Israeli Improvised Armoured Car, Type 1.

This is the second Israeli Improvised Armoured Car that I've built, the previous one being a Type 4. This one required a bit more scratch building, but was just as enjoyable as the first one. I'm going to give them a rest for a while until the Armoured Car GB next October, and then it'll probably be based on a different vehicle.

Meanwhile, if anyone is interested in the build, it can be found here;

oihnSDt.jpg

MoKo6n1.jpg

ybUGl0u.jpg

wnfAKzy.jpg

CMJ28jt.jpg

QXEs8cQ.jpg

lT9f25T.jpg

UB6gx60.jpg

RT6JexU.jpg

i8XKHR3.jpg

ZCBqELR.jpg

And this is the Type 1 and Type 4 for comparison;

MXBh8fv.jpg

Type 1.

v2lnVj3.jpg

Type 4.

That's it for armoured cars until the GB in the Autumn. Thanks for looking and for any comments.

John.

• Like 52
  • Thanks 1

Lovely work John, I've watched this being built from the very beginning and the way you have done the scratch building has been superb. Lots of really nice detail to see as well. Excellent work, another winner, well done...👍

Ed

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Lovely work John, I've watched this being built from the very beginning and the way you have done the scratch building has been superb. Lots of really nice detail to see as well. Excellent work, another winner, well done...👍

I'll second the above, this is top-notch work!

Vytautas

• Thanks 1

Great to see this one finished off. Superb model but knowing so much is scratchbuilt takes to another level.

Lots of lovely details and I especially like the netting 👏

(is the crosshair sight on the lower main machine gun slightly bent backwards in some of the photos?)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi John,

Great conversion of the vehicle, your ability with the scratch is noticeable.
I really like the added equipment and tools, and wheels, all on a simple but effective basis.
Both very nice.👍

Cheers and TC,

Francis.

Thanks Francis. I borrowed the base from my Tiran 5, because I hadn't got around to making one for this model. It's on the to do list.

John.

10 hours ago, StuartH said:

is the crosshair sight on the lower main machine gun slightly bent backwards in some of the photos?)

Opp! Yes, You're right Stuart. If memory serves me correctly, it was pointed out to me once before, and I've straightened it. It won't take a lot more movement, otherwise it'll come off completely!!.

Thanks for the comments.

John.

15 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Ed

12 hours ago, vytautas said:

I'll second the above, this is top-notch work!

Vytautas

26 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Great build and paint John. A very impressive vehicle. Well done.👏👏👏

Thanks a lot for taking the time to comment. It's much appreciated.

John.

Firstly, I’m sorry I haven’t been able to keep up with the WIP, but now it’s done I’ll try and find time to read it through in one go. What I see here tells me it will be an interesting read.

The first thing that struck me was the clever painting, lots of blends and blurs so that the large flat areas are filled with interest. A straightforward monotone finish would have been very boring.

Next to catch my eye was the stowage. Especially the large roll of canvas(?) with the two leather straps. Leather is hard to get right but this is spot on. I can’t quite see how the roll is fastened to the vehicle. I assume that there are ropes under the cam net but not being able to see them gives me the impression that the roll is just lying there unsecured. And what’s holding the cam net in place?

I think the wheels and tyres are great. The unusually coloured dust looks good against the hull. Was that pigments? I’ll have to read that WIP!

Another reason to read it is that I am having a lot of difficulty deciding which parts are kit and which are scratch. Take that as a compliment to your building. It’s strange looking thing isn’t it? I think it’s very redolent of the early years of Israel; bodged together but tough as nails! The stretcher is a great touch too. A poignant reminder of the realities of conflict perhaps.

May I make a suggestion? Though the car is dirty, and the finish looks old and faded, there’s not a mark of wear on it. No scratches or chipped paint. It looks a little too well looked after, to my eye. Do the shutters on the windows slide? If so, that would perhaps be a good place to start with some horizontal scratching of the paint to indicate their movement. Another might be around those heavy sand channels which may have chipped the paint when they were loaded and unloaded.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Next to catch my eye was the stowage.

OK, first up, the canvas roll on the back. I didn't tie it down because it's wedged in behind the two aerials, so not likely to move.

The camnet isn't fixed anywhere. Looking at the photos which I have of these vehicles carrying the nets, they don't appear to be fixed at all, just draped around the edge of the roof. It was probably so they could be deployed quickly. Those nets were blo very heavy and not prone to movement.

Believe it or not, there are some scratches on the model, but they didn't get a great deal of wear and tear, mainly due to the fact that they weren't in service for very long, a couple of years at most.

6 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It’s strange looking thing isn’t it? I think it’s very redolent of the early years of Israel;

Oh, you have no idea!! The MouseHouse book on the Israeli A/C's shows that they built them on whatever was available, CMPs, Weapons Carriers, even two and a half tonners.

Hope that answers your questions.

John.

• Thanks 1

On 30/01/2022 at 11:22, Model Mate said:

Great to see this polished off John - brilliant final result!

22 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Great turn out

Rob

21 hours ago, Courageous said:

Nice to see this in the RFI. Lovely job. 

Stuart

Thanks to each of you for the comments. Much obliged. 

John.

14 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Super job!

Another cracking and unique build. Some lovely detail touches that really brings it to life. :thumbsup:

Atb

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl. Your comments, as always, are much appreciated.

John.

16 hours ago, Hewy said:

A good looking  armoured  car john ,impressively  built and finished, 👍

15 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Ay up John,

Brilliant job and a very informative build thread as always👍

Regards,

Steve

14 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Lovely work John,

You would never know this was a scratch built conversion.

Wayne

My thanks to all three of you for the comments. It's what keeps me going.

John.

• Like 1