Pigeons as passengers

I'm gonna give it a go to convert MiniArt's B-type Military Omnibus (https://miniart-models.com/product/39001-b-type-military-omnibus/) into something like this: https://lanmiblog.wordpress.com/2018/11/05/wwi-b-type-bus/.  I've built the civilian version some time ago, and it was a pleasure to build.

I've started on the pigeon loft. Strip plastic and a drawing from a 1/72 scale model blown up to 1/35 is all you need, really.

Surgery has started:

y4m3w0JamUDbnL4bJ6Li7jNgP6uafTSZyKVlTo3A

y4msI0KQp21-ziZ399sa2fRlGGfO4dI_8RZ9BKbN

y4mB_3qkYHIDhJ-kQVyW6N1mlF4TzVhTeU7FyYGp

y4mm_nVwbkQIj0Rc7kU-dkHlE5Gnoc20SNytB9o7

I want to use as much of the original plastic as possible to make the fit better when I put the four walls together.

y4mAhTMkfXA1qjOtz0JaZgfn7x70CWic-Mu8_Mka

I tried two different types of latches for the door in the back, and eventually decided to use the one on the right.

y4mGddz_ZwKsSLTZbbpH0HL3bc2hQ22xEAqrzqajy4mHIc2keg69_qU9CTflkPFmKqp8tNSOlzxg4XvH

And all put together.

y4mdMdBvDntkmIWy6JQ4-mZ4BhMlO_AfQqghVEcA

y4m_ohJs_1Ur6CAXcWakYqLqzPu0F1mQXQlMb_VJ

And with a roof made of thick paper.

y4mGXPts1QqXIfNgPHoRodYyk_wUHUmnnqbws6bo

The parts that will make up the pigeon lofts.

y4mX1CtYKmbHohcsj1AHykbignyb2cPDAOHYxrDq

y4mqo5BI31oMAfkBzxMoGqTRVSm164_Zk9dcgvY_

And ready for the paint booth.

y4mIO4wHEIo33-lDbRj_TJvY6Oklar0PMPZ7aEwsy4mNbpytmkox3rQKbBIHWnpxvSICccz6GdGRDFF8y4mu6BKrRAvMroQS7lDzotoEvI5rjc3wC5HrfGj9

To be continued ... (I won't post more than a few pictures of the regular build, but concentrate on the pigeon loft.

/Torbjörn

• Like 16

Great start, I shall watch your progress with interest.

I also built the 'battle bus' and toyed with the idea of doing the pigeon loft conversion but when Miniart released the pigeon set I thought the.loft was bound to follow.

Wayne.

2 hours ago, Mousemuffins said:

I'm glad you're doing this.  Because as soon as you are about 85% done, Mini-art will release one and we can all have a go.

Awesome job so far!

Yeah, they probably will now they have released their pigeons as well. But I'm enjoying myself, and that's reason I'm in this hobby.

/T

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diablo rsv said:

Great start, I shall watch your progress with interest.

I also built the 'battle bus' and toyed with the idea of doing the pigeon loft conversion but when Miniart released the pigeon set I thought the.loft was bound to follow.

Wayne.

As sure to come as a ... homing pigeon, perhaps.

/T

• Like 1

From the paint booth. Tamiya Deck tan as a foundation for the oil paints to come.

y4mIIbWlEGN-EwduWjW6ZP01Fv97G1m-FqIZXIKW

y4m4Ew30IysorICAozJf6tF-MZHXMKuC-d9tK_zQ

And then some oils; raw sienna and burnt umber. A stiff brush to create streaking resembling wood grain.

y4m_DShKqcZghPiv_2fmMlKt_M27dTD5AwXf3nLf

y4mDwrD5h1Nt_32fKucYjIl1tkzVDacUyhwMaket

y4maPylujO8A7FemugmRkds7FDSaqC87LCuXW6Goy4mR3dfKovOGwrNhU7bk_O6Wo9PJqwmXgU1e89z1

To get the correct curvature on the roof I cut out arcs in plastic and glued to the short ends.

