Air Compressor Regulator Issue HELP

MattH912

Hello.

Im having issues with my air compressor, the compressor itself works fine and air builds in the tank perfectly fine, but when I got to raise the pressure on the knob on the regulator it doesn't increase, its also very loose and I can turn it both clockwise and counterclockwise without any resistance or any pressure building up. Its very odd as the knob is very very loose an it allow me to both tighten and loosen with huge amounts. Does anyone know if this is a common issue with air compressors or do I just need to replace it.

Link for to model of my compressor https://agtom.eu/en/compressors/307942-kompresor-tg-212k-do-aerografu-zbiornik-30l.html

Regards

IMG-0598.jpg

IMG-0599.jpg

IMG-0601.jpg

29 minutes ago, Dunderklumpen said:

I have the same type of regulator, and to adjust you have to lift up the "outer shell" to adjust. Just lift the black knob right up and I think you should be able to adjust it. 

I assumed that the knob was being pulled upwards and that was when no resistance was felt.

Didn't say it was new and also assumed it had worked properly in the past.

The knob on the top of the regulator shouldn't rotate freely without resistance as you describe.

As others have said, the knob should be pulled upwards to adjust the pressure, but you should feel spring resistance as you rotate it, and it should come to a stop at each end. I get 9.5 turns on mine, min - max pressure.

Pushing down on the knob after setting the pressure should lock it in position - ie it can no longer be rotated.

I suspect that the knob is no longer properly connected to the spring adjuster inside, it may be broken, or it may be that the knob securing screw has come loose.

To check, vent your tank so there's no pressure in it, then unscrew the red ring below the knob, this should enable the adjusting head to be removed from the top of the regulator. 

When lifting the top of take care not to disturb the diaphragm assembly sitting in the main housing.

Lift it off (there will be a heavy duty spring loose inside) turn it upside down and see if there is a screw in the centre - if this is loose hold the knob and tighten the screw up.

Try rotating the knob, see if it now comes up against a stop after a few turns - if so, success !

Sit the spring on top of the diaphragm, then carefully locate and screw the top back on after setting it to minimum pressure (fully anticlockwise)

Fire up the compressor and see if you can now adjust the pressure.

10 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

The knob on the top of the regulator shouldn't rotate freely without resistance as you describe.

As others have said, the knob should be pulled upwards to adjust the pressure, but you should feel spring resistance as you rotate it, and it should come to a stop at each end. I get 9.5 turns on mine, min - max pressure.

Pushing down on the knob after setting the pressure should lock it in position - ie it can no longer be rotated.

I suspect that the knob is no longer properly connected to the spring adjuster inside, it may be broken, or it may be that the knob securing screw has come loose.

To check, vent your tank so there's no pressure in it, then unscrew the red ring below the knob, this should enable the adjusting head to be removed from the top of the regulator. 

When lifting the top of take care not to disturb the diaphragm assembly sitting in the main housing.

Lift it off (there will be a heavy duty spring loose inside) turn it upside down and see if there is a screw in the centre - if this is loose hold the knob and tighten the screw up.

Try rotating the knob, see if it now comes up against a stop after a few turns - if so, success !

Sit the spring on top of the diaphragm, then carefully locate and screw the top back on after setting it to minimum pressure (fully anticlockwise)

Fire up the compressor and see if you can now adjust the pressure.

I have removed the red ring from the outside of the regulator knob, but the knob doesn't want to come off, do I lift it off with a force or turn it a certain direction until its loose

IMG-0602.jpg

A

17 minutes ago, MattH912 said:

I have removed the red ring from the outside of the regulator knob, but the knob doesn't want to come off, do I lift it off with a force or turn it a certain direction until its loose

No, don't force it. Does the knob lock if pushed down? If it does, push it down and unscrew the knob anti clockwise, this should unscrew the whole of the top from the main body housing.

The red ring is a separate piece for mounting the regulator on a back plate, slightly different design to mine.

11 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

A

No, don't force it. Does the knob lock if pushed down? If it does, push it down and unscrew the knob anti clockwise, this should unscrew the whole of the top from the main body housing.

The red ring is a separate piece for mounting the regulator on a back plate, slightly different design to mine.

Yeah the knob lock pushes down, I push the ring lock down with the ring attached and doesn't make any difference, the ring just comes off loosely, very strange.

20 minutes ago, MattH912 said:

Yeah the knob lock pushes down, I push the ring lock down with the ring attached and doesn't make any difference, the ring just comes off loosely, very strange.

Push the knob down to lock it, then turn the knob to unscrew the whole top housing - the red ring is irrelevant.

31 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Push the knob down to lock it, then turn the knob to unscrew the whole top housing - the red ring is irrelevant.

Yes I understand. Its just the knob is so dam tight I can't seem to get it to loosen up. Ill keep trying however