F/A-18F VF-103 Jolly Rogers

Now I see a problem.   The colours used for the decals are very close indeed to the camouflage colours.   I know it's supposed to be low visibility and low contrast but...

See what you think about the markings on the tail.

The uppersurface national insignia was totally indistinguishable from the upper wing colour, so I relocated it to the fuselage and replaced the insignia with a much darker iten from the spares box.

spacer.png

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Now I see a problem.   The colours used for the decals are very close indeed to the camouflage colours. 

I had this exact problem with the Revell kit. You have no idea what colour the decals are 'supposed' to be, and they look slightly different when applied to how they look on the sheet. Why can't we standardise, people?!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Alan P said:

You have no idea what colour the decals are 'supposed' to be, and they looks slightly different when applied to how they look on the sheet.

ohhhhh...  don't get me started!!!  :fraidnot:

Thankfully it only seems to be a problem for naval aircraft in the TPS scheme.  USAF F-15s won't be a problem as their national insignia and markings are usually in black.

• Like 1

I've given up!!!  :shrug:

I persevered for a while with the decals but they simply didn't look right.  :fraidnot:  So I have fallen back on the kit decals.   The second option in the kit has the black tails and trim but a more muted squadron insignia.  No yellow flashes.   I have gone for that.  At least we'll be able to see the insignia.

spacer.png

I am still on a quest to build a model in the TPS scheme with no hi-vis markings.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more masking and spraying around the cockpit area...

spacer.png

And then is was back to applying the decals - for the second time.  :shrug: 

spacer.png

Despite my disappointment about the way things turned out with Plan A, I rather like how Plan B looks. 

A bit of work on the undercarriage.

spacer.png

And the jet is up and running. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...