Latest Ship Purchase

I have just brought a 1/35 Masterpiece models resin PAC Vee hovercraft. I am toying with making it up as a SRN5 in either a UK Inter-service trials craft or perhaps as a civilian version. I need to arrange a visit to the Hovercraft Museum soon to have a close look at the one on display.

1 minute ago, S-boat 55 said:

Very nice, it's a big kit, I've got a later edition of it part complete someone gave me to finish,

Yes, I saw one built 20 years ago and have been half heartedly looking for one that I could afford ever since. Today I bought one that I probably shouldn't afford. 😁

I was pleased to get an original from when the moulds were new and though the box looks a bit tired, the bits are still bagged inside it. It's waaay out of my usual niches but perhaps that's not a bad thing. 

• Like 2

There's a hovercraft museum!

Suppose thinking about it...why not. There's a museum for virtually everything else.

Your right that is a BIG kit!

I built (badly considering what's available now in AM and reference) one in my early twenties to represent HMS Smilax my dad's first ship.

I had aspirations (don't worry I grew out of them) of modelling all sorts of 72 scale ships. Never happened in the end.

Bertie, you'll want to replace the railings if nothing else they scale up more like drainpipes.

Tom

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Modelholic said:

There's a hovercraft museum!

Suppose thinking about it...why not. There's a museum for virtually everything else.

Your right that is a BIG kit!

I built (badly considering what's available now in AM and reference) one in my early twenties to represent HMS Smilax my dad's first ship.

I had aspirations (don't worry I grew out of them) of modelling all sorts of 72 scale ships. Never happened in the end.

Bertie, you'll want to replace the railings if nothing else they scale up more like drainpipes.

Tom

Yes there is a museum - website - www.hovercraft-museum.org - It opens again in February.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

embed?resid=42848F2D6BD88EC4!12179&authk

This. :happy:

Bertie, There is a lot of enjoyment to be had from this. There are a number of colour schemes and you could modify it to suit a number of different ships. There are some nice shots of the only survivor (HMS Sackville) on the walkabout pages on this website. If I was building one again, I would buy the aftermarket hedgehog, depth charges (and frames) and the bridge guns. Be careful where the wooden decking should be removed as the kit has it everywhere. For its time the kit was really good and I don't think Matchbox got the credit they deserved for making it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Flintstone, I agree that there's 

12 hours ago, Flintstone said:

a lot of enjoyment to be had from this

though I'm not planning to invest in 

12 hours ago, Flintstone said:

aftermarket

but to build it as I would have in 1979, with plastic card, wire, adapted spares from other kits, brass bits and pieces, beer can sheets and so on and on and on. I think that's the only way to build HMS Dandylion with the required soul.

I'll probably buy the crew though. 😃

15 hours ago, Modelholic said:

BIG kit

I haven't laid eyes on one for decades but I calculate she should be just under a yard long when finished. She will be a great companion to a 1/72 ship of the line which I have under construction.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/01/2024 at 17:10, Bertie McBoatface said:

embed?resid=42848F2D6BD88EC4!12179&authk

This. :happy:

I have one of these sitting in the stash that I started building when I was given it for Christmas in about 1978.  After I left home to join the Navy it sat in the loft for over 40 years, unfortunately falling over on multiple occasions and dumping pieces all over the nasty fibreglass insulation that we had in the loft at the time, so I have no idea if all the bits are there.  I will finish it at some point, just not sure where to put it when I have done so.

If you're feeling really brave and fancy some heavy modification, this is without doubt the best rendition of this kit I have ever seen.  It used to often appear at model shows around the south of England but I haven't seen it for a few years.  I think these were taken at the Tank Museum show in Feb 2018:

53508133810_ebdab2871a_b.jpg

53508133800_7a5e63597b_b.jpg

Edited by Chewbacca

Gidday @Chewbacca, I wish you hadn't shown that cutaway model of HMCS Agassiz, I feel now I should have done the same with my Flower class too. Mind you, mine is just over four inches long so I probably wouldn't get quite the level of detail. 😁 But seriously, that's a beautiful model. I'd love to see it. Regards, Jeff.

Hi @Chewbacca, that is next level stuff there, serious research needed to even approximate all those internals, nevermind produce like them like that. Whoever built that was pretty hardcore. I'm happy if I get OOB looking decent.

