Bertie Figures It Out - Project abandoned, photos lost.

Hey Bertie. I like your snow idea. Maybe he was injured their’d be a few drips of blood on the snow! 

(my posts keep disappearing at the mo. I hadn’t realised until you messaged me. Not sure why it does that, as says posted at the time but then doesn’t post.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Muchmirth said:

Hey Bertie. I like your snow idea. Maybe he was injured their’d be a few drips of blood on the snow! 

(my posts keep disappearing at the mo. I hadn’t realised until you messaged me. Not sure why it does that, as says posted at the time but then doesn’t post.)

Hmmm injuries...

I thought the posting problem was my end. I even cleared my cookies etc. Then panic ensued when I couldn't find my book of passwords 😆

• Like 2

I've enjoyed two painting sessions since my last update, one of about three hours and today a five hour marathon which has left me with a very sore left hand and a smile on my face. I've just put twenty paints and six inks away, I used flow improver and acrylic medium. I used a well palette and a wet one, as well as several sheets of cardboard. Nine different paint brushes just got washed up. How can I tell you what I did? Even I don't really know. I do things and if they don't work I try something else. Repairing a mistake often reveals a new and maybe better result. It's all just making it up as I go and it's usually done in a mental state close to panic. I can't stop halfway through a wet blend to take a photo, can I? Figure painting is very time sensitive, the way I do it anyway. So that's why there aren't many figure WIPS, and why I'm not going to take this thread any further than this model. When Henri's done - so am I.

I did take a few photos after yesterdays session though which might interest you.

y4mfR75CHyCJfYui7bfbTRz9J8iPHUYYjrNrR3gF

I did the face first and wasn't happy with it. The eyes, deep set under the helmet peak were difficult to get at and that was where the moulds had suffered the most. I'll try to remember that next time I'm looking for figures. There are no bargains. The end of line castings aren't worth buying. Spend more on the beginning of the line and spend more happy time painting for a top line result.

y4mr-yL3mGOfvlgLts-qOUWaFQks7BRiBIQHOnDq

Ew! I added the scar under the right eye to hide a big crack in the face. 

And I took these as I was tidying up today.

y4mC02yAmHF7Y2OArINyo03pah32ty0mruJwZimk

If anyone wants to know which paints and brushes I used - the only answer I can give is combinations of these.

y4mEOQKBQ-3f4kC-20jOvWSV4FnooMdP2lAOKg5J

I haven't finished any of the figure yet. ALL of this is still in progress. I'm doing the base quite desaturated to make it distinct from the figure. It's frosty rather than snowy. Russian frost. The killing kind.

y4muI8Qrox0ML1tSi1b7I1GQ3eDOGaE-nVKqnYlS

Fortunately Henri has a great greatcoat.

y4m3YZuJyji0qaiGNTwjMxhOU9Co_JNq0QQUSKej

I'm getting there. I know there's a lot that needs refining. I may do these things or I may just learn from them. I was thinking as I painted that it might be useful for a modeller to think of every model as just another chance to practice. I'm doing that on my Beagle/Bagel build and it's made it quite stressless. Same with this figure. It's not destined for a competition, it's just fun to do it.

That's another reason to stop writing about it actually, I'm more relaxed when I keep my 'first drafts' to myself and just do a RFI at the end. I will soldier on (lol) though until Henri is all done and dusted ... with frost.

• Like 4

That’s a great approach (as in attitude … all being practice etc). I like the great greatcoat and the base especially. The flow improver I’ve just started using and find really really useful (didn’t think it would be that handy but does the trick for me as well.) I see you also use the make up brushes (handy for the dry brushing?)

Looking good Bertie, good luck with the rest of the figure. 
Paul

(hopefully this post actually comes up!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

That’s a great approach (as in attitude … all being practice etc). I like the great greatcoat and the base especially. The flow improver I’ve just started using and find really really useful (didn’t think it would be that handy but does the trick for me as well.) I see you also use the make up brushes (handy for the dry brushing?)

Looking good Bertie, good luck with the rest of the figure. 
Paul

(hopefully this post actually comes up!)

Yes I did use dry brush after failing to find either patience, skill or knowledge for glazing. 😉 As long as I want slowly and stroked downward, it worked reasonably well. I edge highlighted too. I'm afraid the coat got a bit too purplepink even for me but what's done ain't going to be done over! 

Xmas Blitz GB starts today so Henri will have to sit armlessly in the corner for a while. 

One thing worth mentioning is that my acrylic inks did not want to be applied over the spirit-based primer. They beaded up even with flow improver and a drop of alcohol.

I'm not sure if the problem was with the primer or possibly with silicon from the gloves that I've been wearing to keep my fingerprint grease off the figure.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Bertie McBoatface changed the title to Bertie Figures It Out - Project abandoned, photos lost.