Brush cover

Ekire

Good day everyone,

This topic didnt seem to fit anywhere else, so pardon if i got the wrong area.

Some of the paint brushes i got came with small, clear covers.

I am unsure if the intent is to cover the brushes when not in use.  I have been doing so, but unless the cover goes on perfectly, it tends to bend some bristles and i am leaning more towards not using the covers.

Any experience, info or guidance that anyone has?

Cheers.

Yes indeed, that's what they're for.  If you lick the brush before you slide it in, the bristles should all hold together and not foul the tube.  Any that do stick out are probably past saving anyway and you can nip them off with a knife.  On the whole, I find that risk much more bearable than all the other things that can happen to a brush if you don't protect it.

They are packing covers. For sable, you should be leaving a little residue of clean brush soap; once you have done that, point it by stroking it flat on a cloth or towel (easier and gentler than trying to pinch it), let the brush dry fully while flat or on a drying rack, then store it carefully. If your brush storage is crowded, you may feel the need to cover it with a packing cover, but don't do so before it's fully dry. I don't know any artist who routinely covers sables if they are being stored carefully in a brush holder, pot, or hard case; so neither do I. A soft case would be a different matter. If you ever need more packing covers, they can be bought from any art supplies shop.

Those tubes are to protect the bristles in transit when they still have the gum to hold the bristles together. Trying to put them back on after you start using the brush is not recommended. You bend back hairs and prevent drying leading to mould growth if you do.

I used to wonder about this but I started using Rosemary and co brushes recently and they/she make this very clear in their catalogue.