On subject though, I've just received this in the post. HMS Vanguard is one off my most wanted list, so I found it hard to resist even though I was wary of the format.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MRMRL said:

On subject though, I've just received this in the post. HMS Vanguard is one off my most wanted list, so I found it hard to resist even though I was wary of the format.

Be very curious to hear what you think to the medium, she's on my list too but the price and it being a print have held me off hitting purchase so far, 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Be very curious to hear what you think to the medium, she's on my list too but the price and it being a print have held me off hitting purchase so far, 

It looks pretty good in the very nondescript box. At first glance I'd say the small parts and turrets look excellent, maybe even comparable to the micro master parts I acquired a while ago. The hull and main superstructure parts are a bit harder to judge, the white plastic/resin or whatever it is makes the detail difficult to make out, but I think it'll look decent when painted. The wooden deck wasn't expected so a nice bonus making it a "complete" kit. I don't especially like the hull being in two halves at the middle of the ship, I bet that's going to be tricky to hide, but for a new outfit, I'd say at first viewing it's decent value for money. It's a bit cheaper than a late very fire kit, albeit that's the top of the range. Interestingly I'm building USS Alabama at the moment, and those early trumpeter kits aren't far from the price if you add detail as well and it's hard to get them built to the same quality as a newer kit. I won't comment on historical accuracy, that's never been my forte.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, johndon said:

Whilst it is of the Soryu rather than the Vanguard there is a review of the Soryu (which uses the same 3D printed, resin, metal type parts selection) here: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=359495

I'd say that seems similar to Vanguard,  which is probably fair. I think a relatively experienced modeller will make either into a good end product. All of which means I have my eye on their HMS Illustrious 😉. When the pennies stack correctly of course.

On 2/4/2024 at 10:59 AM, MRMRL said:

Hi @Chewbacca, that is next level stuff there, serious research needed to even approximate all those internals, nevermind produce like them like that. Whoever built that was pretty hardcore. I'm happy if I get OOB looking decent.

Built by the Very talented and inspirational Barry Sharman.  He's done several other vessel in 1/72 and they are equally brilliant.  He's taken multiple Golds at Scale Model World.  He's a real gentleman and very modest.

17 hours ago, MRMRL said:

It looks pretty good in the very nondescript box. At first glance I'd say the small parts and turrets look excellent, maybe even comparable to the micro master parts I acquired a while ago. The hull and main superstructure parts are a bit harder to judge, the white plastic/resin or whatever it is makes the detail difficult to make out, but I think it'll look decent when painted. The wooden deck wasn't expected so a nice bonus making it a "complete" kit. I don't especially like the hull being in two halves at the middle of the ship, I bet that's going to be tricky to hide, but for a new outfit, I'd say at first viewing it's decent value for money. It's a bit cheaper than a late very fire kit, albeit that's the top of the range. Interestingly I'm building USS Alabama at the moment, and those early trumpeter kits aren't far from the price if you add detail as well and it's hard to get them built to the same quality as a newer kit. I won't comment on historical accuracy, that's never been my forte.

Fascinating - hope you Blog it - looking forwards to how it turns out.

Rob

• Like 2

2 hours ago, johndon said:

The 1/200 scale fleet got larger this morning with the delivery of this:

spacer.png

Now that looks interesting wonder if they would do some WW2 destroyers.  :pray:

beefy

7 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Now that looks interesting wonder if they would do some WW2 destroyers.  :pray:

beefy

There are rumours of a 1/200 Fletcher Class destroyer being done by Trumpeter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johndon said:

There are rumours of a 1/200 Fletcher Class destroyer being done by Trumpeter.

Better get my aftermarket budget prepared! :eat:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alan P said:

Better get my aftermarket budget prepared! :eat:

Having built one in 1/350 I could be tempted but perhaps I should finish the other 4 1/200 ships I have first 😃

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, johndon said:

Having built one in 1/350 I could be tempted but perhaps I should finish the other 4 1/200 ships I have first 

It would make a good complement to the 1/350 versions and the 1/144 Revell in size and complexity. I'd expect the Trumpeter 1/200 to feature more detail than the Revell kit, but the aftermarket opportunities for modelling different ships in the class and different timeframes would be too good to miss!

• Like 2