Looking for wing camo pattern references of "White 12" II./JG 53 1940.

WLJayne

Hi all!

I have chosen this aircraft as one of our potential E-1 schemes as it's interesting and fairly brush painter friendly. The aircraft has a profile in both Wing Leader Photo Archive Me109 Units Part 3, and also the same profile in Kagero JG53 "Pik As" booklet, both of which I have. However for the life of me I can't find any photos of this aircraft's wing camo pattern and there is no plan view profile that I can find. The photos of several JG 53 Emils in WPA Part 3 show the factory applied RLM70 and RLM71 splinter scheme which has been overpainted by various patterns of RLM02 and they don't appear to follow a standard (other than the factory applied pattern below the RLM02.) There is a profile below of "White 8" which appears to be based on the photo on page 8 of WPA Pt3, where the pattern of RLM02 appears correct however they have omitted the RLM71 which I don't think is correct especially looking at the photo of White 8's wing where you can see the 70/71 contrast. 

spacer.png

Bevan Brooks did a very nice model of White Outline 12, and the RLM02 pattern looks like it's taken from White 8 but has the original RLM70/71 splinter patter showing through the gaps in the RLM02, which you would expect.

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=2830

spacer.png

Unless I have missed a photo of White Outline 12 in one of the books I have or the websites I have visited, it seems that the wing camo pattern on that particular aircraft is anyone's guess. Does anyone know of a reference photo, or would bit be better to make an "educated guess" at the pattern?

Thanks all!

7 minutes ago, JackG said:

Over at the asisbiz website, there is a white 8 which appears to have similar pattern on the wings as Bevan Brooks build.  Would be nice if he had a link to his build progress to see how he arrived at his particular scheme.

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/JG53-I.html      

That's the same photo as the one I was referring to in the Wingleader book :). I think that Bevan probably used that profile of White 8, but checked it against this photo and kept the original splinter camo under the the RLM02, but that's just a hunch. This may end up being one of those cases where "nobody really knows but this proposed pattern is as plausible as anything else."

According to Merrick's publication Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings 1933 to 1945, experimentation of camouflage patterns and a return to using RLM 02 was already taking place before it was officially announced that 02 was to replace RLM 70 on top surfaces.  JG 53 is specifically mentioned that they used all three top colours as both straight edge and smooth flowing patterns.  He also adds no two aircraft looked exactly the same.  In the the end, this experiment was deemed too complex and time consuming, and showed no advantage over the revised scheme introduced in the last two months of 1939.

spacer.png

regards,

Jack

1 hour ago, JackG said:

According to Merrick's publication Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings 1933 to 1945, experimentation of camouflage patterns and a return to using RLM 02 was already taking place before it was officially announced that 02 was to replace RLM 70 on top surfaces.  JG 53 is specifically mentioned that they used all three top colours as both straight edge and smooth flowing patterns.  He also adds no two aircraft looked exactly the same.  In the the end, this experiment was deemed too complex and time consuming, and showed no advantage over the revised scheme introduced in the last two months of 1939.

regards,

Jack

That's really helpful thanks Jack! So if there's no photo that shows the actual pattern on White Outline 12, it would be reasonable enough to deduce one that's based on all the others. There are quite a few in the Wingleader book, enough to make a good guess I think.