Ear protection

APA

I hope the moderator does not object to a further point on the issue of service hearing loss. Claims for hearing loss caused by service before April 2005 can be submitted under the war pensions scheme run by Veterans UK for MOD. If you go to rnid.org.uk/information-and-support/benefits/war-pensions-scheme it gives you information on how to apply. Although it is called the war pensions scheme it is not limited to wartime service. There is now another scheme in operation but this covers the earlier period people are talking about here. Go through the official system if you consider making a claim. I can't comment on the likelihood of success.

Alasdair

Royal British Legion can help with a claim, I started the process back in 2001 and with their help got my War Pension.

My claim was for other injuries sustained in service but what was interesting is that when they checked my service start date they asked specifically if I was issued the SLR as a personal Weapon - the answer was yes so it was added to my claim and a further hearing test confirmed a degradation of hearing which was put down to inadequate hearing protection. 

It’s worth investigating if you are suffering, going through the RBL made it much easier to navigate the system and expedite a quick decision. 

Thanks for that piece of info Dan. I just might follow that up. And Fred, you described perfectly, how it sounds to me. Escaping gas. I would add one more bit to that. Escaping gas which pulsates in time with the beat of my heart.

John.

19 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Can I add to the woes?

Training in RAF, early 1970s. Working around Hercules and Whirlwind helicopters, both with engines going full tilt, and then the periods down the firing range with small arms - no ear protectors

Then, mid-1980s to 2007, motorsport photographer, around the tracks in the pits with engines screaming, never wore ear protectors except once

I, too rode a motorcycle, from 1972-ish to 2014, no ear plugs etc.

My tinn is like a gas leak or water from a tap, a soft hissing sound. Listening to certain music turned up to 11 over-rides it.

Doest thou know that alcohol and caffeine can aggravate the tinn? ie, make it louder

I have noticed that if I have a couple of alcoholic drinks,the next day the tinnitus is quite severe.In fact it reminds me of how I used to feel with the noise in my head when hungover,which was many moons ago,any more than 3 pints these days and I've had it.

Deviation from main topic; tinnitus - at certain times of the year, from about mid August through to November sea weed gives off an iodine laden gas. Breathing in this gas can relieve tinnitus. Its just that sea-weedy smell you get at the seaside

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Ireland had a similar issue. According to Wikipedia, "The army deafness claims were a series of personal injury claims taken from 1992 to 2002 against the Irish Department of Defence by members of the Irish Defence Forces for noise-induced hearing loss resulting from exposure to loud noise during military operations and training. The claims stated that the government had failed to provide adequate ear protectors during firing exercises, as was required under regulations dating back to the 1950s. About 16,500 claims were made, resulting in payouts totalling about €300m." [300 million euros]. 

Apparently the Department had previously estimated a possible bill for a billion euros, including legal costs. So maybe the government got off lightly. 😱

• Like 3

On 29/01/2022 at 10:22, APA said:

This could apply to any era. I have often wondered about ear protection particularly for artillery and morter crews but this would apply to tanks as well. Was there an official issue or order for ear protection? I've never seen any crews wearing anything. Maybe a cupping of the ears but not very often. Where they issued with cotton wool? 

I'm sure there would be both short term and long term consequences and having a deafened crew on the battle field is not the best for tactics etc. 

I'm intreaged. 

Andrew 

If you look at period paintings, and in fact old Hollywood movies depict some thing quite accurately; in the days of big sailing ships, eg of the Napoleonic Wars era, the gunners wore wet kerchiefs around their heads, pulled down over their ears. I tried this, wearing a wet bandana over my ears whilst standing right next to a 3lb black-powder gun when it was fired. The wet bandana lessened the noise considerably

• Like 2

I just found this thread. I joined the RAF in 1976 and, after training, went onto Helicopter servicing, then Heli ops. 

We had WW2 era Hydraulic rigs and old Houchins going in the Hangar. Also annual firing of the SLR and many exercises with blanks.

Various other aircraft types followed, though the ear defenders were getting a bit better by then.

I can't hear the words of other people at all if there is background noise. As mentioned above, I usually grin/nod & hope I've got it right.

The tinnitus isn't too bad, but I can hear it as I write this. Oh, it was some time before I realised I was lip reading!

I'll have a look at the RBL website. It won't fix my hearing, but may pay for a decent hearing aid.

My grandfather served with 58th (Duke of Wellington’s) Anti-Tank Regiment RA (TA), 0perating 57mm (6pdr) and 17pdr guns. He fought through North Africa and into Italy before being invalided with perforated eardrums. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/29/2022 at 10:22 AM, APA said:

This could apply to any era. I have often wondered about ear protection particularly for artillery and morter crews but this would apply to tanks as well. Was there an official issue or order for ear protection? I've never seen any crews wearing anything. Maybe a cupping of the ears but not very often. Where they issued with cotton wool? 

I'm sure there would be both short term and long term consequences and having a deafened crew on the battle field is not the best for tactics etc. 

I'm intreaged. 

Andrew 

I asked about this a few years back and as others have said it doesn't look like any protection was issued (although perhaps Naval gunners had ear protection along with their flash hoods).  I was prompted to ask as one of my uncles served on AA guns in WW2 London and my mum told me she had read letters to his wife about how much pain (enough to bring him to tears) he suffered from his ears at that time.  As long as I knew him he had to have a hearing aid and could hear sod all without it.