Latest Ship Purchase

Not seen a thread on it so I thought I'd start one about kits we've just bought.

I just got this through the door, really liked the artwork and that's what made me buy it honestly. It's 1/350 Very Fire USS Wisconsin. Not really a common kit I've seen on here.

USS

Not a ship I know much about apart from her basic history, might be worth building her during the Korean War. But that's something to think about later on.

USS

Looks like she'll build into a nicely detailed ship out of the box, but I have been eyeing up the Very Fire upgrade set for her which is massive. One for after HMS King George IV anyway.

• Like 5

Ha! Makes my Matchbox 1/700 Graf Spee (latest buy, to participate in the MB groupbuild) look like a bath toy! 

I've seen the above kit around and can't wait to see how she turns out! Unfortunately just a smidgen over the inside width of a Billy bookcase (my 'panama canal'), a Bismarck will just about fit though...

David

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Unfortunately just a smidgen over the inside width of a Billy bookcase (my 'panama canal'), a Bismarck will just about fit though...

Gidday, I thought the Iowa class were narrower than Bismarck (108 feet vs 116 feet) but certainly longer. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

I've seen the above kit around and can't wait to see how she turns out! Unfortunately just a smidgen over the inside width of a Billy bookcase (my 'panama canal'), a Bismarck will just about fit though...

Apropos of that.

618px-Missouri_panama_canal.jpg

• Like 4

108 foot beam, but less than a foot clearance either side. Definitely not the time for a cross wind, hopefully they had enough butter and brown trousers on board.

6 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I thought the Iowa class were narrower than Bismarck (108 feet vs 116 feet) but certainly longer. Regards, Jeff.

I should've been clearer, you can easily fit two Bismarcks side by side on a popular piece of IKEA furniture, but maybe only one Iowa class (if placed diagonally).

David

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

If anyone is interested, on the airfix website the 1/350 Type 45 destroyer is on its winter sale for £50, quite a good price considering it usually sells for more second hand on eBay.

https://uk.airfix.com/products/type-45-destroyer-a12203?gclid=CjwKCAiA-8SdBhBGEiwAWdgtcGRteXMdhpyx76Jg3PnjOWHJKSfEFtHAxJtYLJV5aqG80So6EmZx6BoCWjYQAvD_BwE

Edited by Boydie

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason I've only just seen this:doh: really like the look if your Wisconsin, strangley I picked up USS Missouri in ww2 fit out to start when I  finish my KGV, great minds and all that...

Edited by Rich75
Typo
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've just seen this thread, my last ship purchase was the trumpeter USS Langley. However, speaking of "Billymaxing" I also suffer this dilemma and haven't worked out what to do about it, it has delayed a few builds as I have several candidates that fall foul in my stash, Missouri, Franklin, Nimitz (although, that's built and sorted, with a purpose built shelf) and Intrepid. It's a bit squeaky bum for Hood and Yamato on the Billy, but they fit and I expect Bismarck would be tight too. I'm tempted to have two Billy's side by side and do a bit of surgery to cut out the sides on a single shelf to have some extra wide shelves for these.

• Like 3

On 10/05/2023 at 23:55, MRMRL said:

I've just seen this thread, my last ship purchase was the trumpeter USS Langley. However, speaking of "Billymaxing" I also suffer this dilemma and haven't worked out what to do about it, it has delayed a few builds as I have several candidates that fall foul in my stash, Missouri, Franklin, Nimitz (although, that's built and sorted, with a purpose built shelf) and Intrepid. It's a bit squeaky bum for Hood and Yamato on the Billy, but they fit and I expect Bismarck would be tight too. I'm tempted to have two Billy's side by side and do a bit of surgery to cut out the sides on a single shelf to have some extra wide shelves for these.

Just on Franklin, my Yorktown provisionally fits, although it is very tight so when the FD goes on we'll see if that's still the case, Bismarck fits no problems, 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Just on Franklin, my Yorktown provisionally fits, although it is very tight so when the FD goes on we'll see if that's still the case, Bismarck fits no problems, 

That's good news for my Hornet, and Bismarck as well 😉

Better here than with the armour and aircraft buy's

So with me retiring a few weeks ago and having been given a very nice Tankard and some money from my ex work colleagues i have been making plans for a big build this winter always liked the pre-Dreadnought looking ships so got myself this and a few extras.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 10

2 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Better here than with the armour and aircraft buy's

So with me retiring a few weeks ago and having been given a very nice Tankard and some money from my ex work colleagues i have been making plans for a big build this winter always liked the pre-Dreadnought looking ships so got myself this and a few extras.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

Look forward to seeing your updates on this one @beefy66

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

From the Northern Model show on Sunday my purchases from Atlantic Models HMS Musketeer as this is the same kit just about for the L class it will be built as HMS Legion as she was built on the Tyne at Palmers yard

Also got another P200 to go with HMS Tyne OPV and some masking tape, Ships boats for ARK ROYAL sanding sticks for resupply and a new cutting mat a good day was had at the show.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 9

14 hours ago, beefy66 said:

From the Northern Model show on Sunday

I was there as well although my only ship purchase was a space ship...

• Like 1

Gidday @beefy66, that's an interesting photo of the model show. I see models of the V-1 Doodlebug, aircraft, tanks and vehicles, ships   -   and a severed hand. I'm trying to work out what the overall category would be? 😁 Or is it the hand there to encourage obedience of the "Do Not Touch The Displays" signs.     Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Modelholic said:

And a model can of Fosters!

Yeah, looks like 1/1 scale. I wonder what brand of kit? 😁

And to get serious, I don't buy kits much now, there not being much in my preferred scale of 1/600. My son got me an old Aurora kit of the Baltimore class heavy cruiser USS St Paul in 1/600 he managed to find plus an old Revell USS Pittsburgh CA-72, also 1/600. At the last WASMEx show here, in May 2022 I found three Trumpeter kits for sale, unfortunately (for me) in 1/700, of USS New Orleans CA-32, USS Pittsburgh CA-72 (again) and the French battleship Richelieu 1943. I thought I could scale them up and use them for dimensions if I can scratch build the ships.

Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

that's an interesting photo of the model show. I see models of the V-1 Doodlebug, aircraft, tanks and vehicles, ships   -   and a severed hand. I'm trying to work out what the overall category would be? 😁 Or is it the hand there to encourage obedience of the "Do Not Touch The Displays" signs.     Regards, Jeff.

Oddly, at the other end of the same table was another bloodied hand along with 3 VERY nice 1/350 scale models of Musashi, Missouri and Tirpitz.

20 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

and a severed hand. I'm trying to work out what the overall category would be? 😁 Or is it the hand there to encourage obedience of the "Do Not Touch The Displays" signs.     Regards, Jeff.

Jeff your right about the DO NOT Touch but it still does not stop people pressing on my sea base and saying is that wet then.  :doh:

10 hours ago, johndon said:

Oddly, at the other end of the same table was another bloodied hand along with 3 VERY nice 1/350 scale models of Musashi, Missouri and Tirpitz.

Jon you were not counting correctly total of three hands and about 15 other do not touch signs but still they try one little old lady try to play with one of the cars thinking the wheels moved.  :shrug:

Those three ships are another of the lads from Washington Club all mine are in a base setting but the Missouri I thought was very good straight OOB a Very Fire kit with some great details.

beefy

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Modelholic said:

If you were to scale the 1:700 kits to 1:600 could you use the hulls for other whiffs?

Gidday Tom, that's a possibility. I was hoping a 1/700 Baltimore class hull would make a 1/600 Cleveland class but it'd be short by about 15mm. Regards, Jeff.