Latest Ship Purchase

Hi All, 

Not sure if this is the best place for this but Creative models appear to be having a clear out, their selling Hobbyboss' 1/350 Strasbourg for £33 Inc postage via eBay,  it's an absolute steal at that price, if I didn't already have the kit I'd of got one so thought id let you all know, 

(Even then I might get one to do as some kind of what if project if I can come up with one, 

For some reason I can't get a link to the item to copy but it should come up easy enough, 

Sam

• Like 2

12 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Hi All, 

Not sure if this is the best place for this but Creative models appear to be having a clear out, their selling Hobbyboss' 1/350 Strasbourg for £33 Inc postage via eBay,  it's an absolute steal at that price, if I didn't already have the kit I'd of got one so thought id let you all know, 

(Even then I might get one to do as some kind of what if project if I can come up with one, 

For some reason I can't get a link to the item to copy but it should come up easy enough, 

Sam

It's about the same on Amazon too. Down from £90 apparently. ( Also a Creative models outlet)

On 5/18/2023 at 9:18 AM, beefy66 said:

Better here than with the armour and aircraft buy's

So with me retiring a few weeks ago and having been given a very nice Tankard and some money from my ex work colleagues i have been making plans for a big build this winter always liked the pre-Dreadnought looking ships so got myself this and a few extras.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

Oh I have one of those. It's the only plastic kit I own at the moment. I bought it for when I fancy a temporary change from Bellerophon. I'm planning to detail it using old school methods as much as I can manage. Those huge sheets of PE don't appeal to me at all, I hate the stuff. The only after market I've bothered with is a reference book. 

Would you like to do a two man group build?

52 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Would you like to do a two man group build?

We could just not sure of the time scale as I have a lot on the go at the minute as I said no plans to start soon this would be a winter project maybe even the start of next year if that fits with you.  🤔

Stay Safe

beefy

1 minute ago, beefy66 said:

We could just not sure of the time scale as I have a lot on the go at the minute as I said no plans to start soon this would be a winter project maybe even the start of next year if that fits with you.  🤔

Stay Safe

beefy

Oh yes, I hope that I don't get fed up with Bellerophon before then!

I'll look out for you starting, or you can give me a warning in advance if you like when you are ready. No pressure. 🙂

It would be interesting for readers to see the ship done with and without PE, I think.

• Like 2

Thought I'd treat myself for being a good boy...

20230608-130148.jpg

HMS Renown was a beautiful find :tasty: and saves me a lot of work in scratching one. Now with Renowns from 1916, 1942 and 1945, I can use two Repulse kits to do other Renowns between 1916 and 1942, :hmmm:.

Thought I'd top up the order with a couple of early destroyers. Combrig do a number of RN destroyers, so they'll find their way into my basket I'm sure :nodding:.

Also arriving today...

20230608-130023.jpg

This T22 Frigate from Starling Models fills the gap between, you guessed it, the T23 that I've recently built and Airfix's 1/600 T21. And guess what, it's Father's Day soon, hopefully a ship or two...

Stuart

• Like 8

On 6/6/2023 at 11:30 AM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday @beefy66, that's an interesting photo of the model show. I see models of the V-1 Doodlebug, aircraft, tanks and vehicles, ships   -   and a severed hand. I'm trying to work out what the overall category would be? 😁 Or is it the hand there to encourage obedience of the "Do Not Touch The Displays" signs.     Regards, Jeff.

I find that most people ultimately act in self-interest one way or another. Rather than "Fragile - Please Do Not Touch", I'd recommend "Danger - These Models Are Finished Using Authentic 1940s Lead and Mercury Containing Paints Which Are Harmful To Health If Touched". They don't care if they break your model. They care if your model might kill them. :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I find that most people ultimately act in self-interest one way or another. Rather than "Fragile - Please Do Not Touch", I'd recommend "Danger - These Models Are Finished Using Authentic 1940s Lead and Mercury Containing Paints Which Are Harmful To Health If Touched". They don't care if they break your model. They care if your model might kill them. :D 

Such cynicism in one so young.................

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

They don't care if they break your model. They care if your model might kill them. :D 

Many years ago I saw  movie, some spy thriller possibly, I only remember one scene towards the end. On a chest of drawers was a beautiful model of a sailing frigate. The bad guy was after some secret stuff in the drawers. He pulled open the top drawer  -  and the model frigate fired a full broadside into his chest. It probably ruined his whole day, not to mention his upper torso!

5 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Such cynicism in one so young.................

