Hobby Boss 1/72 Tiger F-5E shelf of absolute doom plus a twist!

Hi fellow modellers

Today I present my Hobby Boss F-5E Tiger II

Not a bad kit but it did almost kill me 😲

For background I started the kit about 4 years ago.......

Did a bit (some bad cockpit paint, a few bibs and bobs, pre-painting plenty of parts, assembled pretty much the whole kit but not fiddly ordinance etc) and in the process managed to crack the forward canopy (yes I don't know how either)

So I tried to make a mold and "hot make" another canopy with some clear plastic (disaster)

Then while trying that I didn't just crack the canopy I completely smashed it

Off she went to languish on the shelf of doom

Then I decided well I've got a bit done I'll see if I can fashion another forward canopy with spare parts as best I could

Cut down something I had in the stash looked "okay" and thought if I model it with the main canopy in open position you won't notice the forward and main parts don't match.......well it's not "entirely" ludicrous 

So onward...redid the paint in the front office, worked on the canopy to do the best job I could, painted the 3 part camo (ouch that was hard), weathered her got it all done bar attaching the pylons, ordinance and landing gear flaps

Landing gear flaps....

Where did my 6 pieces of painted, prepped, glossed, weathered and matt coated rear landing gear flaps go?

Where are they...they must be here....bagged....in the box with the rest of the stuff.......

Aaaahhhh!!!!!!!  

So after battling everything and feeling like I had in a small way triumphed over the shelf of doom she came back and bit me hard on the rear!!!

Anyway I live on hope of finding the pieces somewhere in my modelling mess but until then I present the almost complete Hobby Boss F-5E Tiger!

On a serious note if anyone has the 6 pieces in their spare parts box and don't need them I'd be happy to pay a bit for them and for postage to Adelaide in Australia!

This one is for my Brazilian friend Paulo (aka Armoured Sprue) a very generous and amazing modeller

Here's the pics (one inside on the workbenck and the others in the Australian sun)

y4mj9Xo8rKMZAtqX08uHP6RXhGEuXvsxeBlVT5v_

y4mXAsmUFxr7a4qv3nL9hje0w0UjXJgU-crSQsQY

y4mI63r8ezCbYgR_5_iNkfyvaz1DzyR8SRm670bI

y4mfeAZykadxpLKSfs8_smdAFcahnjFKzd-_Cufo

y4mUuy6UHS7GW3EDWuh288I67SZhdim9z4jSPYLb

y4mZXAQXSdvhYY6d7Fej_wSfKSdXLaYx7exSk6xG

y4m3EOtQ28QpIcEU123XClB7XCOOmgSzxRW459J6

y4mXe2ga0ozRks1CdgIoNZwBFje8BitAAC2e67zr

y4mRz2D5vLs3eDBonXS-ClqZonksOrWjSpiVoWzl

Oh forgot to add....

I managed to completely break and repair the fuel refiller three times and the pitot tube twice on my modelling adventure

Hopefully the next one is easier....and quicker! 🤣 

Cheers

Nut

• Like 26

If it helps, not that you need it in the evidence before us, and it's a couple of years too late, but Rob Taurus do vac form canopies for the F-5e.

you might guess how I know that !

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Vultures1 said:

Yep, photos are working for me. Nice looking Tiger, despite all the troubles it gave you!

I think I might have those undercarriage parts in the spares box. I'll check and PM you

You're very kind thank you!

17 minutes ago, Whofan said:

If it helps, not that you need it in the evidence before us, and it's a couple of years too late, but Rob Taurus do vac form canopies for the F-5e.

you might guess how I know that !

I'll check that sort of thing next time for sure 😄

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

They're all working for me, just taking a long while to open. Are you sure that you have the correct size for them?

John.

I'll check on the size thing....didn't think about that issue

Thanks for the tip

Congratulations after your nervous breakdown and all the pain ,you have turned out a beautiful piece of work. We have all had trouble like yours i have lost count on the amount of parts the carpet monster has devoured, well done .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Looks great to me...  an epic save!  Glad you built out of the shelf of doom.

I certainly won't argue. I'm impressed!

• Like 1

Well, we are our own worst critics.

It looks really nice. From here, the canopy is grand - don't worry.

That you triumphed over adversity and still pulled off a decent model is an achievement in itself.

Great work.

• Like 1