Zvezda A320 Neo TAP Air Portugal 1/144

Hi everybody,

just finished this Zvezda A320 neo in TAP colours. Overall a simple livery, but I personally really like it and have a special connection to Portugal where I am at least once a year and flew TAP a couple of times.

It could have been my fastest build ever, as the Zvezda kit is really neat and easy to build and clearly better than the Revell, which one can make look nice as well, but it will be definitely more effort of sanding and filling, which is certainly my least favourite part. The only question I cannot answer, is why it has zero details on the outside and then antennas that come with it have an odd shape. So I built my own details for the fuselage and used some antennas from other models.

So why didn’t I finish it earlier? Because of the decals. A never ending story. First I bought decals from PAS, but when I received them I immediately realized that the colours are odd, nowhere where they would need to be. I looked for alternatives and went for the Nazca ones (yeah next mistake there). They were certainly not accurate colour-wise, but looked close enough to be used, but when I applied them I found out that the titles were just too small and looked odd. Certainly the last time I bought Nazca decals, as they are just full of faults.
Okay new set needed so I went for the 8adecs from Mexico (there’s also a nice 26decals set, but it is the old version without the AIR). Well the shipment made all the way from Mexico to Frankfurt Airport but got lost by German Post on the short way from the Airport to my home. Jon from 8a decs was so kind and sent me a replacement. So 4 weeks later it made it but the decal was damaged once it arrived. So I reached out to Jon, wjho really cared and sent me yet another set that arrived just 3 days a go..and finally with the 5th decal set (!!) I could finish the plane just yesterday.

The 8a decals are great…and yeah with that story I will certainly order again from him. A nice guy that cares..we all know that that’s not always the case.

Detail are from a Revell sheet I have as spare and the cockpit windows from Authentic Airliners, as usual.

Otherwise the plane is painted with Tamiya and Mr. Hobby colours.

Now enjoy the photos, I appreciate any feedback / comment.

Julien

bm1bcjhg.jpg

bm2vlkvv.jpg

bm3kvkak.jpg

bm4zcjb2.jpg

bm5q9jgz.jpg

bm6itjd0.jpg

bm7u4k15.jpg

Edited by JK_Models
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Lovely! I like the livery and your build is great and inspiring.

My last 10+ flights (before the pandemic) were all to and from Lisbon (my birthplace) and all with TAP and although civilian aviation is not really my thing, I wouldn't mind having a kit in this livery. Painting the white puts me off as I can't really use an airbrush in my small apartment (at the moment) so I would have to do it by brush!

Thanks for sharing!

Miguel

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Viking said:

Well that seemed to be a real struggle with decals, well worth thee trouble though, she is a real little beauty!

Cheers

John

Thanks, I thought about giving up at once and just make something else out of it, but then I really wanted that TAP...

Very nice indeed Julien.  It's great that you overcame the decal problems to produce such an attractive model.

When Nazca decals are accurate they are fine but my experience is similar to yours - too many stupid, avoidable faults which can make them unusable. Glad you got such good service from Jon Ochoa. I have always found him excellent to deal with.

Dave G

• Thanks 1

Have to agree with everyone, this is really nicely finished. Also agree with @Bertie Psmith, the closed windows look great, I like the hints of details behind the open ones as well, and the pilots 😃

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...