Yes, he's showing such promise  .   .   .       😁                                                 Sorry If I've gone a bit OT.

Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

These two have just landed from a UK seller, Chinese Research submersibles in 1/72. They are prepainted snap kits with over 30+ parts apiece, superbly cast and detailed. They come with both stickers and decals, but with a little additional detail painting and mods will become really nice models.

I couldnt resist ive made a start on the 4500m Shen Hai Yong Shi, drilled out the holes for the view ports and awaiting my delivery of kristal klear to add acrylic lenses to model for realism.

spacer.png

spacer.png

All the best Chris

• Like 7

On 09/06/2023 at 08:52, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

One of the bests signs I ever saw was one of the South Coast Model Clubs who used to have signs at shows that read "Every time you touch a model, a baby kitten dies".  Completely bad taste but it might be enough to get the message across!  I had an oik reach across our stand once to point at a model and wiped out half of the rigging on my DORSETSHIRE 😠.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I had an oik reach across our stand once to point at a model and wiped out half of the rigging on my DORSETSHIRE 😠.

I had similar but I was lucky. A few years ago this guy was working on his model of a landing craft, reaching across one of my model ships to do it, instead of moving his model to a safe location. But we had a win/win situation  -  my ship's masts didn't get damaged and neither did the nose on his face!

Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 5

• 3 months later...

Had a run up to the Scale Scotland show in Edinburgh last weekend and got these two kits the bigger version of the KFK in 1/144 scale lots of detail adding possibility with this

And the Schnellboot S38 version 1/72 scale from Foreart details are looking very good compared to the old Revell version.

My builds should be restarting in about two weeks when I get rid of the daughter when I can claim my model room back When my daughter finally moves into her new home after Dads DIY has completely gutted and redecorated over the last 8 weeks.

Stay Safe

beefy

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Well another trip to Scotland this time Glasgow this show has not been held for three years glad to see it back on.

Got three bargains at the show first time in years I have bought any Airfix kits Vintage classics they are labelled as and a fairly new Trumpeter kit

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one of my latest acquisitions; 

embed?resid=C512C73D24E128B7!7314&authke

Must say im impressed with the packaging, the hulls sit in their own plastic guards, 

embed?resid=C512C73D24E128B7!7315&authke

I've tried just putting the two halves together - they fit like a glove! hoping that bodes well for the kit when i get to it, the reviews seem positive at least,

S-boat

• Like 7

embed?resid=42848F2D6BD88EC4!10877&authk

I won this on eBay yesterday for the reasonable price of £28 (RRP is about £90). It's the boat that Captain Roald Amundsen used for his epic first crossing of the North-West passage between 1903 and 1906 - two winters in the ice!

If the Cold Weather GB runs next year I hope to use this in a diorama of Amundsen's winter camp.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

If the Cold Weather GB runs next year I hope to use this in a diorama of Amundsen's winter camp.

That would make for one very interesting diorama.

Gjoa Haven is a hamlet in Nunavut Northern Canada.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gjoa_Haven 

Etymology[edit]

The name Gjoa Haven is from the Norwegian Gjøahavn or "Gjøa's Harbour"; it was named by early 20th-century polar explorer Roald Amundsen after his ship Gjøa. This was derived from the old Norse name Gyða, a compressed compound form of Guðfríðr (guð "god" and fríðr "beautiful"').

It is one of the places I had the pleasure of visiting many years ago in my travels in the North.

The wrecks of HMS Terror and HMS Erebus are in that area as well.

cheers, Graham

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ColonelKrypton said:

That would make for one very interesting diorama.

Gjoa Haven is a hamlet in Nunavut Northern Canada.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gjoa_Haven 

It is one of the places I had the pleasure of visiting many years ago in my travels in the North.

The wrecks of HMS Terror and HMS Erebus are in that area as well.

cheers, Graham

It would make a great WIP too. Telling Amundsen's story would fill many pages. I will do this project, because I want to do a wooden boat diorama, next year if the GB runs or later if it doesn't. I don't want to go into the story just yet because I prefer to tell it with a fresh mind while I work on the boat. 

I also received Amundsen's autobiography today!

51 minutes ago, bissyboat said:

Congratulations Bertie. You should also have won a ticket to the Fram museum so you could see the real Gjoa at first hand. 😄

I've already been but unfortunately I wasn't interested in ships at that time so I was ... bored! It was a corporate hospitality thing. They took us to the Viking ship museum too and at least I appreciated the astonishing grace of that ship. Beautiful

• Like 2