Clementine Mk II Infantry tank. A 3D printed kit.

On the Assumption that two-man infantry support vehicles are a jolly good idea (they're not), and lamenting the inexplicable lack of a mainstream kit of the A11 Matilda I decided I'd design my own. 

This will eventually be released as a printed resin kit in 1:35 and 1:72, but I'd value the opinions of what purports to be a forum with a bit of British bias. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've done some test Prints, but there's still a lot of detail to add. I think I'll do the brackets for the smoke dischargers next....

spacer.png

spacer.png

Size wise think Panzer 2 J. I’m thinking of this vehicle as a support tank for super heavies, like the Tortoise. Basically yapping about clearing infantry and wotnot while the big guns move up.

Edited by Mousemuffins
  • Like 7

Oh it's most definitely 'what if'.   

What if the Matilda 1 had proved a roaring success  and the design was improved?   The Germans had a go a a similar concept with the Panzer 1 F  and Panzer 2 J.   This would be of a similar size and weight, armed with two M2 0.50cal. 

Edited by Mousemuffins
spelling
  • Like 1

If the price and availability were right, I may be interested. I'm not too wedded to reality (no sniggering at the back) to turn my nose up at an unusual British what-if.

That said, you may have to pick a time which post-dates all of those Churchill components... And get rid of the post-war appliqué panels on the air boxes... Oh, but there we go with facts again. 😉

BY the way, I see that Youtube's banjo maestro and champion waffler Harry Houdini is working on an interesting kit of the Turtle which I assume is from you, Mousemuffins. Looks good.

Edited by Ade H

1 hour ago, Ade H said:

And get rid of the post-war appliqué panels on the air boxes... Oh, but there we go with facts again. 😉

Nah. Facts are good. You mean the three wee panels on the side?   I really don't actually know a great deal about Churchills except what I've been able to glean from images.  I was thinking late-ish war?  Any help is good.  If I have the facts, then at least I can weigh them up and decide if it's worth changing things.

1 hour ago, Ade H said:

Harry Houdini is working on an interesting kit of the Turtle

yeah, I've sent out a couple more review samples, but they're languishing in post.

here's some early test prints of the 1/72 version. This is just four parts...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Mousemuffins
  • Like 5

Yeah, those little panels on the sides of the air boxes. Post-war, I think, strictly speaking. But speaking for myself, I don't mind them, given the context here.

Edited by Ade H

9 hours ago, sardaukar said:

Interesting although the visual clues of the Churchill keep making me think it is a superheavy and not a two man tank.

I like to think of it as a super heavy light tank.

spacer.png

(I borrowed somebody elses CAD for the comparison. Not MY Model)  Things like the tracks and suspension and cupola are standard parts from a Churchill or other mid to late war British vehicles.

• Like 5

A little more experimenting for best printness.

I’ve tried combining a bunch of parts to cut down on print times, but the amount of support material becomes a bit too scary.

833M3FI.jpg

So I’m going to print the suspension and wheels separately. The sponsons are a little awkward from a logistical standpoint, and that I can only print three at a time and they will be a 6 hour print. This model could easily turn out to be a bit pricey. I’ll try to keep it a comparable price to other similar kits on the market though. The wee 1/72 version is a MUCH simpler exercise, and significantly less printer intensive.

An interesting comparison:

The top sponson is printed at a resolution of 0.05, and is about five and a half hours.

The bottom is 0.02 and closer to eleven.

44lESHq.jpg

NuGKfln.jpg

there is a difference, but not much. I might throw some paint on them and see how they come up. Suffice to say, I would need a second printer to make producing these viable.

Edit: note these vents are real small. .3mm wide between louvers.

• Like 3

I thhink this looks very believable - and to those saying this comes after the Churchill, why not the Churchill taking design elements form this.... so could pre-date Churchill development

Now with a nice layer or two of AK SCC 15. At least it would be, if it weren’t so darn hot making the paint a tad pebbly. Ah well, didn’t notice until the camera magnified the bejebuz out of it.

BYNlKFb.jpg

ibJ30PL.jpg

again with the finer resolution at the bottom. I don’t feel there’s enough difference to be worried about.

There IS a tiny amount of diagonal banding visible on the lower res version, but two swipes of #800 sandpaper would eliminate that.

0DjWKFl.jpg

I’ll have one more go with printing just the grill at a very fine resolution, but I suspect is may be too prone to warping (but would be far more viable than printing the whole sponson at max res…).

• Like 1

Yeah. nah.

3MWVh2i.jpg

way too bendy. I’ll have another couple of goes, at different angles and wotnot, but I don’t think they’re quite viable.

In other news, the 1/72 version progresses well.

VxSMRXo.jpg

The NEXT print test will be perfect. I just know it will…

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Would there be enough room in the turret for a dude and two fifty cals?

Tom

Yep.  I have an early mock-up picture here some where. Just a mo'.

*rummages....

Ah!

umUdeug.jpg

The current iteration of the turret is actually a bit bigger to incorporate the cupola. 

GBOl03g.jpg

• Like 2

SO close to done.  

spacer.png

Question for British armour buffs: I've been unable to find decent pictures of periscopes that would be typical to the mid/late war period. Just about everything I find contradicts every other.  Should they have a wee rectangular hat or not? Also I'm assuming that by this stage most vehicle tools were stowed in the bins? If not, what tools would you normally see?

• Like 4

antennae in the printer for a test. I beefed the 1/72 up a bit , but will be super impressed if it it actually makes a successful part.

EyKJvvu.jpg

0kF9ezW.jpg

Also First fully assembled prototype test print! (1/72) There are some later details missing and the hull has been printed a half the production resolution to save some time. Only really evident on the front plate where there is a bit of banding. Has also been sprayed with some grey primer.

laFK6rk.jpg

5xAwl91.jpg

WUBcN1f.jpg

• Like 4