Tamiya 2022 Nuremberg New Items

IT_Man

I don't think it's so much the "Japanese Home Market" as pretty much everything scale modelling wise is a sideline to the R/C business. On the up side, that means that choice of subjects can be  quirky, because even amongst the scale models things like 1/48 armour are the bankers, so a world-leading 1/48 Phantom or F-14 are the "halo" products, equally so the Senna or FXX-K...

best,

M.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

I don't think it's so much the "Japanese Home Market" as pretty much everything scale modelling wise is a sideline to the R/C business. On the up side, that means that choice of subjects can be  quirky, because even amongst the scale models things like 1/48 armour are the bankers, so a world-leading 1/48 Phantom or F-14 are the "halo" products, equally so the Senna or FXX-K...

best,

M.

Tamiya do seem to concentrate on RC I agree, even I have an Tamiya RC 1/16 Tank and I'm not really an armour guy !!

12 hours ago, jpk said:

A F-4N would be basically a decal and box art change. Simple enough. I would love to see a F11F-1 or even a F2H-3/4 Banshee from Tamiya. I was surprised when they did the F4D Skyray.  

The ALQ-126 ECM fairings over the intakes aren't in the current B box and neither is a matching RSO instrument panel (ok, very early N's didn't have them but...)

As there are mounting pins already moulded on the intakes it will take just one small additional sprue plus as you say decals and instructions/boxart to make an N release.

I wouldn't bet money on it (we know about the sometimes unpredictable choices Tamiya makes) but I really wouldn't be surprised to see it this year.

As for an F-11 or F2H: no, I don't think so, way too "leftfield" for Tamiya I think (although I'd love to see a Big Banjo of course).

J

M3 half track and M7 105mm GMC. There has never been a kit of either in 1/48 and Hannants show none currently available in 1/35  The original M3 kit dates back to 1975 and the M7 is from 1984 so maybe those gaps point to new tools. They are the only real gaps left from the allied side in NWE 1944-45.

Andy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

The ALQ-126 ECM fairings over the intakes aren't in the current B box and neither is a matching RSO instrument panel (ok, very early N's didn't have them but...)

As there are mounting pins already moulded on the intakes it will take just one small additional sprue plus as you say decals and instructions/boxart to make an N release.

I wouldn't bet money on it (we know about the sometimes unpredictable choices Tamiya makes) but I really wouldn't be surprised to see it this year.

As for an F-11 or F2H: no, I don't think so, way too "leftfield" for Tamiya I think (although I'd love to see a Big Banjo of course).

J

Hi Jeffrey. As you said the ECM fairings would be easy enough added as a separate sprue. As for the IP in the rear cockpit, the only Phantom reference I have on the Phantom is the old D&S issue on the Navy/USMC versions so I'm ignorant as to what changes were made back there. I do have Tommy Thomason's excellent monograph on the early Phantoms but that is irrelevant. As for Tamiya doing a N, I think you're right. I wouldn't be surprised if they did do it but like you, I won't bet money on it. I know a Tiger or late Banshee is wishful thinking on my part but then again, the F4D-1 Skyray was one of those "outta left field" kits and really the F-4B was as well so you never know. They do play their cards close to their vest. 

On 1/29/2022 at 2:24 PM, IT_Man said:

Military vehicle wise, I could see a Crusader tank (they've only re-boxed Italeri and they have a Crusader in 1:48) M3 Half-Track (current kit is nearly 50 years old!) 

Definitely this. A 1/35 Crusader would complete the British desert armour 'big three' - I wish they'd re-do the Churchill too. 

11 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

...I wouldn't bet money on it (we know about the sometimes unpredictable choices Tamiya makes) but I really wouldn't be surprised to see it this year.

J

You were unimpressed by the KH offering too then.... I brought one but the box contained an eggplane instead :D

With the money spent on model kits during lock-down Tamiya will have the cash to do what they want to, this year will show where their interest lies. A 1/48 Centurion or M46/7/8 would give the T-55 something to go with but I think we may be due for a Korean Era aircraft from them.... Panther?

4 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I think we may be due for a Korean Era aircraft from them.... Panther?

The Panther sounds feasible, as does a new F-80 Shooting Star. I wouldn't disregard the possibility of an F2H-2 Banshee either or the F2H-2P. As was said earlier, they hold their cards close, so the whole bunch of us may be very greatly surprised.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 6:56 AM, Don149 said:

Please let it be the Mosquito with a new front end for a Bomber/PR mark . Long overdue ! 

Hear, hear! As long as Mr Tamiya fixes the fin and rudder of the old kit ...

And a 1:48 York ...

Is anyone betting on a 1/48th B-17😂

I’m just hoping for a re-release of their 1/12 scale Caterham series, maybe a new 1/6th scale bike (an Adventure bike to join the Africa Twin) and a 1/32 scale F-86.

Apart from that, whatever they release will be cool for me.

While we're in Wishlist Mode...

I'd love for Tamiya to keep expanding their 1/72 Warbird series, and in particular...

• Straight-wing two-seat Il-2;
  • Single-seat Il-2;
  • Continue the A6M line:
    • A6M2-N
    • A6M5c
    • A6M2-K;
  • Ki-43, starting with an -I if possible;
  • Ki-84 (although I can live with the Hasegawa kit, a modern-tooled one would be welcomed);
  • Yak-9; let's start with a D and then they can continue as they wish. (You're welcome, @John Thompson)

As long as is a Japanese or Soviet WWII subject, they can surprise me and it will be all good.

(What do you say? Not a chance in hell? Well... you're probably right, but a guy can dream, can't he...?)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2022 at 1:20 AM, jenko said:

Actually we are due for a new 1/32 release from Tamiya.

It's obviously going to be a 1/32 P-40E/Kittyhawk Mk.Ia. Has to be. Or else I wasted my wish on that shooting star the other night.

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tamiya for years have had great P47’s in the other scales, so 1/32 would be a really good seller and they already have the research….

Ray

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Todd Brown said:

1/72 P-38 maybe a safe bet since they have downscaled nearly all of their other new 1/48 kits to 72 recently.  Would be pleasantly surprised if a new 1/32 WWII subject reared its head though.   

Perhaps they may upscale their 1/48 P-38?

10 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Hear, hear! As long as Mr Tamiya fixes the fin and rudder of the old kit ...

And a 1:48 York ...

Hold that thought! I'm experimenting with the intention of building one as the next big project. Tamiya bits with a new fuselage basically so I expect an announcement in 2023... Offering a new release of this venerable kit as a Mk.II could be a smart move especially if the larger fins are added as a bonus for conversions from the original....

• Thanks 1

I have it on reliable authority it’s an early P-38 Lightning in 1/32. You can take that as gospel.    Will please lots of folk

Except me of course. I’ve just acquired everything I need to backdate Trumpeters P-38 J.  That’s how I know it’s gospel and 100% guaranteed that Tamiya will add one to the catalogue. 

• Haha 6