Air Finland Boeing 757 in 1/144

The maiden flight of the narrow-body Boeing 757 took place in 1982 and the plan of Boeing was to introduce a replacement to the already ageing Boeing 727. The production of the 757 ended in 2004 and a total of 1,050 aircraft were manufactured during those years. The most common sub-type was the 757-200 which could accommodate a maximum of 235 passengers.

Air Finland was a charter airline founded in 2002. During their ten years of operation the company operated five Boeing 757-200’s to fly Finnish holiday makers to the southern sun. Air Finland's operations went belly up in June 2012, mainly due to higher fuel prices and market overcapacity. Boeing 757’s were also used by Finnair and the largest users of the 757 were Delta, United and American Airlines.

I ordered the Nazca Decals sheet for Air Finland's earlier livery Boeing 757. There’s a Minicraft 757 kit but it’s got so negative comments in model reviews that it wasn’t an option. I chose instead the Russian manufacturer PAS-model’s 1/144 scale resin kit, which had the Rolls Royce engines used in Air Finland's 757’fleet.

The kit was mostly ok, although there was quite a lot of flash to be cleaned up. Some sanding and putty was needed but as a whole assembling the model was relatively easy. I also scratched a lot of details into the model, e.g. air beacon lights,, pitot tubes, antennas, etc. The cockpit and cabin windows are from Authentic Airliner decals and the corogards from Flying Colors.

I painted the body of the model with white Tamiya Fine surface primer, which I then sealed with Tamiya’s gloss varnish spray, TS-13. The gray areas of the wings I painted with Xtracolor X150 ,Canadian Voodoo grey and the blue areas of the engines by mixing Vallejo medium blue and Andrea blue. I also used other Humbrol and Vallejo paints for smaller details.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Einar
Mistake of manufacturer
  • Like 28

7 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

That's beautiful Einar. An interesting and unusual livery.

I could be wrong but I thought the kit was by PAS Models not Rus Air. I have an unbuilt example in my stash.

Dave G

7 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

That's beautiful Einar. An interesting and unusual livery.

I could be wrong but I thought the kit was by PAS Models not Rus Air. I have an unbuilt example in my stash.

Dave G

Thanks Dave!

You're quite right! The kit is of course by Pas Models👍 What a brain fart from me! I'll correct the mistake immediately

Cheers,

Einar 

Very nice clean model Einar.

2 hours ago, Einar said:

The most common sub-type was the 757-200, an extended version of the shorter 100-series.

Technically accurate but slightly misleading - the 100 series was never built, making the most common subtype the 200 series, the shorter version of the later extended 300 series. 

Zvezda are re-issuing the kit with the longer -300 series fuselage later this year.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Very nice clean model Einar.

Technically accurate but slightly misleading - the 100 series was never built, making the most common subtype the 200 series, the shorter version of the later extended 300 series. 

Zvezda are re-issuing the kit with the longer -300 series fuselage later this year.

Thanks Dave,

I have to correct the misinformation!

Cheers 

Einar

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Viking said:

That really captures the look of the 757 to perfection! Beautifully done, I really like the finish you get on your models Einar.

Cheers

John

Thanks a lot John!

Einar 

A superb 757 with arather nice livery.

I heard of the Pas models 757 but never saw one built.Looks spot on and captures the elegant lines of the 757 very well.

Thanks for sharing another winner from your collection.

Alex

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Alex1978 said:

A superb 757 with arather nice livery.

I heard of the Pas models 757 but never saw one built.Looks spot on and captures the elegant lines of the 757 very well.

Thanks for sharing another winner from your collection.

Alex

Thank you very much for your positive comments Alex!

Cheers,

Einar

Just now, woody37 said:

Beautiful 757, the scheme and the additional stencil decals have really added to what looks to be an excellent kit, lovely finish :)

Thank you Woody!

Cheers,

Einar 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Beautifully done again. And nice part of Finland's civil aviation. 757 was never too common in Finland. I think Finnair used these mostly for charter flights, not for regular routes. 

Thank you / kiitos Vesa!

Einar

That's a great result Einar.  The 757 is in my opinion, one of the best looking narrow body airliners built by anyone, and your model certainly captures the aircraft's good looks.

Lovely finish throughout.

Chris.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rupert said:

I  think that beautiful cannot be overused in reacting to this model. Beautifully built and such a smart livery to show it off.

Vincent

Thank you Vincent!

Einar 

5 hours ago, stringbag said:

That's a great result Einar.  The 757 is in my opinion, one of the best looking narrow body airliners built by anyone, and your model certainly captures the aircraft's good looks.

Lovely finish throughout.

Chris.

Thank you Chris!

Einar 

7 hours ago, Andy Young said:

Another nice airliner Einar - lovely scheme - well done! Täydellinen

Cheers, Andy

Thank you / kiitos Andy!

Cheers,

Einar 

9 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Einar, I'm running out of things to say about your perfect airliners. They are perfect!

Thank you very much for your positive comments!🙏

Cheers 

Einar

42 minutes ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

Nice build. 

quite like that scheme. Saw that surfactant at Manchester in 2009. 

Airfinland757-2K2-OH-AFI

Thank you very much Ryan!

Cheers

Einar