y4mtxrF2rrAddhkdNBo_iPn28Mo-aEINnfOnHp3_

I also glued supporting beams on the sides. The roof itself is made of thick paper.

y4mKwrw6TMz7uclR6j03-hH0kZXvyipq59Cha8fA

I've begun working on the chassis, it's practically finished. I'll keep the bonnet (hood) closed, so I didn't put much effort on the engine. Some weathering will be next. I primed with a rust coloured primer, then a coat of chipping medium before a coat of Tamiya Khaki. I wanted just light chipping, it's hardly noticeable.

y4mN3RpmgFOd2fswD_sEviojpHxUDgm6VuJBw4ZY

y4mIut0GdedhWpHMVPmpO55EpJfAy2eyhDDiHv--

y4m2xedAvs5fL44_r9Bh_H4h4VINKs0U_HJdoex6

y4m1oqRsG7wJecdR1xMSHggE0PrA-NP4xT8qwFBa

Til next time ...

/Torbjörn

• Like 12

Fantastic work, I am also planning to make a pigeon bus. Studying the original photos, I see that the vase of the pigeon house was camouflage, not left in the color of raw wood.
https://scrapironflotilla.tumblr.com/post/95370084981/a-former-london-double-decker-bus-b2125

Edited by Varjubacsi
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Varjubacsi said:

Fantastic work, I am also planning to make a pigeon bus. Studying the original photos, I see that the vase of the pigeon house was camouflage, not left in the color of raw wood.
https://scrapironflotilla.tumblr.com/post/95370084981/a-former-london-double-decker-bus-b2125

Thanks for the link! I will keep the raw wood anyway, I like the color of wood and the contrast it makes to the camouflage.

/Torbjörn  

A quick update. I've painted the camo and put on some decals. A filter (tan I think) will follow. The net is the best I could find that's roughly in scale. It's cut from a mosquito net, so now I have 10 meters of the stuff, minus a small portion of about 15x30 centimeters. And no mosquitos here in the city center. Well, well, the sacrifices you have to make for the sake of art.

y4mrgrVlm1VcLem9yoBxU1DC-JiuCK8ZNlcxXnNHy4mwnInzgO1NzEJLPWoNOYA1EWcGYApAdBKRfonny4mxH_HGwxdANPNe9HPyPvizwV8ZGQYS3ThBmOeF

y4mkILyMOJsXelERPOQALpA1IaFw7QonNkc0xrFV

y4mF_2ZYXgnZU-9tu_3sp-JteuzYv9Ek4BrBwnS5y4mbYHHllwYCXO93YNhAmXyj6U9iEa-nCsgxeoq2

Take care!

/Torbjörn

• Like 9

Nice job so far. That netting looks pretty good to me. I'm in the market myself for some netting. There are PE sets which are thinner but the panels are quit small. Other alternatives may be Tulle perhaps lace. I'm still researching it. You could always raid your better half's knicker draw as I did recently 😁

Andrew 

12 minutes ago, APA said:

Nice job so far. That netting looks pretty good to me. I'm in the market myself for some netting. There are PE sets which are thinner but the panels are quit small. Other alternatives may be Tulle perhaps lace. I'm still researching it. You could always raid your better half's knicker draw as I did recently 😁

Andrew 

She wouldn't like that! I got some PE sets over the internet, but as you say, the panels are too small.

Torbjörn 

Wow! This is a very exciting project. A great tribute to these indispensable messengers braving often perilous circumstances. (You've pushed the buttons of a dedicated Birdo here.) Very nice work this far. Can't wait to see the 1:35 pigeons populate their mobile loft (if you intend going that far).

Edited postscript: Good grief! I just consulted the web and sure enough, MiniArt have a box of pigeons in 1:35. Now I'm going to have to get myself a flock... just for painting practice of course 😉

• Like 1