"Hello Rabbit leader, I have some trade for you" - or, just a 9 dressed up as a 1 - new photo's April 27

Just because you can never have too many Spitfires, while waiting for paint to dry on my triple Malta Spitfire builds, I started an ICM Spitfire Mk IXc from the movie 'Battle of Britain'. The ICM kit is no Eduards, but is fairly accurate in outline, (and is in the stash, anyhow).

I started with the wings, removing the canons, canon bulges, and lots of filling, sanding, and rescribing. I also had to shorten the landing gear legs quite a bit, replace the inaccurate wheels, and reprofile the fat propeller blades.

I filled the lower cockpit wing roots and added stringers, scratch built a throttle and landing gear control, and then turned to the ugly seat. it needed thinning, new sides, bottom and front, as well as a back pad. I'm using an Eduard's photo etch QR belt (this is 1969, after all), and also using a left over tubular exhaust from an Eduard's kit.

P1232584

I've got some paint on the interior, so close up can begin ...

Cockpit 1

Cockpit 2

Oh yes, I also had to do something with the weird square spade grip!

It's going to be open canopy, but with the access door closed, Robert Shaw's 'Rabbit leader' has a nice set of crosses across the door that I don't want to loose!

Maskye8_bob_MHIX_1

Thanks for looking,

Colin

• Like 17

I was ready to attach the windscreens and start painting when I realized that the BofB Mk IX's did not have the prominent headrest, so out comes a microsaw, and off it comes. (the simple things you miss will get you every time!)

Cockpit 4

... also, I decided to offset the elevators, rudder and tail wheel to give a little more animation. 

Image2

with the shortened and re-raked landing gear legs, the 'sit' is quite correct now. As issued, it was very stork like!

• Like 9

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to "Hello Rabbit leader, I have some trade for you" - or, just a 9 dressed up as a 1 - photo's Feb 1
15 hours ago, keith in the uk said:

Good work so far , dont forget MK9s had different wheel hubs to the ones in your pic. Three spoke i think ?

I don't think there was a hard and fast rule, in the movie or during the war. There's lots of photos of Mk IX with 5 spoke hubs from the war ...

Image2

Image5

Image1

... and in the movie, it's a real mixed bag. 3 spoke , 4 spoke, and 5 spoke. 

P119_mixture_of_Spitfire_types_in_a_row

I know that one of the aircraft that was marked as AI*A (the one Robert Shaw stood on it's nose by accident!) had 3 spoke, but I'm not sure about the others - I know they used several. The wheel/tire assembly seems to have been interchangeable. 

5-SM411-Battle-of-Britain-film-North-Weald-c.May-1968-Skipper-Robert-Shaw-just-a-bit-too-fierce-with-the-brakes

I might change the wheels if I come up with some spare 3 spokes, but I'm undecided right now (I kinda like the True Details ones)

Postscript:

I found the following from Edgar Brooks ...

"The 5-spoke wheel remained in use throughout the war, up to, and including the IX, though bomb-carriers (e.g. the XVI) were expected to use the "stronger" 4-spoke. From what I've been able to ascertain, the VIII & XIV (and possibly the XIX) used the 4-spoke from the start, maybe because they, too, were expected to carry more weight. The 3-spoke was a post-war item, designed for the 20-series, which drifted over onto other surviving airframes.

Edgar"

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 6

I have some paint on the Spitfire now, and after re-watching the movie, the aircraft did use the post-war 3 spoke wheels. I found them as leftovers from the Airfix 1/48 Mk XIX kit.  Wrong for WW2 but right for the movie! (Thanks 'keith in the uk' for pointing that out!)

Camo 1

Camo 3

I found that I had to shorten and re-rake the gear quite a bit to get a more correct sit ...

Camo 2

... thanks for looking,

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 5

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to "Hello Rabbit leader, I have some trade for you" - or, just a 9 dressed up as a 1 - photo's Feb 5
  • 2 months later...

I finally got around to putting some markings on the Spit. They are a real mix of Fundekals, Scalemaster/War Eagle, BarracudaCals, and Fantasy Printshop. 

Maskye8_bob_MHIX_1

decals

decals 2

Its slowly getting there ...

Hope you like so far,

Colin

• Like 3

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to "Hello Rabbit leader, I have some trade for you" - or, just a 9 dressed up as a 1 - new photo's April 27