Pocher Bugatti Type 50T

Endeavor

Hi Endeavor🙂

Nice to see you start with this build, I’ll follow your progress with interest.

Thanks for referring to my own work, I'm not sure I deserve such an honor.

It reminds me that my LadyBug is always on its shelf, expecting impatiently I go on with her resurrection.

Pity, it requires I reorganize in depth my workspace, what I’ve not had time to realize, although I retired one year ago.

I started this kit 32 years ago, so, honestly, a few months more don’t matter !

• Like 1

Wow …I think I’ll have to check my wheels because I didn’t notice this bad alignment before 😟

Very good job on those parts, indeed 👍

Oh , I noticed you painted gold the distributor cap.

I’m not sure it’s right …At that time they were often made of bakelite, and I think the color was often a kind of brown-red, like Tamiya Hull red.

Nevertheless, it’s difficult to be affirmative 

• Like 2

On 1/26/2022 at 4:53 PM, CrazyCrank said:

Oh , I noticed you painted gold the distributor cap.

I’m not sure it’s right …At that time they were often made of bakelite, and I think the color was often a kind of brown-red, like Tamiya Hull red.

Nevertheless, it’s difficult to be affirmative 

Thank you for the kind words.

After I filled the slot between the cap and the body, and drilled the holes on the distributor cap, I painted the cap with thinned copper paint in lieu of primer.  You are correct, the cap will be painted Tamiya Hull Red.

So far, am successfully resisting the impulse to apply chrome Bare Metal Foil to the body of the distributor.

• Like 1

I've been struggling for a couple of days with this website's password recovery procedure and it's use of Captcha but have finally regained access.

On the Bugatti Trust website there is a photo of the rear engine mounting.  This shows a channel section rather than a horizontal tube.  If you email me at [email protected] I will forward it to you.

• Like 1

I love the details you are adding and it is great you share them. I have this kit in the stack so for me this will be helping with planning my build. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another way of tackling small square boot heads may be small square Plastruct extrusion, either solid or tube. Easy to use and can be either cut with a razor saw or parted off in a mini lathe.

In a lathe it is ok to stick it through a 3 jaw chuck and set a small diameter stop in a drill chuck in the tail stock of the machine. I use a drill bit mounted backwards so the flat end of the shank becomes the stop. Leaving the tail stock locked in position, the material can be pushed through the machine's 3 jaw chuck and parted off repeatedly and accurately  for consistent length piece parts.

• Like 2

I applaud Endeavor's efforts to improve details of the Pocher Bugatti T50 altho' after my well-intentioned comments on the Pocher and MMC engine mounts he may well regaad me as Which Tyler, leader of the pedants' revolt.  I'm sure he will find interest in the Bugatti parts lists on the website of Crosthwaite & Gardiner, one of the UK's leading vehicle restorers whose achievements include toolroom copies of Auto Union and Mercedes racing cars from the 1930s.

The list for T46 and T50 shows that the machine screws are actually countersunk with the square head entirely within the perimeter of the upper surface of the head of the machine screw.

I'm learning a great deal for my own Pocher T50.

• Like 1