body parts.

220127d Centring hole for stand

I then really carefully drilled a hole with twist drills in a finger vice. This worked pretty well but only went up to 2mm diameter and a 2mm rod, for the base, is too wobbly. I've resorted to this:

220128b 3mm bit in mini-drill

being a 3mm bit in a mini-drill. Thankfully this followed the hole made with the twist drills pretty faithfully:

220129a 3mm rod in place

Then the sticking of the rod to the base:

220129b Glueing rod to base 1

Then taped to the set-square to let me flood the joint with glue from below.

220129c Glueing rod to base 2

The perspex rod it entirely impervious to Tamiya liquid glue, but this EMA stuff sticks the perspex rod to the polystyrene base really well.

So far:

220130a Bits on base with others

I know, I know! It has an unfortunate appearance currently. This is causing considerable hilarity at Schloß Tura. The dread Mrs.Tura says, "you're not putting that on the mantlepiece....does it take AA or AAA batteries....&c. &c." I'm hoping that paint and decals might render it less alarming.

Thanks for looking,

Alan 

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

Good start there Alan. Glad to see you didn't waste your free time waiting for that computer to do its thing :)

Also have to say Mrs. Tura has beat us to the punch-lines and quips already :lol:

Edited by Col.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

It's the weekend of the great british birdwatch, as many of you will know. There is a cat, whom I particularly dislike, sitting under my bird feeders....so, I thought I'd post this.

I did that this morning too.  For the first half hour I saw more cats than birds (probably cause and effect)!

Cheers

• Like 1

There's definitely a bit of an "Ann Summers" vibe about its current appearance (pun absolutely intended), but it’s an interesting choice of subject.

As for the bird watching, our moggies are experts at it. As house cats, all three of them spend hours watching the flying things outside 🤣

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am soooo tempted to say something!!!!!! :lipssealed:  Most of us have thought it, though I think Col has beaten us there! :D

Great choice for a build though, looks great........ 

May fat cat basically looks at the birds and goes :fuyou_2: I'm busy sleeping! It once caught a mouse, but I had to let the mouse go because it didn't know what to do with it! :rofl2:

• Haha 3

What nasty, dirty minds you all have. 

The join between second inter-stage and second stage was very uneven and has been levelled out with epoxy putty and clingfim:

220131a Filler betwwen second stage and warhead-REV

The worst thing so far has been hollowing out the rocket nozzle. This has been drilled, carved and eventually bashed:

220201a Drilling out nozzle 220201b Cutting out nozzle 220202c Cut out Nozzle

I didn't want to do this with a power tool, especially because of heat effects, but I have used the mini-drill to smooth it out. Here it is with the other bits:

220202d Smoothed out nozzle and bits

The second inter-sage and warhead/REV are a poor fit so I've re-etched that join and filled the joint of the parts which is the black line above the re-etched line. The black line on the first stage has also been filled. The filler has been thin cyanoacrylate with zip-kicker. Now it's ready for paint:

220202e Ready to paint

See you later,

Alan

Edited by Angus Tura
wrong photo, words, spelling &c.
  • Like 9

44 minutes ago, Angus Tura said:

What nasty, dirty minds you all have. 

Great minds think alike. As do dirty ones :D

Good work there Alan. Having to excavate that rocket nozzle looks like a lot of careful effort.

Good to see another missile in the GB. I see you have the same 'non round ' issues I have. It might be worth investing in a lathe if you are plnning to do more of these..