1: 48 scale Sword Lightning T4 XM995 92 Sqn RAF Leconfield

No I don't Tweeky, I  only suspect that it might be an area to support the fuselage at some point but that is purely a guess! Would be great if you know.

On another matter of my Lightning ignorance, do you know what the small exhaust looking thing is positioned just ahead of a lowered port flap and just behind a lowered starboard flap?? I suspect they may be vents? What I do know is they are a bug**ger to fit and my carpet has eaten it's fair share 😬😬 My latest method is to  fix them on with satin varnish then when they are dry carefully strengthen with another few coats of satin varnish.

LightningBoy 

Brilliant Tweeky, thanks for clarifying both vents and dotted lines.

As a 'Sooty' I got to run the Engines on XR770 after we finished the Check 3 and when you select reheat on only one engine it wants to leave the chocks and the thrust pushes the nose down quite rapidly which would probably overstress the rear fuselage. I remember other members of the team grimly hanging onto the rear fuselage whilst kneeling on the tailplane looking through a panel at the rear end with a torch looking for fuel leaks when reheat was selected🥴🥴 Happy days pre 'Elf and Safety'.

LightningBoy 

No I don't Tweeky, I  only suspect that it might be an area to support the fuselage at some point but that is purely a guess! Would be great if you know.

On another matter of my Lightning ignorance, do you know what the small exhaust looking thing is positioned just ahead of a lowered port flap and just behind a lowered starboard flap?? I suspect they may be vents? What I do know is they are a bug**ger to fit and my carpet has eaten it's fair share 😬😬 My latest method is to  fix them on with satin varnish then when they are dry carefully strengthen with another few coats of satin varnish.

LightningBoy 

Thanks for the feedback Chis.

LightningBoy 

I was at Farnborough as an ATC Cadet many many years ago when 74 Sqdn were the RAF aerobatic team. They lined up in pairs on the runway ( we were near the threshold ) and when they simultaneously lit the reheat the ground shook! 

John

On the final stretch now...

Decals are all on, those on the undercarriage doors are fitted before fixing them to model

20220317_003554

Undercarriage is built up before fitting to model and fitting is left until after all the decals are on and any weathering is done, especially on the fuselage.

The small doors at the top of the undercarriage are a real challenge to fit when the main undercarriage legs have already been fitted, very fiddly. Fit them before fixing the undercarriage to the model.

20220317_003216

The shoebox is ideal to support the model at most stages of construction, undercarraige now fitted securely and left to set overnight.

20220317_192338

Ejector seats now nearly finished, just awaiting seat pan handles. I will touch up the painted areas with paint of the correct colour on the tip of a cocktail stick.

20220315_150241

Red Top Tip

The main undercarriage of the Lightning is raked forward, not vertical.

LightningBoy

• Like 1